• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

You be the GM......

Dragitoff

Now the draft is over, let's see what you would do if you were the GM.

Sign Darko Millicic to 4/$28 million deal

Trade Lorenzen Wright to Charlotte for 2008 2nd round pick

Trade Anthony Johnson to Milwaukee for 2008 2nd round pick

Starting Lineup:

Claxton/J. Johnson/Smith/Horford/Millicic

Depth Chart:

Claxton/Lue/Law

Johnson/Childress/Stoudamire

Smith/M. Williams/Childress

Horford/Smith/S. Williams

Millicic/Pachulia/Jones

To me, that's a great young team with alot of depth. I see that being a good team not just this year, but for years to come.

I'd rather make a move for Gasol instead of Darko, but I think it's more realistic to see us getting someone like Darko rather than Gasol and Darko would command about 1/2 of Gasol's salary making it a little easier to re-sign JSmoove

Guest Walter

Quote:

Now the draft is over, let's see what you would do if you were the GM

1) The "get superstar potential anyway I can" option.

If Yi is really unwilling to play for Milwualkee (but as reported wants to play for Atlanta) trade SW/MW for Yi/(minor player). Milwaulkee needs both a Pf like SW and a Sf with potential like MW. We need a superstar and a consistent mismatch advantage. Horford at center next to a 7'er with a 7'5" wingspan and JS at Sf isn't as bad as a JS/Horford VERY undersized (and under-post-skilled) frontcourt. There you have it.

2) The "Make it work, perhaps work well" option.

Quote:

Sign Darko Millicic to 4/$28 million deal

Trade Lorenzen Wright to Charlotte for 2008 2nd round pick

Trade Anthony Johnson to Milwaukee for 2008 2nd round pick

You could potentially (unlikely) replace Milicic with Gasol in a trade like you said. This deal makes us resemble a real NBA team in terms of interior size, height/length, skill, and skill variability. Likely MW for Darko or JC/ZaZa or SW for Darko. We can't afford all these prospects!

I like either option. 2 is the most realistic. In fact it's VERY realistic. Which is why it is doubtful we'll even hear a peep out of BK about it.

W

I like the way you want to flip our expiring contracts for 2nd rounders. I would not be too quick to do that though. We may be able to get more then that for them. They would be attractive fillers (last year of contract) for a bigger trade that may feature Marvin or Chills.

I could live without Darko. He is not a good as ZaZa evcen though they are aoutthe same age. I don't think Darko is as good as Horford or Sheldon yet Darko will make morethen Sheldon and Horford combined.

I'd rather go after a defensive big like Dalembert rather nthen a softunproven gamlbe in Darko. If the 76ers are looking to rebuild (rumor is they like Darko) and cut long term salary Dalembert may be expendable.

I'd offer ZaZa, Lo, Lue for Dalembert. I'm sure they would try to get Chills or Sheldon from us. I would be willing to throw in Sheldon for a dynamic shot blocker like Dalembert:

Hawks: ZaZa, Lo, Lue, Sheldon

for:

Dalembert and maybe Korver too.

This would give us plenty of shot blocking.

Law (24)/ Speedy (24)/ AJ

JJ (36)/ / Chills (12)/Salim / Law

Marvin (32) / Chills (16)

Smith (32) / Hoford (12) / Sheldon (4)/ Jones

Dalembert (28)/ Hoford (16)/ Sheldon (4) / Jones

The 76ers would have saved a lot of guaranteed future contract money by shedding Dalembert. They could pair Hunter, ZaZa, Darko, and Sheldon as their front cout tandem while they wait on more lottery balls. A bruiser like Sheldon is necessary to compliment the rail thin Hunter and soft Darko. ZaZa is the kind of effort guy any team would love off the bench. This is definalty a much deeper front court then Dalembert and Hunter all by themselves.

We may or may not be able to trade AJ for a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't do it if I was another team unless I was really desperate for a BU PG.

There is no way in hell we can trade Lo Wright for a 2nd round pick. We couldn't give Lo Wright away for free. The only way we're getting rid fo Lo Wright is if we take a bad contract back in return or he's part of a larger deal where we're giving additional value to the other team. Not that Lo's contract is HUGE, but he's being paid $3.25MM and he's worth the league minimum at best.

Quote:

1) The "get superstar potential anyway I can" option.

