• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ford Insider: Hawks in Great Position to Deal

jaywalker72

Huge Insider Blog today found at:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...ht&lid=tab1pos2

Here is a portion:

The Hawks brought in Al Horford and Mike Conley on Monday. From what I can gather, they are still leaning strongly toward Horford at No. 3.

There is still a lot of talk about the Hawks trading No. 11 if Conley isn't on the board. While we've heard Jarrett Jack in the past, it appears the Hawks have their eye on Seattle's Luke Ridnour.

In my mind, the guard they should go after is Jose Calderon. The Raptors want into the draft badly and Calderon would be a great fit in Atlanta -- and they could absorb his entire salary because they are under the cap.

But, again, we have to take all Hawks trade talk with a grain of salt. Billy Knight is notoriously slow on pulling the trigger in deals.

"He spends more time thinking and re-thinking about deals than any GM in the league -- to say he's deliberative is putting it kindly," one NBA agent said.

The Hawks are also tied in a legal battle for ownership which means that any major spending has to be approved by all parties -- a difficult task to say the least.

But some sources say the Hawks can make a deal, despite the complications. That's why you're hearing talk of a Hawks mega-swap for Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Marion or Randolph. The Hawks could package Zaza Pachulia, Lue, Lorenzen Wright, the No. 3 pick and, depending on who they get back, one of their young prospects like Josh Childress or Marvin Williams to make a deal work financially.

Seems like the smart thing to do in Atlanta. Put Joe Johnson on the floor with Josh Smith, a guy like KG or O'Neal and then get a point guard at No. 11 like Calderon or Ridnour and the Hawks could be immediate contenders in the East.

It would be a nice story if it happens. But right now that's a big if.

Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I am cold on Garnett and JO due to their contracts, age, and what we have to give up to get them under the cap. Remember due to legal problems the team can't go over the cap, thus any trade for one of these guys would leave us with no wiggle room under the restrictions to get players to fill out the roster.

11 for Calderon is good, but I think we must insist on sending one of Lue/AG/Speedy/Lo along with it to retain our cap flexibility.

For me, I am actually fine with picking up two more players in the draft and then trading one of the current forwards (Childress/Marvin/Sheldon) for vet help.

I love Calderon but he is gone after this year. He is a great shooter and distributor, a guy that could really run our offense. His D is porous.

1. Jack

2. Calderon

3. Just Say HELLO NO to Ridnour

What is he thinking? The rumors were strong last year that the Sonics wanted our Indy pick and we wouldn't part with it. Now that the pick has higher value BK is interested?

I'm done with the Hawks as a serious fan if he blows 11 on Luke.

I'm down with Calderon. I'm actually ok with Ridnour but they would have to give us something besides him for the 11 pick....But Calderon would be better. Seems like at times he had the flow of Toronto going more.

I'd like to extend his contract though early on. Don't want to lose him. Then again, I think he'd work with us if he knows he has the keys to a playoff machine here.

• Premium Member

Two things:

1. Calderon's D is mediocre, but not a terrible problem. There are far worse options out there (e.g., Ridnour).

2. Because of the Gilbert Arenas rule, the team holding Jose's rights can match any deal when he's a free agent. I would mostly be worried that he's going to want to jump to wherever Gasol is.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Two things:

1. Calderon's D is mediocre, but not a terrible problem. There are far worse options out there (e.g., Ridnour).

2. Because of the Gilbert Arenas rule, the team holding Jose's rights can match any deal when he's a free agent. I would mostly be worried that he's going to want to jump to wherever Gasol is.

What if we traded the #3 for Gasol and #11 for Calderon?