• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jerseys #'s for Horford and Law

WraithSentinel

By the all-star break I predict that a lot of people are going to feel stupid for arguing against the Horford pick.

We got the consensus 3rd-best player in the draft, and he's 6'10, athletic, quick, skilled, strong, intelligent, he plays hard all the time, and he's a winner.

I just can't see what's wrong with that. The only thing about it that's a slight disappointment is we didn't get Amare. But Horford is probably the next best thing.

I dont understand where AL Horford is going to play. He is not a center what do we do with the botched pick of last year of Shelden Williams who is pretty much the same as Horford. Lets see we have count 5-6 Forwards 4 of them being lottery picks to play 2 positions someone please explain to me how any of them can turn into big time players with no minutes. If you told me we didnt have Marvin Williams or Shelden Williams and Horford would start or be 1sr forward off the bench I would not care but is not the case at all. Im just not sold on either of these picks we drafted a 6'9 forward player to play center (read Shelde) and we get a shoot 1st point guard, who lacks good defense and is not a good playmaker something that the hawks really needed. Im trying to get to like these picks but theres no way I can its too much of the same [censored].

Horford will play at center. I think that's the plan - and I think it will work. I just don't understand why people absolutely insist on pigeon-holing him just because he's 6'10 rather than 6'11.

He's not a huge center obviously, and he could play power forward equally well, but his combination of size, strength, athleticism, quickness, hustle, intelligence, and skill will make him one of the better frontcourt player in the Eastern Conference in fairly short order. That's what I think at least.

I honestly believe that Josh Smith and Al Horford will be a deadly combination together. Those two playing together will ensure that big slow centers won't have anyone they can guard, because both guys are so quick and athletic. And, on the other end, both guys are pretty strong for their sizes and extremely quick and athletic. And Josh Smith is a spectacular shotblocker and solid rebounder, while Horford is a great rebounder and hustle guy and a solid shotblocker.

These guys will work together well - and if they don't, you keep the best one and trade the other guy, because both of them will have a ton of value in a trade in the next year or two if that's the way you want to go. But I think they will work well together. And Horford will give us the post-scoring we miss so desparately. All we need now is a veteran PG to lead this team.

Quote:

Horford will play at center. I think that's the plan - and I think it will work. I just don't understand why people absolutely insist on pigeon-holing him just because he's 6'10 rather than 6'11.

He's not a huge center obviously, and he could play power forward equally well, but his combination of size, strength, athleticism, quickness, hustle, intelligence, and skill will make him one of the better frontcourt player in the Eastern Conference in fairly short order. That's what I think at least.

I honestly believe that Josh Smith and Al Horford will be a deadly combination together. Those two playing together will ensure that big slow centers won't have anyone they can guard, because both guys are so quick and athletic. And, on the other end, both guys are pretty strong for their sizes and extremely quick and athletic. And Josh Smith is a spectacular shotblocker and solid rebounder, while Horford is a great rebounder and hustle guy and a solid shotblocker.

These guys will work together well - and if they don't, you keep the best one and trade the other guy, because both of them will have a ton of value in a trade in the next year or two if that's the way you want to go. But I think they will work well together. And Horford will give us the post-scoring we miss so desparately. All we need now is a veteran PG to lead this team.

Look at it this way. Is he a better center prospect than Okafor? Of course not. That is why the Bobcats try their best not to play him there.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Look at it this way. Is he a better center prospect than Okafor? Of course not. That is why the Bobcats try their best not to play him there.

I guess that would explain why Okafor plays 80% of his minutes at center? You are too easy.

I think Horford would be better off as a PF. But this is the new NBA and most centers aren't really centers. Okafor plays 80% of his time at center, but Charlotte would be better off if he didn't have to. Horford will probably end up playing center and he may do very well. Then again, he may not.

But the fact remains that Yi is not a center either. And you can say all you want about "training strength" and "you can't teach" height, but that is a load of crap. It's not how big or tall you are, it's how big or tall you play. That is why Dirk and KG aren't centers and Manute Bol/Shawn Bradley/Gheorghe Muresan all sucked. Yet somehow players like Ben Wallace can pull it off. Yi may become a great player, but it will be in the footsteps of KG, not as a center.