sturt

• Premium Member

Here's the story:

Quote:

Lakers trying snap up KG

Mike Bresnahan

Los Angeles Times

Jun. 25, 2007 03:30 PM

LOS ANGELES - The owners of the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves have begun talks for a trade that would involve sending Kevin Garnett to the Lakers, NBA sources said Monday.

The talks turned into discussions about a four-way deal among the Lakers, Timberwolves, Indiana Pacers and Boston Celtics, in which the Lakers would have gotten Garnett. However, the deal broke down, reportedly because the Celtics did not like what they would have gotten, ending the four-way negotiations.

The Lakers are now back to direct two-team talks with the Timberwolves. However, sources say, Minnesota General Manager Kevin McHale wants young players and high draft choices and
isn't keen on on the Lakers' offer of Andrew Bynum, who is young (19), and Lamar Odom (27), who isn't

I'm still thinking that we somehow figure into this... maybe.

We DO like Bynum, and we COULD take Odom... should we think some more about this?

There are a lot of people that are swooning over Andrew Bynum simply because he has size. They see 7'1", 300 lbs, and they immediately think he can play center. They don't take into account that the guy has no skills on the basketball court.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I find it interesting that McHale doesn't like Bynum. McHale may be an idiot GM, but you have got to think that he does understand what makes a good "big".

Translation:

"McHale is an idiot GM...

Except, when he agrees with me, of course."

rolleyes.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

There are a lot of people that are swooning over Andrew Bynum simply because he has size. They see 7'1", 300 lbs, and they immediately think he can play center. They don't take into account that the guy has no skills on the basketball court.

KB, I ordinarily think you come at this issue or that one with a balanced approach.

On this one, you appear to suggest that countless Bynum observers are just failing to see what you see, supposedly something beyond the surface.

What's more your use of the phrase "no skills" suggests something less than a balanced view.

I can't agree on either point. There's as much reason to believe that 19 year-old Bynum will blossom as there is reason to believe that 20 year-old MWill will blossom. Scouts obviously can be wrong--there's just too many variables to reduce the real game to one of computer calculations and fantasy.

But when there's a consensus among scouts who get paid to do what they do... it ought to give some of us who don't get paid some pause for thought... at least that.