• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Law's assist numbers inflated?

txsting

One of the reasons I felt okay about Law was due to his ability to put up huge assist numbers on occasion (like 15 against Texas). I usually feel that this is an indication of potential.

However, I came across this, take it how you will:

Quote:

Acie Law IV didn't set any school records in the Aggies' double-overtime loss to Texas, but he scored 33 points and also hit a three-pointer to send the game into the first extra session.

The last time that the Texas A&M senior guard played against Texas, he went for a school-record 15 assists.

Or did he?

After a thorough review of the tape from the Aggies 100-82 victory over Texas on Feb. 5, there’s no way that Law really tied the school record. In fact, we had him for 11 assists.

The stat guy in College Station had an off-night – and not just for the Aggies. He was being overly generous for both teams.

How else to explain the fact that Texas actually took eight assists away from its players after reviewing the film.

``After normal film review, to maintain the integrity in the statistics, we felt it was in the best interest to remove eight of our assists from the game,” Texas sports information director Scott McConnell said.

``Assists are really a subjective statistic,” countered Texas A&M sports information director Collin Killian.

Here’s the definition of an assist (if you care). A player is credited with an assist when the player makes, in the judgment of the statistician, the principal pass contributing directly to a field goal. Only one assist is to be credited on any field goal and only when the pass was a major part of the play. … An assist should be more than a routine pass that just happens to be followed by a field goal.

There’s no logical explanation for how Aggies guard Acie Law IV picked up one assist late in the game.

It went like this: Law threw a lazy pass to Antanas Kavaliauskas at the top of the key. Kavaliauskas tossed it to the right side to Josh Carter, who drove to the basket for a hoop and a foul.

The Aggies stat crew credited Law with the assist.

Are you kidding me?

I wasn’t aware that Texas A&M had a hockey program.

We looked back at two other home games in College Station and found no improprieties in terms of handing out freebies when it comes to assists, but we truly didn’t have the time to double-check every home game. All we know is that the Aggies were credited with 24 assists on 25 field goals against Winthrop earlier in the season. It was 22 of 25 against Iowa State.

``Wow,” said one Division 1 head coach.

In games at College Station, the Aggies are assisting on astonishing 79 percent of their baskets. That’s beyond efficient. That’s ridiculous.

``That’s unfathomable,” one D-1 head coach said.

On the road, it’s a more realistic 43 percent.

Law is a heck of a player, but let’s not put him in the class of Kevin Durant for Big 12 Player of the Year. His assist numbers are inflated. The question is how inflated?

• Premium Member

Simple comparison: someone calculate his assists on the road.

EDIT: Already done... in 12 road games this season, he had a total of 47 assists... for just under 4 per game.

Quote:

Simple comparison: someone calculate his assists on the road.

EDIT: Already done... in 12 road games this season, he had a total of 47 assists... for just under 4 per game.

So in other words, we drafted a shooting guard who pretends to be a PG? Those are some horrible stats. And we passed over Crit for this?

I'm getting 5.7 as his home assist average.

I'm not saying he can't dish the rock or be a good player, I honestly haven't seem him enough. But I am saying this is not the first thing I wanted to read when trying to investigate what type of player we got.

I don't have much doubt that Law will be able to score, and this alone should help JJ out. He was the best shooter available.

I think the Lakers got a steal in Crit at #19. I still think he's the better player after 1 year.

A&M has some of the worst basketball talent in the state. Hell Rice usually gets better basketball players than A&M does. UT certainly gets far better basketball players.

Law is anything but a traditional PG and while a lot of us (myself included) would prefer a traditional type of PG keep in mind that this will be the first time ever that Law has had real talent around him. He is here to provide some size in the backcourt and to relieve JJ of his ball handling duties, not to mention to provide a desperately needed shooter on the outside to balance JJ.

Does anyone else see the similarities between Law and JT? JT was a big time clutch shooter who thrived on having a hand in his face and taking shots late in the game and Law is very similar. Law is a little bigger than him and paired with JJ should make for quite a fun pairing. I know that BK compared Law to Mark Jackson (better scoring, lesser passing) but I don't see it nearly as much. I see a lot of JT and Sam Cassell in him. I LOVE his fire! I think we are going to be screaming his name a lot in the coming years as he wins games for us late with his clutch scoring. JJ is already great at that. The two of them together? Damn!

