• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Since no one else will bring it up, I will!

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

This post is for the Bynum fans that feel he is worth the #3 pick in this years draft. Kobe Bryant was told in an interview that there was a chance for the lakers to acquire Jason Kidd last year but was not pursued because the Nets wanted Bynum included in any deal. Here was kobe's response after finding out about the possible trade this year. Note, Kobe was unaware that the interview was being taped!

"Are you kidding me?" Bryant says in the video before using several profanities in adding that the Lakers should "ship out" Bynum.

Are you kidding me? I would NEVER trade #3 for Bynum, unless they Lakers bought out Lamar Odom's contract and they traded him here too after he signed the veteran's minimum.

I don't even understand how the Lakers could trade Bynum for J. Kidd. Jason Kidd makes Kevin Garnett money.

ok so the guy had a rough end to last season.

he's a legit 7 footer thats only 19!!! he's still a project and i still expect him to be a very good player within the next couple of years. (all star within 3 years)

having said that yes he's not worth the 3rd pick, but i think a lot of you are undervaluing his worth.

• Premium Member

Quote:

but i think a lot of you are undervaluing his worth.

Are you including Kobe Bryant as someone who undervalues his worth also? Do you think that he would throw his own teammate under the bus if he help the Lakers win more Basketball games. Think about it!

Quote:

Quote:

[/indent]

Are you including Kobe Bryant as someone who undervalues his worth also? Do you think that he would throw his own teammate under the bus if he help the Lakers win more Basketball games. Think about it! [/quote

think about what? the fact that kobe will throw just about anyone under the bus for his own agenda? the comments that kobe made were in context to trading bynum (a project) for kidd (an established nba star).

kobe is a wonderful talent, but he needs to grow up. he's starting to realize that he can't win on his own and now he's desperate to get on a better team so he can try to win another championship. playing with a 7 ft project who has massive amounts of potential but will take a few years for him to realize it is not on the top of kobe's wish list.

i think he burned enough bridges this offseason, one more wasnt' going to change a thing.

• Premium Member

Quote:

kobe is a wonderful talent, but he needs to grow up. he's starting to realize that he can't win on his own and now he's desperate to get on a better team so he can try to win another championship.

i think he burned enough bridges this offseason, one more wasnt' going to change a thing.

So you discredit Kobe who played and practiced with Bynum for 2 years because he doesn't agree with your assessment of Bynum either? Nice!

Quote:

So you discredit Kobe who played and practiced with Bynum for 2 years because he doesn't agree with your assessment of Bynum either? Nice!

Unless Bynum has been putting up numbers like Shaq, Mourning, Ewing etc did in their 1st few years...you would have to be a complete moron to pass on adding Kidd to a lineup that would also include Odum and Kobe.

You would have a hall of fame coach, two future hall of fame guards and a great role player/rebounder and scorer in Odum. A total moron to think Bynum was asking to much for Jason Kidd!

I think Laker management is really losing their grasp on reality...

Two things:

First is from last year I remember that Buss was totally against trading Bynum. The coach and others were not. So there was a split in the camp. His mind could change as things heat up in LA.

And remember when Bynum first played Shaq, went right at him and dunked. That was unbelievable. Lot's of talent. I wonder if he would do better in a different system and one where the team leader isn't dishing him. For a young player like him, that could be devastating. I don't think he is worth the 3rd pick. We would need something else.

Quote:

Quote:

Are you including Kobe Bryant as someone who undervalues his worth also? Do you think that he would throw his own teammate under the bus if he help the Lakers win more Basketball games. Think about it!

Kobe is a spoiled star who only cares about winning NOW. He doesn't want to wait on a young kid to develop into a future star. He wants a star that will contribute right now. I think that was more of why he said what he did. The Lakers feel Bynum can be a legit big man. They had him workout with Kareem one offseason. I heard the most annoying man in the NBA, Bill Walton talk about it once on a game. He said Kareem said Bynum was still very raw, but had all the tools to be a good big man.

Quote:

Quote:

I definitely think Kobe is willing to throw a teammate or two under the bus. No question.

Fortunately, JJ is a much more friendly dude then Kobe but he all but admitted that he would have loved to have played with Paul despite the fact that everyone and his brother knows that the Hawks continue to get flak for passing on him in favor of Marvin.

I find it interesting also that people here are ready to call Bynum a bust yet believe Marvin is a potential all-star. Bynum is a year younger then Marvin and already putting up more impressive numbers. I am not saying Bynum is anything more then a project, but just noticing the hypocracy that runs rampant here.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Bynum is a year younger then Marvin and already putting up more impressive numbers.

--------G GS MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT STL BLK TO PF AST PTS

Season 82 53 21.9 247-443 .558 0-3 .000 143-214 .668 1.7 4.2 5.9 .15 1.56 1.40 3.04 1.1 7.8

-------64 63 34.0 306-706 .433 11-45 .244 216-265 .815 1.3 4.0 5.3 .81 .47 1.98 2.98 1.9 13.1

I don't see the more impressive numbers! Help me out please. Plus Marvin was MVP of the summer league last year was Bynum?

Quote:

Plus Marvin was MVP of the summer league last year was Bynum?

whoot whoot!! really? WOW! mvp of the summer league. amazing.

everyone knows that the summer league is dominated by guards and swingmen. bigs dont' get any touches and it's almost impossible for them to really shine as much as the smaller guys.

guess who else had a stellar summer leage performance last year? louis williams. he also ended up spending a good part of last season in the nbdl.

look buddy. nobody's saying bynum is all world but to dismiss his potential is stupid.

Quote:

Quote:

Bynum is a year younger then Marvin and already putting up more impressive numbers.

