• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Missteps in FA could help Hawks.

Diesel

• Premium Member

1. Orlando getting Lewis.

This kinda seals any chance for Orlando to resign Darko AND they need another post player.

2. Bobkittens not resigning Wallace.

IF Wallace is not resigned, the Bobcats will be on a downward spiral. They have made so much of resigning Carroll and getting Richardson, but the first thing on their plate should have been Wallace.

2. Detroit and Billups.

If they don't get Billups, they are in trouble. If they overpay for Billups, they are in trouble. McDyess is a nice cheap piece that it looks like they will lose.

3. Indiana = No Movement.

The Pacers should have got in the hunt for a PG. I think they should call us for Anthony Johnson. I don't know if I want any of their players though. We're stacked. Have you seen their salaries? Marquis Daniels, Tinsley, Dunleavy Jr. , and Murphy.... DAMN... They will have these guys for the next 4 years...

Philly

Actually, this is the team I want to deal with. Give me Dalembert. Zaza, Lo, Aj for Dalembert! Otherwise, Philly has done nothing. Their draft is a joke.

These teams are hurting themself.

one other team is Boston... I can't tell yet, but if Allen is not 100%, boy that was a bad move.

best post i've read from you since registering...

I think you do a lot better analyzing other teams than our own Hawks tongue.gif

but anyways, I also would also like to make a pitch for Dalembert. If we could get him for a decent trade price, i'd do it (I would not trade away any of JJ, JS, MW, or Horford though).

1. I don't think it seals it for Orlando. They pissed off Darko's agent, but IMO they owe him one anyway because he is also Fran Vazquez's agent. They can still offer Darko more than most teams because he is their free agent. Really, the only thing they did was make it where they couldn't match his salary (and force him to play in Orlando) if someone else made an offer. Supposedly Darko wants 10 mil per year. I can't see anyone offering that. He might get 8, but not 10. If the best offer he gets is the MLE and Orlando offers a deal starting at 7 (pissed off agent or not) I think Darko would go back to Orlando.

2. I agree, that is just plain out dumb. J-Rich will provide scoring, but Wallace brings so much more. Wallace can defend, rebound and block shots like few small forwards in the league. He is not the scorer JRich is, (not many are for that matter) but Wallace is a player who's game is still expanding and plays with all out effort all the time.

2? umm... b. I agree, they are in trouble either way. IMO, their solution is to unload Nazr for an expiring deal and only pay the luxury tax for one year.

3. Bird got worked over by Mullin in the Harrington trade. Kudos to BK for not accepting that load of crap from them. They're not in a good situation. IMO, they need to off-load J.O. and try to get rid of some of those terrible contracts in the process.

Indy - I don't know what they were thinking in the draft either. I like Dalembert, but I hate his contract. He is worth about half of what he makes. I would not do the trade you proposed. I'd love to get Stuckey, but I doubt they would move him.

Dalembert's contract is bloated for sure.

BUT, if Philly would give him to us for the deal Diesel offered... Zaza, AJ and Lo', we would be stupid to not take that (and Philly would never do that anyways).

While he is overpaid, he is worth it for us because HE IS THE EXACT TYPE OF PLAYER WE NEED (and who knows how he develops... Chandler didnt seem too bad to trade away and Chicago paid for that one). We can afford to give him 2-3 million a year too much, just because he fills such a gaping need for us (a defensive 5 who can rebound).

Chandler, Biedrens, Ben Wallace, Camby, Dalembert.

These are all the type of players we need, and I think only the latter 2 are realistically attainable.

So yeah, I'd take Dalembert even with that contract (but I dont trade away too much for him... Zaza or Shelly + change is what I would do).

• Premium Member

I don't know. It depends on how Philly want to look next year.

IF they want to be in the free agent hunt, then they would definitely want to unload Dalembert.

They will be under the cap, but doing the trade I mention, they will be able to resign AI, and they have a ton of money to go after guys like Brand, KG, and the class of 2005. Summer 2008 will be a huge FA class... the first under the new CBA!

if deal w/ pacers, what kind of $ does Foster make? He would be a great, dirt, does all the little stuff no one else wants to do kind of player to have.

He is not great, but if his $ is not too bad, and we could get him for AJ or similar talent,I would not mind seeing him on this roster at all. Kind of the defensive answer for Zaza.

*eh just looked it up on ESPN trade machine and it has him down 3 years 5.5 for this season. Would totally depend on the who was being sent from us, I suppose.

I like this thread but wanted to dig a little deeper into why these moves are considered missteps. A couple of follow up questions....

1. Why does Orlando need another post player with Josh Howard, Battie, and Lewis at 3, 4 and 5?

2. How is Jason Richardson not an upgrade at 2 for CHarlotte?

3. Where else is Billups going to go except Detroit?

4. I just threw up in my mouth thinking about Indiana's situation. No questions.

5. Why would Philly want our scrubs for their starting center?

• Premium Member

Orlando...

It's Dwight Howard, Battie, and Lewis at the 5,5, and 3.

Let's ask.. Who's playing PF? If it's Howard, who is his backup and who is backing up C? Have you seen Battie play lately? The truth is that Battie is older and ineffective. He's just a warm body to put on the floor. Resigning Darko would have given them a chance to have a post player who can score and defend in the post and run with the rest of the team. I like Lewis, but I think that Lewis is going to be not much better than Grant Hill was last year. He's a little younger and he shoots from range better, but his contribution is out of the midrange and around the perimeter. Orlando will need help in the post. They have no depth at Pf and C.

Why do you consider Philly's draft a joke? They got Thad Young, Jason Smith and Byers. That seems like a talented group to me. You factor in how well they played after the AI trade, a decent mix of vets and kids and they are definitely in the playoff picture for the East (which granted is not saying much).

• Premium Member

I consider Philly's draft a joke because they didn't really get what they needed. They got 2 swingmen and a C.

First is Position problems

1. They need PG and PF.

but let's look Deeper.

1. Why pick Thad Young when you can get Al Thornton? Hooray for Ga Tech and all but you don't pass up Thornton especially when you need more offensive firepower.

If Not Thornton, Julian Wright was also available. Wright is a skinny Mashburn.

2. Jason Smith. When do you expect to play him? With Hunter/Dalembert on the roster, when does Smith play? If you needed a PF, there's Splitter, there's Fazekas (who's the best of the bunch), there's even Jared Dudley. I just think Smith is a bad pick at that pick.

3. Byers. No disrespect to Vanderbilt, but how many swingmen do you need?? They would have done better to hold on to Koponen. He's what they needed... a replacement for Miller. Not another Swingman. IF you go down the roster in Philly, I'm willing to bet that they have 7 swingmen.

I think they envision Jason Smith playing some power forward. He is supposed to be quite athletic. That said, they could be angling to have assets to trade as part of a sign and trade during next summers free agent period.

My sense is that they have loaded up on swingmen in the past two drafts in the hopes that one of them breaks.

• Premium Member

Smith is more of a Center than PF.. He's not so Atheletic. Fazekas would have been a better choice for a pure PF... Still, though, they know they will need a PG... And they have a nation of Swingmen...

I mean: Korver, Carney, Green, Jones... now these two.

They must really feel confident will Louis Armstrong.. He's the only BU PG?

And They must really like...... Joe Smith.. I don't even know if he's under contract this year, but Smith was on my FL team and he wasn't 20/10... I just don't see the purpose of their picks.