• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks prevent coaches from leaving for other jobs

D.R.P.

Of course this decision was from on high. I also believe it is with instructions from the legal team. With every incident, episode, limitation, it is more ammunition to blame Belkin. These issues are noted by the league as well. Making these limitations and wrongings publicly serve to inure the ASG defense, the effort to reverse the Maryland court decision.

BK is the one taking All the hits, all of them. But it is not his decision. It Is thou his job. The guy has one of the toughest jobs in town. He is a tough guy.

The near Amare trade, no FA's, no management movement.

The ASG are at WAR.

You may look at BK and see it simply checkers, but it is Chess.

judge.gif

Don't worry about this situation.

I doubt any assistants would want to be assistants UNDER WOODSON anyway.

On the other side, we shouldn't have let those two guys interview with over teams. How could they even be offered those good-looking positions after they did nothing at all to help this team? They were the same two guys who ran the draftee workouts last month, and now they want to leave?

Quote:

At least we got Herb Brown. This guy is loyal and seeing this thing through. He is better than both of those bum assistants. Let them leave.

iagree.gif Drew and Fiz are UNDER CONTRACT! Why have contracts if they're not going to be kept? This is along the same lines as players DEMANDING trades. DO YOUR JOB!!! judge.gif

I've lost respect for these two. Hopefully our players haven't. worried.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

more than anything, i think this tells a lot of what the assistants feel about Woody.....if you thought you were on the verge of something good (turning this franchise around), wouldnt you want to stay?

Not if you were going to be thrown out regardless of the on-court results if a change in ownership comes.

hawksfanatic - My guess (and that is what it is) is that (1) BK didn't realize how hard a time he would have getting replacement assistants until he put out feelers while they were interviewing, (2) BK didn't think things through and when the possibility of losing two quality assistants became a reality he reversed course or (3) whoever initially authorized the interviews was reversed by someone higher up within the organization.

Bottomline - I don't think we see this if the ownership situation was resolved. I agree that the Hawks know the rules of the game already but knowing how high payroll can go and knowing what the implications of that limitation are on the ability to recruit assistant coaches may be two different things.

Quote:

You do realize that assistant coaches get permission to talk to other teams and end up leaving all the time in the NBA don't you? This is even when they are under contract. It is common practice and BK or the Spirit screwed this up by telling them they could go and then pulling the rug underneath them. The coaches weren't "demanding" anything, they requested to talk to other teams and were granted the request.

Yes I do realize. Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right.

The trade demand reference I used pertains to the assumption of these pros (players or coaches) thinking they aren't obligated to keep their contracts. They ARE getting paid. munching_out.gif

I dont mind BK not letting them leave. It was the right thing to do. I think BK let them interview for the experience and contacts. Also if they had gotten a head coaching position he would have let them go. But for a lateral move? No. We get mad at players for this, lets hold coaches to the same standard.

And as for Larry Drew wanting to be close to his kid? He knew the kid was in 9th grade when he came here. He knew this day would be coming. I have no sympathy for this family reason.