• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

And despite his struggles in shooting drills,'
Woodson said that Conley stood out as the most complete prospect in terms of a "true" point guard.

If we draft Speedy... I mean Conley, teams will fall back into the paint and force him to shoot... It will be Brevin Knight all over again!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Thanks so if we take a PG it Will Be Conley. Coach said Conley stood out as the most complete PG . He can do it all. His shooting will imrpove...

Hmmmm... maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but as I read Woodson's comments, there's a whole lot more doubt in those words than there is confidence.

I'm with Diesel on this one... I've been thinking about the comparisons with Brevin Knight for the last week.

• Premium Member

The guy can't shoot. DO you wish to just ignore that. He can be the best Pure PG since Kidd. If he can't shoot, he's not the best PG for a team that has the worse FG% in the league. Neither does he have the size to be a good drive and dish PG. It's a recipe for Speedy part 2.

NUMEROUS occasions and Knight is NOWHERE NEAR as quick, strong or athletic as Conley. If Brevin Knight had Conley's athletic ability, I would LOVE to have him - whether he could shoot or not.

TJ Ford can't shoot but if he could stay healthy, I would LOVE to have him as our PG.

Bottom line - I am not a big fan of taking Conley at #3 but I do think that he is the best PG prospect in the draft and I think he would make all our guys better.

• Premium Member

"I had a great time in this city the last time I was here. There's a lot of memories," a smiling Conley said after his workout. "Hopefully, I'll have a chance to create a lot more."

And any concerns about his size (6-foot-1, 175 pounds) were alleviated quickly, according to Hawks coach Mike Woodson.

"I think his speed eliminates all that," Woodson said. "The fact that he's quick and he can change direction with the ball, he's not bad defensively from the game tapes we watched. Again, he's got to do it at this level, the major level. He did it in high school and college. But he has to do it on this level."

ASIDE: First, "not bad" isn't exactly glowing words for a player that some want to be selected with the THIRD pick of the entire draft. And why was it necessary to repeat that?... those aren't the words of someone who's confident.

The Hawks worked out all three of the draft's top rated point guards — Conley, Acie Law and Javaris Crittenton. And despite his struggles in shooting drills, Woodson said that Conley stood out as the most complete prospect in terms of a "true" point guard.

ASIDE: Practically everyone agrees on that point.

"He's a leader," Woodson said. "He's a quality guy from a great background and he's one at every level. I don't question his leadership. He's been in a position before. But to do it at this level, and do it night in and night out, that's where the test will occur.

ASIDE: Same doubt... even almost the same words indicating same doubt.

"But he's ready, we just have to make a decision as to whether he's ready to come and do these things for our ball club. Because it's a major learning curve."

ASIDE: Major? Sounds as if Woodson's heart is set on someone for whom it is not a "major" learing curve, at least... but then, it's no revelation that Woodson is inclined toward some veterans at this stage (... and I'm certainly not one to argue with him).

munching_out.gif

• Premium Member

I do like Brevin. I would trade Lue or AJ or Lo for Brevin just like that.

BUT NEVER a #3 pick in the draft.

I wouldn't even trade Marvin for Brevin and I think Marvin is bust city.

I wouldn't spend a #3 pick on Ford Neither.

Here's the point. We have the opportunity to get a franchise player with this pick. And half of you want to get some Dale Davis or Brevin Knight repeat. That's not franchise player. Give me a break. We will be the laughing stock of HISTORY Replacing PTL if we get it this wrong in this draft... because we would have missed Paul, Deron, and Yi...

What shall we say then... We were taking the safe pick?

leb.gif

• Premium Member

The Hawks are trying to be discreet.

But if you watch and pay attention, you can easily see that Critt and Law are better for this team than Conley.

I believe that Conley will drop to LAC on draft day. He is just not built for this level.

Law would have destroyed him in a 1 on 1 workout.