• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Another trade rumor

BHayley

• Premium Member

Try this...

Put Smoove on the same pacers team. Are they in the playoffs? Are they better than they were? Are they worse than they were.

I don't think you can put absolutes on any player And I realize how much Smoove does for this team. However, when it comes to the polish... Oneal is already polished. His injuries scare me, but he's polished. Smoove is in the polishing parlor, but he may or may not turn out. You have to go beyond numbers into skillset. Jsmoove doesn't compare to Oneal offensively and the only thing that puts Jsmoove into Oneal's yard defensively is his shot blocking ability. Positionally, JSmoove is weak defensively whereas Oneal is strong...

Am I saying that Smoove can't learn? NO.

I'm asking do we wait on Smoove's learning curve to reach where ONeal is already living? Do we pass up on a guy who can step in and guarantee us of being in the ECF? If JO was 100% healthy for the past 2 years, we'd do this deal in a heartbeat (I hope)... so I have my apprehensions about health.. But I have no doubts about JO's skillset being miles and miles ahead of Smoove's.

Thats worse than Diesels trades. Why would we move the face of our franchise who by the way is only 21?? Yes JJ is our star player but Smoove is the high flying,shot blocking, hometown player and who is becoming a star in the league.

IMO, Indiana would do JO for Smoove straight up. I wouldn't.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Jsmoove doesn't compare to Oneal offensively

JO is quite possibly the least efficient offensive superstar post player in the history of the NBA, no thanks. You'd rather pay JO $20 million than Josh 2 million for 4 points and 2 more rebounds on the exact same efficiency? While also giving up the #11 and taking a risk on JO's injury history? That's insane. And that's assuming Josh doesn't improve next season, I'll take Smith's 06-07 production at 2 million over JO's 06-07 production at 20 million. Smith could easily improve next season making the gap even smaller.

JO has never shot 50% in his career. Find the last great big man (20 and 10) that was that inefficient.

JO is better defensively, but it's not worth giving up Josh and the #11 and taking a risk on JO's injuries to pay him 20 million.

• Premium Member

JO has the problem that he likes to settle for mid range jump shots instead of taking the abuse in the low post. I don't know if he is leery of contact due to his injury history but if you watch him over the years his low post scores have went down and his jump shot scores have went up. Sadly, he's not Dirk so he doesn't have the consistent shot to make that work.

• Premium Member

What you don't understand is how offensive inept we actually have been. Let me paint this picture.

If Harrington scored 18/8 here.

IF Smoove scored 18/8 here in the same role.

What do you think Oneal would have done in the same role. Oneal would have been a 26/12 player playing for us the last 2 seasons.

Don't confuse lacking any other good options with being a good offensive player. Because 18/8 left and became what? 13/6??

In other words, I think Josh Smith has collected good numbers based on the fact that we are horrible offensively. However, when you look at skillset and ability, Oneal is a reliable 20 ppg Post scorer on a good team. On our team, he would be much much more.

Like most on the board, I love Smoove and I would PREFER to build with him and JJ. That said, this trade would make us an INSTANT playoff team and maybe a contender for the EC title in 2 years.

JO/Zaza

Horford/Shelden

Marvin/Chillz

JJ/Salim

AJ/Lue

That is a deep team with a nice mix of vets and youth and everybody lines up at their natural position. The bench would be filled with ideal role players at every position. That team would be very good both offensively and defensively. We would be more like the Pistons or Spurs than the Suns but that would be fine with me.

I don't love the situation at PG and I would consider trading Zaza, Shelden or Chillz for an upgrade there but we are so strong elsewhere, I think an AJ/Lue combo might be adequate. You could also draft Conley at #3 in lieu of Horford and start Shelden at PF.

• Premium Member

Quote:

What you don't understand is how offensive inept we actually have been.

Actually I do, which is why I don't want a 43% shooting post player. Gasol and KG have no problem shooting over 50% without any other offensive help. Even Zach Randolph is a more efficient offensive player. JO is the least efficient offensive 20 and 10 player in the NBA, possibly in the HISTORY of the NBA.

Quote:

What do you think Oneal would have done in the same role. Oneal would have been a 26/12 player playing for us the last 2 seasons.

Do you not understand the concept of FG%? Who cares if he puts up 26/12 if it doesn't help the team, he won't shoot above 45%, that's HORRIBLE for a post player making 20 million dollars, and shooting 45% in the post doesn't help our offense. And that's not even taking into account his injury risk, it's absolute INSANITY to take a chance like that.