• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Horford's upside.

Diesel

Quote:

I just wanted to see how many people are honest here. Even Nick is conflicted by the ease of the question. I didn't want a song and dance about how good he's going to be, just point blank, will he be all-star material playing for us. Now, if I really wanted to be mean, I would have reminded the Liars that we will be playing in the East unless something changes and in the East you have:

Howard, Bosh, Okafor, Wallace, Wallace, Oneal, Randolph, Smoove, Bargnani, Yi, Bogut, Diogu, Curry, Shaq, and others... playing PF or C in the East...

BUt the intent was to see how many honest people would come out and tell the truth!

If you say EVER that means you mean in his career

So eliminate Wallace, Wallace, and Shaq because they will be long gone when Horford should be in his prime.

And he won't even need to be in his prime to be better than Diogu and Bogut. He's better than them RIGHT NOW.

IMO he will put on more srength and weight and in a couple of years with a better post game on top of that he will surpass Okafor, Bargnani, and will emerge as the Chris Bosh of this draft.

As far as the other PF prospects you mentioned, how does the All-Star voting work?

Do they select 3 centers or is just a combination of Centers and Power Forwards?

• Moderators

Quote:

will he be all-star material playing for us.

If you want to be honest on this question remember what you asked. You didn't ask if he would be All-Star material playing for us. You asked if he would ever make the All-Star team. Dr. Z expressly answered "yes" to that question and offered on his own that he didn't think Horford would be an All-Star in Atlanta.

Look again at the list of All-Stars in the East I put above. How does someone become a liar by predicting Al Horford will join that list? Would someone have been a liar if they answered "yes" when asked the same question about Jamaal Magloire before he played his first game in the NBA?

I don't like the whole "honest" line you are pulling on this thread. There is room for honest disagreement on this question.

Quote:

I just wanted to see how many people are honest here. Even Nick is conflicted by the ease of the question. I didn't want a song and dance about how good he's going to be, just point blank, will he be all-star material playing for us. Now, if I really wanted to be mean, I would have reminded the Liars that we will be playing in the East unless something changes and in the East you have:

Howard, Bosh, Okafor, Wallace, Wallace, Oneal, Randolph, Smoove, Bargnani, Yi, Bogut, Diogu, Curry, Shaq, and others... playing PF or C in the East...

BUt the intent was to see how many honest people would come out and tell the truth!

Out of the list you provided only Howard and Bosh are truely "guaranteed" perenial all-stars.

1. Shaq has 1 or 2 years left max, and that is playing 1/2 seasons.

2. Both Wallaces only have a couple of quality years left max.

3. J. O'Niel and Okefor can't stay healthy long enough to male an allstar team.

4. Diogu, Bargani, Curry, Bogut have showed less then Smoove in terms of earing all star consideration for 2008.

5. Granted, Randolf will get mad love from the millions of Knicks fans in voting (which is awful considering his troubled past).

So right when Shaq, and the 2 Wallaces retire and J O'Niel falls apart Hoford will only be (23 to 24 with June birthday)hitting his, (full of upside), prime.

I definatly see his "upside" including all star potential.

• Premium Member

I will put it like this...

Go back through all of your predraft polls... There was conversation about Horford being an allstar, Conley being an allstar, and Yi being an allstar. At no time did Horford have 75% of the consensus of the board and at most times, the reason was that he was not allstar material but that he would be a solid player who could possibly play Center. It might not have been said in your poll, but the conversation on the board was that and your poll is an accurate reflection.

Now, before the draft, I would say a Majority didn't think he was allstar material. NOW after the draft, a majority thinks he is.

We're not talking about weather we like him differently because you may like him now more than before... However, this is a discussion on tangible goals. To change your mind about tangible goals means that you were lying at some point.

• Premium Member

... in comparison to Acie's, at least judging from their answers about music and movies. That's more of a compliment to Al than it is a dig on Acie, btw... one might expect Acie's answers from a 22 year-old, but would more likely expect Al's answers from a 32 year-old.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedi...hawks0703a.html

• Moderators

I understand your argument about peope not being intellectually honest if they have changed their mind simply because we drafted him. At the same time, give people a chance to explain their decision because some people might have said that they didn't view him as an All-Star calibre player when the original poll was done but have seen more footage of him, read more about him, etc. and changed their mind. The polls might also read differently which could account for some difference (or they might be identical - I haven't gone back and read them). Finally, there might be different people voting on different polls. If that was the height of the Yi hype on the Squawk, for example, you might have had Yi supporters who are no longer a part of the board voting against Horford to hype Yi, etc.

Just a lot of potential for people to be honest in their voting on this poll, IMO.

Quote:

... in comparison to Acie's, at least judging from their answers about music and movies. That's more of a compliment to Al than it is a dig on Acie, btw... one might expect Acie's answers from a 22 year-old, but would more likely expect Al's answers from a 32 year-old.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedi...hawks0703a.html

So Al's going back to #42 huh? It's too bad because that 15 looks good on him

I like when big guys wear the low numbers