Latest information (long)

Sothron

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

The fans have to step up at this point if this happens. I might have to cancel my season tickets as well if Wright is chosen at #3 over Horford and Yi. That is just mindboggling to me!

I think that's a great idea, and I'd love to see all Hawks season ticket holders who share the anti-Wright viewpoint to do the same thing. But IMO it'd be much more effective if it were done beforehand, rather than after the fact. In other words, write the ASG right now (their email information is readily available), and just be straight-up and tell them how strongly you feel, and that drafting Wright just might force you over the edge into cancelling your season tickets.

If enough people did that, then the ASG could have time to forbid BK from taking that course. But if people waited till after we drafted Wright to announce they would no longer continue their season ticket purchases, then what good does that do? I'd say none. It would already be too late, cause we'd already have drafted Wright.

All I have to say is BK would be carted out of Atlanta for drafting Wright another project. Why don't the hawks have Wright and Horford match up against each other in these tryouts to see who is the better player?

Since Law played better than Crit I wouldn't mind him at 11 and horford at 3. We need some potential studs guys that have athletic ability and a brain in there head. I have always said the Hawks lack basketball IQ Law and Horford have it.To bad Conley isn't even considered I would have liked to see him matchup with Law to see who is better another stupid BK move,or perhaps its still on the schedule?

Quote:

Quote:

I sniff BS too.

It's only a week left, I'm willing to wait.

I agree with you 100% Diesel. Total BS and way to much drama. Like a damn soap opera. If you ever had any doubts as to why we are the laughing stock of the NBA; this post should put them to rest.

I agree with you both. He has every angle covered so no matter what happens he can say that his source was correct.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I sniff BS too.

It's only a week left, I'm willing to wait.

I agree with you 100% Diesel. Total BS and way to much drama. Like a damn soap opera. If you ever had any doubts as to why we are the laughing stock of the NBA; this post should put them to rest.

I agree with you both. He has every angle covered so no matter what happens he can say that his source was correct.

rolleyes.gif

Yes, you do know that every draft by every team in every sport can only have 100% agreement on what to do and no one on the team or the front office could possibly disagree.

• Premium Member

Why? It sounds like the ownership is more displeased with Woodson than with Knight.

What picks satisfy both parties' wishes?

Yi - potential, revenue (international)

Critt - potential, revenue (local)

***If this is the pick, surely Knight has enough sense to ship out one or more of Smith/Wiliams/Childress for a center/PG.

The only other synthesis that sounds feasible at this point is:

Aldridge - potential, ability

Critt - potential, revenue (local)

***If this can be pulled off, your offseason is complete. How do you feel about AJ as the starting PG?

The least preferrable option is the one many are most in favor of:

Horford - ability (potential is lower to Knight IMO)

Conley - ability (potential is lower to Knight IMO)

(I'm also really terrified on Knight's attraction to Brandan Wright. While I'm more optimistic about his future than most on this board, he's several years further off than even Yi projects. At the very least, Yi will add another jumpshooter to this team).

Everyone is knocking Brandan Wright for not working out against anyone, but the last time I checked, neither Al Horford nor Mike Conley Jr. are working out with anyone else as well. Most of the top prospects don't work out against anyone else. Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Mike Conley Jr., Yi Jianlian, and Brandan Wright are all doing solo workouts. Does that mean the Hawks have to take all of those guys off their board?

If Mike Woodson is pushing for Al Horford with the 3rd pick or even Mike Conley Jr. with that pick, then I'm going to have to side with Mike Woodson over Billy Knight and the ownership. Because if Mike is really pushing for Horford and/or Conley, then I think it is because Mike takes defense into account a lot more than the rest of the group. I really don't know how much proof needs to be put out there to show that you win championships with defense and playing fundamental basketball.

On the ownership's view, it looks like they are looking more at the marketing picture. Yi Jianlian will certainly bring in more money. However, I don't think he will do much to change the wins and losses on the court because he is a weak defender at this point. I still believe that to facilitate his potential in the NBA, he needs to be in a wide open attack that doesn't put much emphasis on defensive play and/or overall fundamentals.