If Yi is really unwilling to play for Milwualkee (but as reported wants to play for Atlanta) trade SW/MW for Yi/(minor player). Milwaulkee needs both a Pf like SW and a Sf with potential like MW. We need a superstar and a consistent mismatch advantage. Horford at center next to a 7'er with a 7'5" wingspan and JS at Sf isn't as bad as a JS/Horford VERY undersized (and under-post-skilled) frontcourt. There you have it.

You want to trade the #5 pick last year and the #2 pick from 2005 (who is YOUNGER and BETTER than Yi, already) for the #6 pick THIS year??? pillepalle.gif

Not to mention, Yi recently getting tooled around by 18 year old 2nd tier US players.

Quote:

2) The "Make it work, perhaps work well" option.

You could potentially (unlikely) replace Milicic with Gasol in a trade like you said.
This deal makes us resemble a real NBA team in terms of interior size, height/length, skill, and skill variability. Likely MW for Darko or JC/ZaZa or SW for Darko. We can't afford all these prospects!

W

MW FOR DARKO????!?!?

Are you freaking serious??? Darko hasn't proven crap...He averaged 8 pts and 5 rebs...MW is a MUCH better prospect.

I wouldn't even really want to let Chillz go for him, but I guess if push came to shove, I'd think about it just because of our needs.

SW for Darko is really pushing it...Maybe if they gave us a back-up SG in the deal.

Guest Walter

Quote:

MW FOR DARKO????!?!?

Are you freaking serious??? Darko hasn't proven crap...He averaged 8 pts and 5 rebs...MW is a MUCH better prospect.

Interesting, I didn't see you respond with the same ire when DrZ. posted this identical notion. Selective ire I guess. Please direct your ire towards DrZ. as well, since for you to not to would indicate your are intending to be a jackass to me personally more than you are intending anything else.

MW isn't a better prospect because what he does (mid range shooting) isn't as valuable as what Darko does s(core some, rebound and block ALOT of shots). Darko averaged 1.8 BPG in 24 MPG. That's pretty d@mn serious shot blocking in HALF a game. BTW, Darko had a significantly higher per48 TENDEX and a higher Roland Rating than MW. And MW is a better prospect?!? Even more impressive, regarding defensive TENDEX Darko is the FOURTH rated center per48, 6th regardless of MPG! And MW is a better prospect?!?

http://www.dougstats.com/06-07DefensiveTendex.html

Now that's IMPRESSIVE and exactly what we need! A defensive force at center who isn't an offensive liability. Bingo! BINGO!

The only thing MW ranks in is having his own shot blocked. And MW is a better prospect?!? Who knows, perhaps MW propelled Darko to his being such a shot block wizard by hamming a couple up for Milicic to swat away and pad his stats.

Lastly, Darko would make Horford, JS, everybody else better. I see NOTHING in MW that makes all his teamates better. Never have. I see Darko as an ideal compliement to Horford in the post. We'd be like Orlando last year with Horford being a Howard-lite but with JJ being a Hill 7 years ago, simlar Pg play (likely), and JS which Orlando had nothing to compare with. I'd TAKE THAT! NOW who wouldn't make that trade? Darko was the 4th best center defensively statistically per minute and at the age of 22 when bigs are just coming into their own where else can he go but #1 or #2!

W

Quote:

Interesting, I didn't see you respond with the same ire when DrZ. posted this identical notion. Selective ire I guess.
Please direct your ire towards DrZ. as well
, since for you to not to would indicate your are intending to be a jackass to me personally more than you are intending anything else.

MW isn't a better prospect because what he does (mid range shooting) isn't as valuable as what Darko does s(core some, rebound and block ALOT of shots). Darko averaged 1.8 BPG in 24 MPG. That's pretty
d@mn
serious shot blocking in HALF a game. BTW, Darko had a significantly higher per48 TENDEX and a higher Roland Rating than MW. And MW is a better prospect?!? Even more impressive, regarding defensive TENDEX Darko is the FOURTH rated center per48, 6th regardless of MPG! And MW is a better prospect?!?

http://www.dougstats.com/06-07DefensiveTendex.html

Now that's IMPRESSIVE and exactly what we need! A defensive force at center who isn't an offensive liability. Bingo! BINGO!

The only thing MW ranks in is having his own shot blocked. And MW is a better prospect?!? Who knows, perhaps MW propelled Darko to his being such a shot block wizard by hamming a couple up for Milicic to swat away and pad his stats.