--------G GS MIN FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT STL BLK TO PF AST PTS

Season 82 53 21.9 247-443 .558 0-3 .000 143-214 .668 1.7 4.2 5.9 .15 1.56 1.40 3.04 1.1 7.8

-------64 63 34.0 306-706 .433 11-45 .244 216-265 .815 1.3 4.0 5.3 .81 .47 1.98 2.98 1.9 13.1

I don't see the more impressive numbers! Help me out please. Plus Marvin was MVP of the summer league last year was Bynum?

Look at the minutes played and equalize them. Then come back to me. In 2/3 of the minutes Bynum averaged more rebounds and blocked shots. If both averaged 48 minutes per game their numbers would be:

Marvin: 18.5 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.7 assists and .66 blocks.

Bynum: 17 points, 12.9 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 3.42 blocks.

And Dion Glover was MVP of a summer league but what did that get him? Please.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This post is for the Bynum fans that feel he is worth the #3 pick in this years draft. Kobe Bryant was told in an interview that there was a chance for the lakers to acquire Jason Kidd last year but was not pursued because the Nets wanted Bynum included in any deal. Here was kobe's response after finding out about the possible trade this year. Note, Kobe was unaware that the interview was being taped!

"Are you kidding me?" Bryant says in the video before using several profanities in adding that the Lakers should "ship out" Bynum.

...conclusions?

Suggests you just really don't pay attention to anything but how it fits into your agenda... if you aren't in politics, you should be.

1) It is clear that Kobe is down on Bynum.

2) Kobe is a PLAYER.

3) While Kobe may desire to wear other hats (eg, SCOUT... COACH... FRONT OFFICE EXEC... ), the Lakers have never called upon his vast pool of talent evaluation knowledge to help them out.

(Who knows why.)

4) Lakers talent people have evaluated Bynum differently than Kobe.

5) Independent of the Lakers, another team's talent evaluation people evaluated Bynum more like the Lakers did.

(Very important point there... demonstrates that the Lakers aren't overvaluing their own just out of bias.)

6) Possible attributions for the inconsistency b/t the opinions of the Lakers and Nets talent evaluation people and Kobe are probably numerous... but arguably the most obvious attribution would be that Kobe would naturally have a shorter view of things, in light of his desire to win championships NOW.

7) If you are Kobe, it's easy to take the view that a 19 year-old is not going to be as likely to help your team win said championships as is an NBA All-Star PG.

Duh.

So, Peoria... I do thank you for bringing this topic to everyone's attention. I'm away on business right now, so I might have missed it except that I've got this hour for lunch in my hotel room... you're a good soul.

I realize that this isn't the way you'd intended for it to translate, of course. While it is true that the argument has doubled back and served to implode your chain of logic, you should feel good that, nonetheless, you have helped make the truth easier to see...

And after all, truth is what we're all about anyhow around here, not just defending our own positions out of a testosterone-induced stupor.... right?

I'll give you this, and maybe this can salve your feelings a bit: Bynum is only as old as Conley, and I've been one of those very skeptical that a player that young could be of much value to us in 07-08. And I have to hold onto that principle, not just in order to be consistent, but b/c I think it's true. So, maybe I'm more on the Aldridge bandwagon than the Bynum bandwagon having given it more thought through that prism.

So, if the shorter view is important and if BK feels that 07-08 season is critical (and I admit, I think he's got to show some significant tangible progress this season or significant momentum will be lost, especially w/o a 2008 draft pick in the offing)... then there are better ways to go than obtaining Bynum.

Otoh, if BK is still determined to take a longer view, he's not going to come out of this draft with a better player who fits in a more important roster slot than Bynum.

munching_out.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

4) Lakers talent people have evaluated Bynum differently than Kobe.

5) Independent of the Lakers, another team's talent evaluation people evaluated Bynum more like the Lakers did.

(Very important point there... demonstrates that the Lakers aren't overvaluing their own just out of bias.)

Of course there is no way that the Lakers are wrong and Kobe is right! And Scouts around the league never screw up an evaluation of a project right? That is why the top 5 picks in the draft always succeed because scouts don't get it wrong right? But we shall see next year!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Of course there is no way that the Lakers are wrong and Kobe is right! And Scouts around the league never screw up an evaluation of a project right? That is why the top 5 picks in the draft always succeed because scouts don't get it wrong right?

Great reasoning, Peoria.

Maybe NBA teams would be more successful if they would just get rid of their scouts and let the single best player on their rosters act as the talent evaluation department...

(Seriously, brother, if that's the best you can do, I guess that speaks for itself... it's probably inappropriate for me to say it, but having acknowledged that risk, I think you're embarrassing yourself the longer you try to play defense on this one... better just to say "I don't like Bynum and even if other NBA talent evaluation types disagree with me, at least I can be happy that Kobe stands with me"... and just let it go at that.)

munching_out.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Of course there is no way that the Lakers are wrong and Kobe is right! And Scouts around the league never screw up an evaluation of a project right? That is why the top 5 picks in the draft always succeed because scouts don't get it wrong right?

Great reasoning, Peoria.

Maybe NBA teams would be more successful if they would just get rid of their scouts and let the single best player on their rosters act as the talent evaluation department...

(Seriously, brother, if that's the best you can do, I guess that speaks for itself... it's probably inappropriate for me to say it, but having acknowledged that risk, I think you're embarrassing yourself the longer you try to play defense on this one... better just to say "I don't like Bynum and even if other NBA talent evaluation types disagree with me, at least I can be happy that Kobe stands with me"... and just let it go at that.)

munching_out.gif

Again we shall see!