• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on trading for a star veteran (long)

Admin

i'm sorry guys but i'm willing to give up the bank in order to get dwight howard. quality swingmen are a dime a dozen. guys that can fill it up are all over the place. big men with size, athletiscm and the right attidude are almost extinct. you win championships with a big man. (unless you have mj)

i say throw out a trade for jj, zaza, chills, lue and #11 for dwight, arroyo and battie... i know they won't even bit on this...but

then you trade #3 and speedy to philly for #12, #21

then you draft stuckey at 12 and morris almond at 21.

arroyo, stuckey, marvin, jsmith, dwight howard

speedy/aj, salim, almond, shelden/solo, battie

plaaaaaaaayoffs.

Quote:

I agree, but the whole point of bring Dwight Howard here is to team him up with Josh Smith (his best friend) in the front court, which would be explosive and formidable at the least.

This is Orlando's team without Dwight Howard next year:

Starters:

PG - Nelson

G -

SF - Turkoglu

PF -

F/C - Darko

F/C - Battie

F - Garrity

PG - Dooling

SF - Ariza

G - Bogans

G - Redick

Where are the holes guys? At guard, with the absence of Hill. And PF/C, with the absence of Howard.

Now who's the better player as of right now, Marvin Williams or Josh Smith?

This is different from the Memphis situation and Gasol. 1) Gasol asked to be traded and 2) Memphis is having a little trouble with their finances these days, and may look just to get his number off the books.

Because of that, they may be willing to take on expiring contracts + the #3 pick, in order to move Gasol. And we wouldn't have to give up a Josh Smith in the deal, to get Gasol . . probably.

When you talk about Howard, we're the ones pursuing him, not the Magic trying to get rid of him. The Magic are prepared to sign this guy to the Max right now, according to ESPN Radio. To get Howard, the Hawks are going to have to give up a player that can have an immeadiate impact on that team. That player is Josh Smith folks. Not Marvin. Not Chill. Smith.

If people go after Darko, they're going to possibly need 2 players in the front court to replace both Howard and Darko. So any player involved in a deal with Howard, better be a superstar, regardless of position . . or a young guy who may can step in and replace what Howard gave them at the PF.

So at minimum, you're talking Josh Smith + #11 for Howard. The Magic are probably asking for Josh Smith + #3 for Howard. At minimum, they'll want Marvin + #3 + #11.

Even if Marvin completely blew up in Orlando, they've gone down that road before with T-Mac. A great SF is good to have, but only when you have solid players around him and a decent frontcourt. If you replace Howard with a frontcourt player that can score and be a shot blocking presence ( like Smith ), you'll possibly still have your inside-outside game.

And they'll use that #3 pick to bolster the frontline even more, by drafting Horford. Or possibly, they get a guy like Corey Brewer.

Magic lineup if they get Smith + #3 for Howard.

PG - Nelson

G - Dooling

F - Smith

F - Horford

F/C - Darko

That at least gives them the flexibility to replace Howard, with two athletic forwards. And both Smith and Horford could move down one spot, and play the 4 or the 5 if need be.

Hawks lineup.

PG - Speedy ( or Law @ #11 )

G - JJ

F - Marvin

F - Shelden

F/C - Howard

When you look at the fact that Howard is still improving, I don't see how the Hawks could turn down even a Smith + #3 deal for Howard. If they have the utmost confidence that Marvin can really turn into a consistent offensive threat very soon, and that Shelden can at least hold his own when given major minutes at the 4 or the 5, how do you turn a Smith + #3 down? And you still get to keep the #11 and get your PG?

If a final draft day offer comes on the table, I think the deal will be Smith + #3 for Howard.