Lastly, Darko would make Horford, JS, everybody else better. I see NOTHING in MW that makes all his teamates better. Never have. NOW who wouldn't make that trade? Darko was the 4th best center defensively statistically per minute and at the age of 22 when bigs are just coming into their own where else can he go but #1 or #2!

W

I'm all for getting Darko, but I am not all for giving up our 20 year old that has as much potential as any young player in the league for someone who by all comparisons has so far been a COMPLETE BUST.

Like I said, I would heavily consider giving up Chillz for him...and I would trade SW for him and a back-up SG, but Marvin is completely out of the question.

This is preposterous. Marvin Williams has by all objective measures been a bust as well. He does not have as much potential as any young player in the league. That's a flat out false statement (as much potential as Oden? Durant? Dwight Howard?). If everything goes right, he may someday be a solid starter. He'll never be an All-Star. He may end up just being a 6th man.

Darko has at least shown signs of turning the corner. He plays tremendous defense at the most important position to play tremendous defense. Center is the hardest position on the floor to fill, and Darko fills it better than Marvin fills SF right now.

Contracts aside, I would much rather have Darko on my team than MW.

Yes, I would.

Carmelo put up a PER of 17.6 his first year and 16.8 his 2nd year before breaking out with a 22+ PER in his 3rd and 4th years. He has scored over 20 ppg every year of his career.

MW put up a 12.2 PER his first year and a 12.3 PER his second year. In terms of scoring: 9 ppg his first year and 13 ppg his second year. There is, in fact, nothing similar about the two, and you insult everybody's intelligence by suggesting there is.

Now please go ahead and post your bogus stats that suggest they are similar.

Quote:

Yes, I would.

Carmelo put up a PER of 17.6 his first year and 16.8 his 2nd year before breaking out with a 22+ PER in his 3rd and 4th years. He has scored over 20 ppg every year of his career.

MW put up a 12.2 PER his first year and a 12.3 PER his second year. In terms of scoring: 9 ppg his first year and 13 ppg his second year. There is, in fact, nothing similar about the two, and you insult everybody's intelligence by suggesting there is.

Here were Carmelo's stats his 2nd year in the league:

- .431 FG%

- .266 3Pt FG%

- .796 FT%

- .9 steals/game

- .4 bpg

- 5.7 rpg

- .866 assist to turnover ratio

- 20.8 ppg

Here were Marvin's stats last year :

- .433 FG%

- .244 3 point %

- .815 FT%

- .8 steals/game

- .5 bpg

- 5.3 rpg

- .95 assist to turnover ratio

- 13.1 ppg

Obviously, Carmelo got the ball a lot more...But their FG %'s are very similar...As are the rest of their numbers.

The 3rd year in the league is normally when players have their biggest "jumps" in statistics.

wink.gif

jdu00743 keep in mind, that Carmelo is the focas of the other teams defense.Carmelo creates his own shot most of the time, snd he has to face double teams.

Teams don't gear up to stop Marvin. Noone double teams him, and, Marvin rarley ever creates his own shot.

Quote:

Yes, I would.

Here were Carmelo's stats his 2nd year in the league:

- .431 FG%

- .266 3Pt FG%

- .796 FT%

- .9 steals/game

- .4 bpg

- 5.7 rpg

- .866 assist to turnover ratio

- 20.8 ppg

Here were Marvin's stats last year :

- .433 FG%

- .244 3 point %

- .815 FT%

- .8 steals/game

- .5 bpg

- 5.3 rpg

- .95 assist to turnover ratio

- 13.1 ppg

Obviously, Carmelo got the ball a lot more...But their FG %'s are very similar...As are the rest of their numbers.

The 3rd year in the league is normally when players have their biggest "jumps" in statistics.

wink.gif

Maybe you did not know this but if you shoot the ball more that makes you a better player. Obviously this is how Walter see's things. And that damn TENDEX he likes to cite all the time...

I have been following basketball for over 30 years and never read or heard about the TENDEX until I read a post by Walter....never once heard a GM, coach, scout, or reporter state "I like his potential and TENDEX score". But if you ask Walter, this TENDEX is the do all tell all for potential. No one needs anything else; don't hire scouts to look at other NBA players, don't measure the guys athletic ability, just check the TENDEX.

That is all you need to determine if a player is a potential all-star, a decent starter, or a flat out bust. I swear to you, that is exactly what he thinks. And for that reason, he will use it in every debate on a NBA players potential he gets into. Every single one....