I do like the fact that the ownership is looking local for a potential draw though. I do like Javaris Crittenton as a prospect. I'm sure the push for Dwight Howard is a combination of everyone involved. Getting Dwight would be a coup for the team on the court and off the court. Teaming Dwight with Josh Smith and Javaris Crittenton would do a lot to create a stir within Atlanta, IMO. I think their desire to look local means that we can expect at least some talk about an extension for Josh Smith soon. Even if Billy had a good deal on the table with him involved, I'm not sure ownership would allow it to be made.

• Premium Member

Quote:

So do you still think BK is thinking in "win now" mode?

Sadly, no. It sounds like I was right about the ownership and Woodson, FWIW.

I'm okay with Yi/Critt if the Hawks get a starting-caliber PG in a trade, preferrably involving Childress. Besides, whether you're talking Yi or Horford, you need to move Shelden for a more complimentary center...

...I'd love to know how secure Knight feels in his job. Obviously he knows that Wright would take a while to develop, he has to know that, right? Right? Right?

(I still maintain that Wright will be a good NBA PF if he reaches his potential. But he's years away from contributing on both sides of the ball. And by years I mean 4-5).

Guest Walter

Quote:

Everyone is knocking Brandan Wright for not working out against anyone, but the last time I checked, neither Al Horford nor Mike Conley Jr. are working out with anyone else as well. Most of the top prospects don't work out against anyone else. Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Mike Conley Jr., Yi Jianlian, and Brandan Wright are all doing solo workouts. Does that mean the Hawks have to take all of those guys off their board?

I hadn't noticed. Good point.

W

Quote:

So do you still think BK is thinking in "win now" mode?

He is thinking more along the lines of "win never" mode.

He'd better be thinking win now. I don't think he gets another year unless they do something significant.

RE Soth's info: if you step back, it makes sense from how the owners are handcuffed by Belkin. How Woody is handcuffed by BK's draft picks. And BK is handcuffed/handicapped by his own ingnorance. He has not shown the ability to learn from his mistakes in past drafts. That's a sign of ignorance or being hard headed.

I think Brandan is closer to contributing offensively than most think. No, he doesn't have a lot of range on his shot and is a poor free throw shooter, but the guy does have great touch on his shot around the basket. He's got a nice little jump hook that he can go left and right with that is nearly unstoppable. He has also flashed some turnaround jumper ability in the post. I think he's more polished offensively than some are willing to admit, and his offense is centered around his ability in the post.

Defense is where I think he will struggle the most, and that will continue until he gains the strength he needs to play in the post. This guy is not a small forward by any means. Brandan is a true post player that simply lacks the size and strength to make an immediate impact. However, he's got great athleticism and overall ability that makes him a projection at this point. I said it in my rankings. He's ranked 8th on my board at this time, but he could end up being the 3rd best player from this draft in 3 years.

Quote:

but the guy does have great touch on his shot around the basket.

it doesn't matter because he can't post anyone up inside. They will just push him out. And if he gets pushed out he isn't a triple threat, he is no threat.

BK is a moron, plain and simple.

Quote:

I think Brandan is closer to contributing offensively than most think. No, he doesn't have a lot of range on his shot and is a poor free throw shooter, but the guy does have great touch on his shot around the basket. He's got a nice little jump hook that he can go left and right with that is nearly unstoppable. He has also flashed some turnaround jumper ability in the post. I think he's more polished offensively than some are willing to admit, and his offense is centered around his ability in the post.

Defense is where I think he will struggle the most, and that will continue until he gains the strength he needs to play in the post. This guy is not a small forward by any means. Brandan is a true post player that simply lacks the size and strength to make an immediate impact. However, he's got great athleticism and overall ability that makes him a projection at this point. I said it in my rankings. He's ranked 8th on my board at this time, but he could end up being the 3rd best player from this draft in 3 years.

I agree with this. I don't think Wright is a bad prospect, and I think he can flat out score in the post. I just think he's not right for us since he's too skinny and doesn't rebound well enough or play defense well enough. Horford provides more of what we need.

Basically, the only way I'll be happy is if we draft Horford or Conely. I like Horford better since we have a chance at some decent PG prospects later in the draft, but I wouldn't mind Conely. Mostly I just don't want Yi or Wright.