And I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Is it possible that Dwight doesn't sign an extension with the Magic and he becomes a FA after this season? I believe he becomes an RFA and the Magic can match any offer we give him, but if they make a run at a big FA like Rashard Lewis this offseason we may have more cap then them. I support getting Dwight in any way possible, but I'd rather wait a season and only lose cap room then get him next season and lose both picks, Marv and Chill.

fine

do smith/3

draft critt at 11

speedy/critt/aj

jj/chill/slim

marvin/chill

shelden/marvin/howard/solo

howard/zaza/shelden/solo

then smith will opt out next summer and come back to atlanta!

speedy/critt

jj/chill/slim

marvin/chill/smoove

smoove/howard/marvin

howard/shelden/zaza/solo

champions in 4 years!

JJ, Smith, and Howard could just about go 3 on 5 and get through the Eastern Conference.

This is why I don't understand KG not wanting to go to Boston. He and Pierce would definitely do some damage, he must be fairly certain that PHX can work a deal because I don't see how he could possibly choose Minnesota over Boston.

Quote:

Smith + #3 for Howard?

Wow.

That's the only way Orlando is giving up Howard. Either that, or we give them both Smith and Marvin, and we keep the #3. But I think they'd rather have the #3 and Smith.

This Howard talk is foolish, if you're not willing to give up Smith. You have to look at this from the other perspective as well. Dwight is their most marketable player. He's also their best player. At the least, Orlando has to get back something they can sell the franchise to, as well as a young talent that could possibly be at or just below Dwight's level. Smoove is that guy.

For us, it pretty much solves our problem at center. It also allows Shelden to play 30+ minutes a game, to see if he can be that double-double guy that all the scouts think he could be. It also allows Marvin to become almost strictly an offensive player.

Money wise, it's cheaper to go with Horford at #3, and see if he becomes something special playing the 5. But if we really want Howard, we're going to have to give up Smoove . . period.

Here's my only trade offer for JO.

#11 / Childress / Claxton / Zaza /Wright

for O'neal works on the tradechecker. We still have the expiring deals of Lue/AJ to compensate for the large salary Josh Smith will require. If the draft were to go this way, I'd do this trade....

#3 - Boston - Al Horford

#4 - Memphis - Mike Conley

#5 - Atlanta - Yi Jianlian

#3 to Boston for #5 / Rondo

Lue / Salim to Seattle for Damien Wilkins

Rondo / AJ

Johnson / Wilkins

Marvin / Yi

Smith / Yi / Jones

O'Neal / Shelden

• Premium Member

Outside of the insider posts that generated a LOT of comments this is one of the better posts. It lists actually salaries of veteran players and forces bloggers to consider what the Hawks would have to 'send back' with salaries to acquire those players. As indicated, to acquire some players, it would require a 3rd and/or 4th team to be involved. I don't think we can get someone like KG, Kobe, JP, etc. While it may be fun to speculate, it's highly unlikely.

My preference is to se us package the #3 pick with reasonable assets to acquire a big man like Gasol. In order to get something of quality, you've got to give something of quality. The only untouchables I waould have in this potential acquisition would be JJ, JSmoove, and Marvin.

If we are unable to swing a deal for a veteran with this pick, I could go for Yi or Horford. Yi is risky but one can't ignore the economic impact he would have for the franchise. Him turning out to be as advertise would be icing on the cake. Horford seems solid however I'm not personally sold on him. I'll fall back to actual player evaluations regarding this pick.

I also like the idea of possibly trading #11/assets to Portland for JJackand Pryz, if that is a possibility. When healthy, Pryz was a good defensive center that clogged the middle, got rebounds, and was a good trigger for fastbreaks. Because most of us are unsure as to why the team did not make a committment to him a few years ago, this may make this iffy.

If we keep the #11 pick, we definitely should take the best PG remaining. If we have choices , my preference would be Law over Critt, only beause he is closer to being NBA ready. Per Bernie, Speedy should be healthy going into the season so Law could play in spots to get experience without having much pressure. Some might say this is a better situation for Critt however we may need Law to start sooner based on Speedy's health. I would not feel comfortable with Critt doing that this year.

I can't wait until Thursday night!