Guest Walter

Quote:

Maybe you did not know this but if you shoot the ball more that makes you a better player. Obviously this is how Walter see's things. And that damn TENDEX he likes to cite all the time.

I have been following basketball for over 30 years and never read or heard about the TENDEX until I read a post by Walter....never once heard a GM, coach, scout, or reporter state "I like his potential and TENDEX score". But if you ask Walter, this TENDEX is the do all tell all for potential. No one needs anything else; don't hire scouts to look at other NBA players, don't measure the guys athletic ability, just check the TENDEX.

That is all you need to determine if a player is a potential all-star, a decent starter, or a flat out bust. I swear to you, that is exactly what he thinks. And for that reason, he will use it in every debate on a NBA players potential he gets into. Every single one....

What an ignorant, [censored] bit there. I use all manor of statistics. PER, TENDEX, 82games/Roland Rating. I use various articles. What besides bare naked opinion and hee-haw strawmanning do you use?

Oh, I forgot, the "30 years of experience watching basketball". Hello, we all have experience watching basketball! Some if not most of us have experience playing it on some level. What do you offer that we don't have? Anything? Bring something to the picnic before you complain about the spread, comprende ye ol' grand experienced basketball watcher?

W

Quote:

I have been following basketball for over 30 years and never read or heard about the TENDEX until I read a post by Walter

Walter what I said above was true. You claim this tendex is the do all, tell all and I never heard of the damn thing until I read one of your post. No one professionally uses it that I have ever read of or heard of. You do not have to like it; just accept it. Or don't...

Go find me some quotes and sources from professionals that use it; then I would buy into it. But until then; just give me the stat line. I know the professionals look at that one...as well as the bookies.

Quote:

Maybe you did not know this but if you shoot the ball more that makes you a better player. Obviously this is how Walter see's things. And that damn TENDEX he likes to cite all the time...

If you shoot the ball more it doesn't make you a better player, BUT if you shoot the same percentage and take more shots in most every case it's the sign of a better player.

Carmello is the focus of the defense. MW stands around and waits for someone to set him up with a midrange jumper. You can crunch and compare stats (I think the stats comparing MW to Carmello don't compare), but if you watch MW play he is not assertive. I believe any defense that decided they were going to shut down MW could accomplish that. JJ would have a field day.

Darko plays a position of need. A lineup of Darko, Horford, JS, JJ, and Law is a more promising lineup than if you try to throw MW into the mix. The lineup with Darko in it accomplishes everything that a lineup involving MW would, but Darko is able to do things that MW can't. Honestly, what skills do MW bring to the table other than to grab a rebound here and there, shoot a decent midrange jumper, and not turn the ball over? That was his role last season, and I think more can be done with one of the five guys we have out on the court.

I think MW needs to be traded now while the perception is he still has potential. I don't think he will be traded, and I hope I'm wrong about his potential...but I don't expect him to ever be able to set up his own shot.

Lastly, the tendex isn't an end all be all stat, but you can't just claim it's irrelevant because you've never heard of it. I'd heard of it before I'd heard of Walter. If you trashed the tendex rating before reading the formula that went into the tendex rating then your roundabout reason for discounting it is exactly that.

Quote:

Walter what I said above was true. You claim this tendex is the do all, tell all and I never heard of the damn thing until I read one of your post. No one professionally uses it that I have ever read of or heard of. You do not have to like it; just accept it. Or don't...

Go find me some quotes and sources from professionals that use it; then I would buy into it. But until then; just give me the stat line. I know the professionals look at that one...as well as the bookies.

http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/ratings.html

Now you've heard about it. What about the tendex rating is irrelevant?

I know MWill was a lesser overall player than Carmelo his second year and I do not need a TENDEX to tell me this. I also know Marvin played great the last six weeks of the season; I do not need a TENDEX to tell me that either.

My point was not that I had never heard of it until Walter; but it was I have never heard a GM, coach, scout, or even a reporter citing the damn thing. Another problem with stats is that some players like Marvin and Carmelo are getting theirs against starters; while others coming off the bench are getting theirs against backups. Now if the TENDEX states they have that factored in; I say they are full of it. Because just as all starters are not the same; all bench players level of play is not the same either.

I am sorry I hurt some feelings by not giving the TENDEX its do. But then again, I still do not think the TENDEX is relevant at all. I will just watch the games, take a peek at the line, and figure out if I like a player or not from there. But I appreciate the offer to take a look at the site.