• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ford Insider: Hawks in Great Position to Deal

jaywalker72

• Premium Member

Thanks, Sothron. (Would you be more open to repeating some of this if we had a "private" board?).

I know that Raptors' fans have some concerns that next year Calderon will ask to be allowed to sign wherever Gasol ends up because of the Spanish connections.

My main concern is that Marvin or Josh would be traded to accomodate Gasol's entrance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Thanks, Sothron. (Would you be more open to repeating some of this if we had a "private" board?).

I know that Raptors' fans have some concerns that next year Calderon will ask to be allowed to sign wherever Gasol ends up because of the Spanish connections.

My main concern is that Marvin or Josh would be traded to accomodate Gasol's entrance.

Yes to the question about about the private board. And I'm going to have to limit my comments on the Gasol/Calderon to what I've said, no offense. There are some very particular trades we have offered or been offered and I as a fan don't want to put it out here and have another team see it and do something to jeopardize it.

• Premium Member

I'd much rather take Law/Crittenton rather than trade the #11 for Calderon. We will then owe Calderon and Smith a contract next year, on top of 2 max salaries in JJ and Gasol. The Spirit isn't going to toss around that type of money.

• Premium Member

Calderon's not the defensive liability you make him out to be, KB. And Gasol scores far more points that he gives up on most nights.

You'd put better defenders around them, and you could be quite successful in the Leastern Conference.

• Premium Member

Soth, feel no need to give any more info.

I tell you what got my attention about Calderon - Colangelo did an interview on Toronto radio saying that "12 teams were interested, he's not being shopped, etc." It's the same things he said about Villanueva.

He's definitely on the block.

• Moderators

This is very fascinating stuff. Thanks for the updates! I don't know enough about Calderon to really comment either way as to whether he is worth it but I sure like the idea of Gasol.

Alright, I'm running with the idea of this. Let me know what ya'll think about this if it were to happen. I'm doing it from a 3-team perspective......

Atlanta outgoing: #3, #11, Josh Childress, Tyronne Lue, ZaZa Pachulia

incoming: Pau Gasol and Jose Calderon

Toronto outgoing: Jose Calderon

incoming: #11

Memphis outgoing: Pau Gasol

incoming: #3, Josh Childress, Tyronne Lue, and ZaZa Pachulia

Calderon/Claxton/A. Johnson

J. Johnson/Stoudamire

M. Williams

Smith/S. Williams

Gasol/Wright/Jones

We'd still have a few expiring contracts (A. Johnson, Stoudamire, Wright, and Smith) at the end of this season although I'm sure Smith is in the team's long-term plans.

Ford/Dixon

Parker/Delfino

Graham/Jackson

Bosch/Bargnani/Humphries

Nesterovich/Garbajosa

They'd have the #11 pick to take another SG or SF. Probably someone like Nick Young, Fernandez, or Stuckey would work well for them or a combo forward like Al Thornton to give them instant offense. Julian Wright would also be a solid pick for them here. They could go a few different directions.

Stoudamire/Lue/Lowry

Miller/Childress/Kinsey

Warrick/Gay

Horford/Cardinal/Johnson

Pachulia/Swift

I don't think there's any question they'd take Horford with one of those 3-4 picks. Of course, they could take Noah with the other one to give them more depth at PF/C. They'd be a smaller team, but could run. They could also take Mike Conley Jr. (more likely)with the other pick or use it in a possible trade. A package of Miller and the #4 pick should be very valuable to someone although Miller was their 2nd leading scorer last year so they'd have alot of offense to make up by losing Gasol and Miller. Of course, they could blow everyone away and take Horford and Yi and put a lineup of:

Stoudamire

Miller

Warrick

Yi

Horford

out there. That's actually a BK type of team outside the small PG. lol.

What do ya'll think of each of those teams? I think, but evaluating it this way, it puts the potential trade candidates and why they'd do it in perspective.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This is very fascinating stuff. Thanks for the updates! I don't know enough about Calderon to really comment either way as to whether he is worth it but I sure like the idea of Gasol.

He's a true pass-first PG who knows how to run an offense and take care of the ball. He averaged 13/9 in 11 games as a starter for Toronto last year, and 13/5 (33 mpg) in Toronto's six playoff games (24 mpg). He doesn't turn 26 until September, and he has plenty of playoff experience in Europe.

The only "weaknesses" in his game prior to last season were his defense (mediocre, not particularly athletic) and his perimeter shooting. Raptors' fans claim he made steady progress in both areas. He shot 40% from 3 after the All-Star break.

Basically, he's more experienced and a better PG than Jarrett Jack, but not as athletic or tough.

This has been my top scenario for weeks (Gasol + Calderon). I was kicking around trade proposals to this end a couple of weeks ago. I think if Speedy and Lo can be involved, we can make this work from a money standpoint.

Gasol > Horford

Calderon ~= Law

Don't want to lose Childress, but the return is worth it.

Gasol + Calderon = greater than sum of their parts. Two happy countrymen dropped into a very promising situation.

Hawks, make this happen!!!! I can hardly believe that it's really > 50% probability.

I was poking around the Toronto RealGM board, and from some interview with Brian Colangelo, it sounds like Toronto is definitely going to want more than the #11 for Calderon.

I didn't read all their thread, so I apologize if I missed anything important.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php...r=asc&start=132

Quote:

Using my media training, I'll distill this down to the bottom line

1. Draft pick. If one or two guys are around in the mid to late 20s, we might buy a pick.

2. Jose. We can trade him for an upgrade to the current lineup, but the deal will have to look really, really good for us. No chance we're trading him just to get into the draft.

3. Could use a full MLE on one player - certainly seem to have budget room to spend the full MLE. Several players would help us.

4. Ukic. Forget him.

5. Papaloukas. Forget him.

6. Garbajosa jogging on a treadmill already - will be ready for next season.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think it's Childress/#11 -for- Calderon/Graham.

That makes sense for both teams IMO.

Eww, no it doesn't. Just leave Childress and Graham out of it, Graham is absolute GARBAGE.

Quote:

Quote:

I think it's Childress/#11 -for- Calderon/Graham.

That makes sense for both teams IMO.

Eww, no it doesn't. Just leave Childress and Graham out of it, Graham is absolute GARBAGE.

Hmm, maybe a Lue or AJ throw in would convince them instead? #11 and Lue/AJ for Calderon? They could get a quality player at #11, plus a veteran like Lue or AJ could be good on a team that is pretty young like theirs.

• Premium Member

1st, Graham would be the backup SF. Who cares?

2nd, 6/3 in limited minutes isn't THAT bad.

Regardless, Toronto has to add more salary for it to work. What else do you think is being discussed? I'd rather take a chance on Graham for two years than one year of the Almighty Juan Dixon.

Salim/Childress -for - Calderon/Graham works under the cap, but it's not enough for Toronto IMO. Perhaps substituting Solomon Jones for Salim?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Hmm, maybe a Lue or AJ throw in would convince them instead? #11 and Lue/AJ for Calderon? They could get a quality player at #11, plus a veteran like Lue or AJ could be good on a team that is pretty young like theirs.

#11/AJ -for- Calderon makes sense. Good idea.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The 11th pick for Calderon is PLENTY. He is a backup PG in the last year of his contract. Colangelo will not top that offer so he better wise up.

Chill is needed for Gasol.

iagree.gif