• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For whatever it's worth . . .

By Adreian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

June 25, 2007

THREE'S TOO MUCH FOR CONLEY

In a lot of ways, the NBA draft doesn't start until the Atlanta Hawks make their choice at No. 3. Whatever the public pressure to take a point guard, rest assured this: They won't be drafting Mike Conley Jr. that high.

After watching him toss brick after brick in Monday's workout with Al Horford and Noah, Atlanta officials had no reason to re-visit a decision they made weeks ago. It isn't that they're not intrigued with Conley, but forget making him the third overall selection. In fact, the Hawks are hoping that if Conley slips past Memphis at No. 4 and Minnesota at No. 7, he will drop down to them at No. 11.

If Conley doesn't make it that far, several league sources said Billy Knight's infatuation with Luke Ridnour will result with the 11th pick being traded to Seattle for the Sonics point guard.

"A lot of the staff there likes Acie Law," one rival executive said, "but Billy has never been sold."

For now, Horford, the 6-foot-10 forward, is expected to be Atlanta's choice at No. 3, but the Hawks will be entertaining trade offers through Thursday's draft. One trade possibility that was discussed but never came together, two league sources said, was Golden State's suggestion that point guard Monta Ellis could be available in a package for the third overall choice.

The Warriors are believed to be intrigued with drafting Yi and are still running scenarios past lottery teams with the hopes of moving up from No. 19.

• Javaris Crittenton, the freshman out of Georgia Tech, has impressed with his athleticism and long point guard frame at 6-5, but said one Western Conference G.M.: "Like a lot of young point guards, he dribbles way too much never really going anywhere." Still, Crittenton could go as high as No. 14 to the Los Angeles Clippers, who need to start thinking past the shredded knee of Shaun Livingston.

Monta isn't the true point guard the team is supposedly looking for, but I'd be interested in seeing what the package Golden State has put together in an attempt to get Yi.

I do know that Billy Knight almost drafted Monta instead of Salim Stoudamire two years ago. Monta would certainly give the Hawks an explosive scorer at the point guard position. I think if given a full time point guard job, Monta would be very similar to Gilbert Arenas.

If Golden State was willing to include Andris Biedrins, I'd be all over the deal like white on rice. I'd be tempted to do it for Monta and the 18th pick, simply because I think when Monta gets out of the shadow of Baron Davis, he's going to explode into being a star.

I'm not crazy about the Luke Ridnour talk. He plays no defense. I'd much rather trade the 11th pick for Jarrett Jack.

If we trade the 11th pick for Jack I will be okay, but not happy, with it. If we trade it for Ridnour I will be pissed. I believe that Law will be better than both of them by a large margin.

Where did this fascination with Ridnour come from? I don't remember ever hearing anything like that before.

Monta would be a nice player to acquire, but the #3 is FAR more valuable than him and unfortunately I think they overvalue the combo of he and Biedrins too much to be including him in that deal.

Give me Horford and Conley/Law. Almost anything else at this point will be disappointing to me.

One thing that you guys need to keep in mind (and i am not just talking about this instance) is that we know more about the Hawks than most media outlets do.

I wouldn't take anything seriously that comes from talk radio or in this case Yahoo Sports. How could they possibly know as much as we do about the Hawks?

Woody came out and said not long ago that they want a pg who will be a consistent defensive presence. That doesn't sound like Ridnour to me.

• Premium Member

Warriors offered #19 and Monta Ellis, we wanted AB and Ellis for #3 and they refused. We countered with AB and #19 and they would not do it. They refuse to trade Biedrins and he is the one player that Knight really wants off that roster.

Ridnour for 11 is a disaster of huge magnitude. He is frail and he plays zero defense.

Jack would be better because he plays defense. If Ridnour is traded to us for 11 it proves BK is an imbecile.

I think Exodus is right. They have described what they like in a PG and Ridnour does not fit that bill.

Last I checked Noah wasn’t at the workout yesterday, and Horford and Conley worked out at different times. This article is just speculation at best, it obvious the writer wasn’t there, also the media isn’t allowed in the workouts from what I remember.

• Premium Member

Sometimes, the truth really does hurt.

Like it or not, the Hawks is not going to draft Conley at 3, and when he falls to 11, I don't think we take him then unless the article is correct and we have a deal for Luke on the line??

If we like Luke, why not Law?

Quote:

That's way too much.

Biedrins is a good prospect but with 3, we should get more than a good prospect.

isn't that all we get if we draft horford/yi? a good prospect?

if biedrins is close to as good of a prospect, but also has the plus of def being able to play center full-time, then he's worth the #3 to us

• Premium Member

They won't trade Biedrins. Every thing he can do for us that we desperately need he already does for them. He's the only legit big man they have and he's fast enough to play in their breakneck speed offense and still go up against big men in the low post.

Quote:

By
Adreian
Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

June 25, 2007

THREE'S TOO MUCH FOR CONLEY

In a lot of ways, the NBA draft doesn't start until the Atlanta Hawks make their choice at No. 3. Whatever the public pressure to take a point guard, rest assured this: They won't be drafting Mike Conley Jr. that high.

After watching him toss brick after brick
in Monday's workout with Al Horford and Noah, Atlanta officials had no reason to re-visit a decision they made weeks ago. It isn't that they're not intrigued with Conley, but forget making him the third overall selection. In fact, the Hawks are hoping that if Conley slips past Memphis at No. 4 and Minnesota at No. 7, he will drop down to them at No. 11.

If Conley doesn't make it that far, several league sources said Billy Knight's infatuation with Luke Ridnour will result with the 11th pick being traded to Seattle for the Sonics point guard.

you read that "conley heads", BRICKS!

• Premium Member

Quote:

They won't trade Biedrins. Every thing he can do for us that we desperately need he already does for them. He's the only legit big man they have and he's fast enough to play in their breakneck speed offense and still go up against big men in the low post.

Ding, ding, ding. I told RealGM fans recently that the Warriors would never do Ellis+Beans for #3. They were saying that the Warriors should throw even MORE in the deal.