Anything is an upgade over what we put on the court. I'm glad that he's here and will root for him. However I think JC was sold short in this draft. He was better than Mike Conley thoughout high school and 1 year of college made him better? No PG will ever put up great stats in Paul Hewitt's system, not until he changes it. JC did have turnovers, but he didn't have the benefit of consistent bigman play. Hos turnover came from forcing things...when he had to take over.

Law, while I hope will be a JT....just doesn't provided that awe to me. He had one great senior year. JC had almost an equivalent FR season. Law may not have had the best talent around him....but any big man in college can make a layup--that's if someone is driving and dishing. We already have T-Lue to jack up shitty shots. Now if Lue is on the move....this makes a lil more sense. On the surface, it appears we keep producing identical twins instead having a single child.

Jason Terry is the comparison I've been using all along. I don't see Chauncey Billups in Law.

Back when we had JT and were trying to find that ideal guard to go with him, I really wanted a trade to net Joe Johnson. I guess we'll see where this goes...

We need Acie to be a better defender and not turn the ball over at the alarming rate that JT did. I think he can do those things.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think JC was sold short in this draft. He was better than Mike Conley thoughout high school and 1 year of college made him better?

I assume you think Brandan Wright is better than Kevin Durant since Wright was ranked ahead of Durant in high school?

High school rankings don't even matter once you get to see them against better competition (college) because there are HUNDREDS of players in high school that score 30 ppg. It's tough to accurately rank every high school prospect against inferior competition because they all dominate.

• Moderators

Quote:

Jason Terry is the comparison I've been using all along. I don't see Chauncey Billups in Law.

I still like the Sam Cassell comparison - especially for the mid-range game and clutch shooting.

No...quit assuming. Durant and Wright don't even play the same position, thats apples and oranges. JC and Conley do however. And they faced each other numerous upon numerous times. And JC was the better prospect. And their college stats are not that much different, despite Conley playing on a much better team. You don't think OSU would have been in the title game with JC? Not to bring up high school but...JC won a championship with D Howard in high school. But you know what, he took his time right back there without any help from a dominant big man. Conley however, has rode the shoulders of Oden, since high school to a #4 pick. Congrats to him.

• Premium Member

First of all, I'm a huge Crittenton fan and think he will be a great PG. My only point is that high school rankings aren't very relevant when you've seen them a full year in college. It's very possible Critt turns out better, but Conley had a more impressive freshman season.

Quote:

First of all, I'm a huge Crittenton fan and think he will be a great PG. My only point is that high school rankings aren't very relevant when you've seen them a full year in college. It's very possible Critt turns out better, but Conley had a more impressive freshman season.

Ok Atlas...I'm a fan of your postings, so there's no need to argue over semantics. And we both like Crit....so there. We should be analyzing Law anyway... tongue.gif

Quote:

No...quit assuming. Durant and Wright don't even play the same position, thats apples and oranges. JC and Conley do however. And they faced each other numerous upon numerous times. And JC was the better prospect. And their college stats are not that much different, despite Conley playing on a much better team. You don't think OSU would have been in the title game with JC? Not to bring up high school but...JC won a championship with D Howard in high school. But you know what, he took his time right back there without any help from a dominant big man. Conley however, has rode the shoulders of Oden, since high school to a #4 pick. Congrats to him.

Aren't Durant and Wright both skinny power forwards? How else is Seattle's trade for Jeff Green explainable?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I still like the Sam Cassell comparison - especially for the mid-range game and clutch shooting.

Same here. I also defy anyone to name a player on Texas A&M this past season without using a search engine.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Same here. I also defy anyone to name a player on Texas A&M this past season without using a search engine.

I've asked that as well and still no responses. Another thing similar b/t Law and Cassell is that Law seems to be a great leader like Cassell. I don't know if he'll be THAT vocal, but he'll certainly help.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I could probably name their starting five (of course, I did go to about a half dozen of their games...)