• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams: 3rd Time's The Charm

BusBoyIsBack

• Premium Member

How hard is this Busy..

He's a freakin SF for God sakes. We're not talking about a PG or C where you have a learning curve.. We're talking about a Sf. You know what Sfs do.. They run, rebound, and shoot. Nothing that a Sf does depend on thinking. Some of the dumbest guys in the world (basketball wise) were great Sfs... because it's a position that only requires you to run.

SO why the wait?

You waiting for him to raise his FG%... No that's dropping... How about his 3pt%? It's dismal.. No that's dropping too.

So what are these glimpses you refer to? It couldn't be the occasional dunk? I would rather see Marvin make 10 good basketball plays in a row with no dunk than to see him do what he does now and miss 10 and get a dunk and hear you talk about Glimpses???

He's the #2 pick overall damnit.

We passed up Paul and Deron for him.

Why should anybody be satisfied with Glimpses when he plays the easiest position in the game..

Honestly i dont remember Marvin being Aggresive until the final month of the season, after both JJ, and Chill were injured.

These stats are from 82games.com

It seems that almost 70% of Marvin's shot's were jumpers.

That' in increase from the season before.

He Shoots a much high % of jumpers than Chill or Smith,

and when he does go to the basket, He gets his shot blocked far more than Chill or Smith .

Josh Smith Scored inside more ,and shot less jumpers.Childress stayed the same.

Marvin

06-07 season -------05-06

Jumpshots 69%-------- jumpshots 61%

Close 25%------------ Close 25%

Dunks 4%------------- Dunks 10%

tips 1% -------------- 4%

inside 31%----------- inside 39%

Smith

06-07------------ 05-06

Jumpshots 51%------- jumpshots 62%

Close 36%------------close 26%

Dunks 11%------------dunks 10%

tips 1% ------------- inside 2%

inside 49%----------- inside 38%

Childress

06-07--------------05-06

Jumpshot 37%---------Jumpshots

Close 47% -----------close 43%

Dunks 11%------------Dunks 11%

tips 6%--------------tips 6%

Inside 63%-----------inside 63%

Getting thier shots blocked

Marvin

06-07 ---------05-06

Close 23%------close 26%

Dunks 6% ------dunks 9%

inside 20%-----inside 19%

Smith

06-07----------05-06

Close 12% ---------Close 14%

Dunks 2% ---------Dunks 0%

Inside 9%--------Inside 10%

Childress

06-07---------05-06

Close 20%---------Close 19%

Dunks 2%---------Dunks 0%

inside 15%--------inside 13%

Quote:

How hard is this Busy..

He's a freakin SF for God sakes. We're not talking about a PG or C where you have a learning curve.. We're talking about a Sf. You know what Sfs do.. They run, rebound, and shoot. Nothing that a Sf does depend on thinking. Some of the dumbest guys in the world (basketball wise) were great Sfs... because it's a position that only requires you to run.

SO why the wait?

You waiting for him to raise his FG%... No that's dropping... How about his 3pt%? It's dismal.. No that's dropping too.

So what are these glimpses you refer to? It couldn't be the occasional dunk? I would rather see Marvin make 10 good basketball plays in a row with no dunk than to see him do what he does now and miss 10 and get a dunk and hear you talk about Glimpses???

He's the #2 pick overall damnit.

We passed up Paul and Deron for him.

Why should anybody be satisfied with Glimpses when he plays the easiest position in the game..

So if SF is so easy to learn, then why is there proof of learning curves

Why weren't Deng, Smoove, etc as good in their 1st two years as they were in their 3rd years?

BTW, you keep bringing up FG%.

Guess what?

Josh Smith's FG% got worse in his 2nd year in the league. Is he a hopeless cause?

Iguodala's FG% was at a career low this year, so did he not really improve either?

Kevin Martin's FG% went down this year did he not improve?

Using your logic these guys minutes increased not their game

• Premium Member

The truth is that there was not much of a great leap for Deng. Deng was a all rookie first teamer. If you forgot, Deng got hurt in his first year and he missed several games. Never developed a rhythm because he got hurt and when he got back, he was sharing time with Niocini... then he got hurt again. With all that though, Deng still managed first team all rookie.

