• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

NBA Centers: A Statistical Look

TheNorthCydeRises

Quote:

That was a lot of work for....actually i am not sure what it was for.

It boils down to one simple question. Is our goal to win a title? If the answer is no then by all means Horford is fine at center.

But if the answer is yes then we will have to get a center who can effectively defend the top centers in the league. There is no way around it.

San Antonion just won with Oberto as their center.

Quote:

Quote:

It boils down to one simple question. Is our goal to win a title? If the answer is no then by all means Horford is fine at center.

But if the answer is yes then we will have to get a center who can effectively defend the top centers in the league. There is no way around it.

Who was that guy on the front line playing next to him? I can't remember.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who was that guy on the front line playing next to him? I can't remember.

Then get rid of Josh Smith, he one of the reason why this is quite high, Zaza defends Tim Duncan of the world while Josh gets owned by Nazr and Oberto. Once again, with the moves the Hawks made in the draft means it's time for Josh to be traded.

Quote:

Quote:

Hawks made in the draft means it's time for Josh to be traded.

Maybe we should trade him for a 200 pound powerless forward who can't shoot a lick from outside 10 feet or from the foul line. That's the ticket.

When I'm uppin that thread this time next year, you'll be acting real nice.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hawks made in the draft means it's time for Josh to be traded.

Maybe we should trade him for a 200 pound powerless forward who can't shoot a lick from outside 10 feet or from the foul line. That's the ticket.

When I'm uppin that thread this time next year, you'll be acting real nice.

LOL not much chance of that although he did land on the best team for him.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Here are his combine numbers:

6'8.75" 6'9.75" 246 7'0.75" 8'11"

LOL . . that's what I said. He's 6-9 3/4.

Come on van . . this isn't some 3rd world basketball league in which people play without shoes on. We play with shoes on.

So if he's 6'9.75 . . that rounds up to being 6'10.

That's not hard to understand.

That is right. The reason it is 6'10'' is because everyone else is listed by their height in shoes (or even puffed up beyond that). It would be meaningless to compare height without shoes on since there aren't good records for most players in the NBA of what that height is.

Quote:

I know we've already argued about this, but I'll just say one more thing about Horford and the goal of winning a title: He just won a title. And who was the opposing center? Greg Oden, the guy who is supposedly going to be the best center in the NBA for the next 10 years.

So I don't really buy the argument that we can't win a title with Horford because we wouldn't be able to defend opposing centers. Yeah, I know Oden had a big game - but Ohio State got blown out both times they played Florida.

I think our frontcourt is now very comparable to Amare Stoudamre and Sean Marion in Phoenix - except Horford probably won't be quite as good as Amare, but Josh Smith will probably be more effective as a legit PF than Marion. True, we're still lacking a PG like the Suns have, but we have far more talent at SG and SF than the Suns have if you count Marion as a PF - and there's still time to come up with a competent PG.

Also, like a couple other people have said, it's good to remember that everyone's height in the NBA is always listed WITH shoes. So you can't compare a new prospect's height without shoes to everyone else's height with shoes. I used to get confused about this when I first started following the NBA draft process, but that's the convention in the NBA.

Quote:

No.

Amare is
neither taller nor has a longer reach
. Amare measured out at 6'10" in shoes and 233 lbs when he came out. His wing span was 7'1", and his standing reach was 9'0.5".

And here i thought 9'.5" was higher than 8'11". I guess i have been wrong the whole time. Thank you for clearing that up.

Quote:

it's good to remember that everyone's height in the NBA is always listed WITH shoes.

Not true. Some players are listed at their heights w/o shoes. JJ is actually 6'.75" w/o shoes and is listed at 6'7". Iggy measured the exact same height as Childress w/o shoes at the combine but is listed 2" shorter.

combine 2004

Quote:

Quote:

And here i thought 9'.5" was higher than 8'11". I guess i have been wrong the whole time. Thank you for clearing that up.

You're arguing this vociferously about 1.5"?! If measurables were all that mattered Kevin Durant goes undrafted last night.

No i am saying that 1.5" is higher, plain and simple. Just like a guy 6'5" is taller than a guy 6'3.5". it isn't even debatalbe.

KB likes to throw out nonsense and pretend that everything he says is fact. He has a long history of it.

Guest Walter

Quote:

If measurables were all that mattered Kevin Durant goes undrafted last night.

and the team drafting you intends to play you up and out of position, you better have the world's best measurements. Not much hope otherwise.

Last I saw Durant DOUBLED Horford's scoring production last year, quintupled it if you compare them as freshmen.

W