• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

OT-Yi's trade request

Dragitoff

I was reading yet another article on RealGM about Yi's group requesting a trade from Milwaukee and not even discussing the opportunity of playing in Milwaukee. Looking at Milwaukee's roster and salary situation, they've really screwed themselves on this deal. They don't have many players under contract right now and can't afford to trade Yi and take back any salary. The only way they can deal him is to take back draft picks, rights to picks or package him with another player and take back players with less or equal financial value. They really backed themselves into a corner making that pick. I found it interesting to say the least.

I really hope they don't budge and force him to choose between not being in the NBA (for at least 2 years) and going to Milwaukee. Incoming draftees can't have this power or the smaller teams will never compete. Not to mention that he's so unproven.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I really hope they don't budge and force him to choose between not being in the NBA (for at least 2 years) and going to Milwaukee. Incoming draftees can't have this power or the smaller teams will never compete. Not to mention that he's so unproven.

While I agree with why Yi would not want to play in Milwaukee I agree with this. Vancouver should have taken Steve Francis and forced him to play. If you let drafted players have this much power to decide where to go then the entire draft process is a farce. How can any non-prime location (NY, Chi, Bos, LA, even Atl and Miami to an extent) ever truly compete?

If I'm the Bucks I force this kid to play or let him waste away in China.

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from but if the Hawks had drafted him and he refused to come to Atlanta; I would want a trade to happen ASAP. I wouldn't want my team to waste a #6 pick to prove a point.

Quote:

Agreed. He should ge black balled from the NBA if he refuses to play for the Bucks. The same thing should have happened to Francis.

The thing is Milwaukee knew what to expect going into it. From all reports, they were told not to select him. I know it's crazy for prospects to specifically say they will or will not play for certain teams. Look at professional baseball. Their draft is the worst. Alot of smaller market teams (that need the help the most) won't draft top prospects because of "signability" issues. It stinks, but it is the nature of the game. I think the biggest bone-headed move was for Milwaukee to do this deal at all. They had to realize with their current roster and payroll situation, they wouldn't get fair value for the #6 pick in the draft. Teams know they have them at a disadvantage so teams like Golden State, L.A. Lakers, Atlanta, or any other team his reps said he'd play for can make low-ball offers simply because Milwaukee has no real leverage in the situation. Do they let him go to play in China for 2 years and get nothing in return for him or do they take a low offer for him? You gotta' think they didn't play this out properly.

Quote:

While I agree with why Yi would not want to play in Milwaukee I agree with this. Vancouver should have taken Steve Francis and forced him to play. If you let drafted players have this much power to decide where to go then the entire draft process is a farce. How can any non-prime location (NY, Chi, Bos, LA, even Atl and Miami to an extent) ever truly compete?

You can't be serious...ATL, Boston, and NY were three of the worst teams in the NBA last year, while San Antonio (a non prime location) has won 4 championships in the last 9 years.

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. He should ge black balled from the NBA if he refuses to play for the Bucks. The same thing should have happened to Francis.

I think Yi would be blue balled if he didn't get to play for the Bucks. His hunger is there, and I hope that wins in the long run.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

You can't be serious...ATL, Boston, and NY were three of the worst teams in the NBA last year, while San Antonio (a non prime location) has won 4 championships in the last 9 years.

Yes, you know often people mention sunny San Antonio as among the prime locations and cities in America. shhh.gif

San Antonio has 4 rings thanks to Duncan. If he pulled a Yi situation and refused to go a small market like San Antonio then they never would have won anything.