By the way, Josh Smith and Josh Childress were 2nd team all rookie and that was in one of the strongest draft classes ever....

Josh Smith, came straight from HS with no skillset. Still he was able to use what he got and prove that he belonged.

Marvin is 2nd pick overall... he has shown nothing!! And he's a Sf.

Quote:

The truth is that there was not much of a great leap for Deng. Deng was a all rookie first teamer. If you forgot, Deng got hurt in his first year and he missed several games. Never developed a rhythm because he got hurt and when he got back, he was sharing time with Niocini... then he got hurt again. With all that though, Deng still managed first team all rookie.

By the way, Josh Smith and Josh Childress were 2nd team all rookie and that was in one of the strongest draft classes ever....

Josh Smith, came straight from HS with no skillset. Still he was able to use what he got and prove that he belonged.

Marvin is 2nd pick overall... he has shown nothing!! And he's a Sf.

Deng improved in FG% every year. Absolutely.

But not Smoove, not Kevin Martin, not Iguodala.

Not all those guys improved in FG% every year.

You use the argument of how strong the class was, guess what? Marvin Williams stats in his first two years in the league are almost exactly the same as Smoove outside of BPG.

I know Marvin will never be as great a shot blocker as Smoove but you can't ignore the similar stats in PPG/RPG and FG%.

Using Deng dosn't excuse those other guys.

Again if every SF was in their prime their first couple of years n the league you'd have a point.

But that's not the case.

Man there sure is a lot of doubt for Marvin and Al Horford.

I look forward to these guys proving you wrong

Marvin vs Josh Smith in First Two years

PPG

Josh Smith- 10.5

Marvin Williams- 10.6

FG %

Josh Smith- .438

Marvin- .447

3P %

Josh Smith- .283

Marvin Williams- .245

FT %

Josh Smith- .705

Marvin Williams- .782

RPG

Josh Smith- 6.4

Marvin Williams- 5.0

Turnovers

Josh Smith- 1.9

Marvin Williams- 1.5

Looks pretty even to me

Raw numbers really don't mean anything, though. Marvin and Josh are very different players, and Josh's progress really says nothing of Marvin's potential. Dirk and Zach Randolph also have similar numbers, but are they comparable players? No.

Quote:

Raw numbers really don't mean anything, though. Marvin and Josh are very different players, and Josh's progress really says nothing of Marvin's potential. Dirk and Zach Randolph also have similar numbers, but are they comparable players? No.

Lol man you guys are something else

Im not saying that Marvin will be as good as Josh

Im saying that it is more than feasible that Marvn Williams could HAVE A BREAKOUT SEASON like Josh Smith, Andre Iguodala, and several other players have had in the last few years

Why is that so unreasonable considering most of these players had pedestrian numbers like Marvin in their first couple of years?

Guess most of you are just from the "Show Me" State

• Premium Member

So Josh had a breakout season.

That doesn't mean Marvin will have one. Josh was Much More aggressive than Marvin during his 2nd and 1st year.

Why not consider the other alternative:

Damarr Johnson never had a break out year. He reminds me of Marvin. Maybe Marvin will never have a breakout year!

Do you see how stupid the logic is.

Each player is unique. Must be evaluated on their own play. Until you figure this out, your logic will be bad and you will be making statements like you did in the other post... About being mistaken.

Far be it for me to chime in on this lovefest, but I think that Marvin can/will progress nicely. My only problem with Marvin has been consistency. I don't really care if people like him or not, but there are stretches of games (albeit, usually one quarter) where he will leave you gasping at the things he can do. I've been upset with him just as anyone else, but I think he has the potential to not only improve, but to be a significant piece for the Hawks for years to come.

I don't need stats to see potential. Whether he reaches it in Atlanta is anyones guess.

BTW, remember the cover on I think it was SLAM!, where Marvin was the center piece along with J.Smith and D.Howard. That was a classic HS class right there!