Kevin Martin

2.9 PPG

10.8 PPG

20.2 PPG

Marvin Williams

8.5 PPG

13.1 PPG

18 PPG ??????

We can only hope that Marvin follows the pattern of these young forwards and he blossoms in his 3rd year as a starter.

Most of these guys (if not all) showed glimpses at the end of their 2nd year and Marvin is no exception.

Let's just hope he can continue to show those glimpses throughout next season.

If he does, and averages 16-18 PPG my goodness could this team be dangerous.

That's why I think Marvin Williams is the X-Factor.

If he doesn't improve it puts a lot of pressure on Horford AND Law to produce at a very high level next year.

However, if Marvin blossoms, considering the depth we potentially have, we could be talking about a playoff team with Horford and Law just playing at average.

If Law and Horford live up to their expectations AND Marvin blossoms, then we're talking about a turnaround like the 2004-2005 Bulls going from laughing stock to high playoff seed

Absolutely correct here. Marvin would fit this team like a glove if he can be a dangerous and efficient enough shooter to stretch the defense out a little bit. I really want to give Marvin this 3rd year to see how he does. I would only move him for a sure thing, no brainer trade.

Marvin has a chance to be Gerald Wallace or better if he has put in the work.

Great post!

I liked what I saw last year from Marvin - especially his ability to get to the line and convert at better than 80%. If you can get fouled because of your ability to drive to the basket and then hit your ft's at that rate you can become a weapon in the nba.

I also feel / hope Sheldon will have a strong 2nd year especially at the 5 where he played best last year (given his age a 2nd year breakout is possible). 2 guys battling for the 5 spot with neither named Horford would bode very well for this team. (Zsa Zsa has been very underrated by this board see his PER rating).

Best case scenario all these guys continue to develop and we are overloaded at the 3/4/5 and can make a FAIR TRADE (given the young players 2007 performance) and add veterans if we choose - we are still very young and very young teams have a hard time making it deep in the playoff - my personal pet peeve - the refs giving vets too much deference vs the young studs.

Marvin has to do more then score 18 ppg. He can't get abused any more on defense.

The East has added alot of scoring Sfs this year that Marvin will be responsible for.

Scoring 18 PPG game means nothing if you give right back on the other end like a Glenn Robinson for instance.

To me Marvin, offense will come. I really expect him to score between 16 and 18 ppg.

What scare me is his perimeter defense. Can he really defend SFs ?

Thank God we still have Chills and his defense for when and if MArvin gets abused defensivly.

With all these quck SG/SF hybrids playing SF Marvin scare me.

Match up headaches for Marvin in the East:

Gerald Wallace

Paul Pierce

Richard Jefferson

Luol Deng

LeBron James

Rashard Lewis

Q. Richardson

These guys are perimeter oriented and slashers at the same time. Marvin's perimeter defense scare the ***** out of me against these guys.

I hope Marvin's perimeter D proves me wrong.

Quote:

Here's just a little bit of why we should still hope in Marvin...the worst part of Marvin's game is finishing...but check out these finishes

(Yes, that was Josh Smith that he dunked all on)

LOL at that DUNK being posted a million times that was high school, Marvin has all the talent in the world to be a fantastic player... He's been given the green light on numerous ocassions... But he does nothing. This is his third year and it would be awesome if he could really start to be the player we all know he can...

• Premium Member

Marvin lacks aggression. In these other guys you could see the desire to be better than they were. Can't say the same for Marvin. So far, he has proved if he gets more playing time, he will do the same thing.

24.7 mpg = 8.5 ppg 44.3% shooting.

34.0 mpg = 13.1 ppg 43.3% shooting.

According to simple math, it would require Marvin playing 44.89 mpg to get 18.0... and his FG% is falling.

Quote:

Marvin lacks aggression. In these other guys you could see the desire to be better than they were. Can't say the same for Marvin. So far, he has proved if he gets more playing time, he will do the same thing.

According to simple math, it would require Marvin playing 44.89 mpg to get 18.0... and his FG% is falling.

Point is he showed the glimpses of improvement just like all these other guys

He didn't lack aggression in the final couple of months of the season.

Granted those games weren't as meaningful the point is if it translates to the beginning of the year, we have a special player

Same people who doubt Marvin can breakout are the same ones who doubted Smoove a year ago

• Premium Member

If you play 24 minutes and score 8.5 ppg... one year.

and then the next you play 34 minutes and score 13.5 ppg with a worst FG%... HOW is that improvement.

All that is is you on the floor longer, taking up space that somebody else could have had.

I am at work and cannot look this up. But how many minutes a game did Smoove play his 2nd year? You know the one he posted 11.3 PPG. Then his 3rd year Smoove broke out and became a much better scorer.

Why are you so blind to these things when it come to Marvin? It is like you are predjudice against the guy. Never mind. It is not like. It really is hatred and it is a shame for a grown man to act like this ...

I was at the Denver game last year and I choked on my beer when I saw Marvin do that. He needs to get stronger so he isn't tossed around so much when he takes it to the cup. He needs to be able to hit the 3 at a better rate - not that the mid range jumper is a bad thing to have. If Marvin does these things - then we should be set at the three for years to come.

Quote:

Marvin lacks aggression.

I challenge anyone on here to find a single player on the Hawks that took the ball to the rack harder than Marvin last year on a consistent basis. I know that Smoove dunks harder than Marvin does but he has altered his game a bit from the attacking player he was earlier in his career. Last year Marvin went to the rack time after time looking to draw contact and got better and better at finishing plus he knocked down his FTs at a very high percentage.

Seriously your bias against Marvin makes you look like a total a** sometimes Diesel.

Quote:

wow, he's on track as the rest of the folks listed in the first post and hasnt even tried yet? man, imagine if he tried! thanks for making that clearer for me Diesel.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I challenge anyone on here to find a single player on the Hawks that took the ball to the rack harder than Marvin last year on a consistent basis.

Joe Johnson!

Marvin taking the ball to the rack is a block waiting to happen. How is that going strong. When more than 20% of your attempts going to the rack get blocked..are you really taking it strong? I think not.