• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Simple reason why coaches can't leave.

coachx

I ask you guys to take a step back and see the big picture.

The Atlanta Hawks franchise is in unknown territory.

No other team in the history of American professional sports has had an ownership fiasco be held up in court for this long.

The GM, head coach, and every assistant has one year left on their contract with little to no job security. It would make sense for all these guys to jump ship and go to a "better situation" with more job security. Well, Woody and BK can't do that b/c their performances to date have not had the intended results. Though BK has been handcuffed in making true block buster moves by the courts and multiple owners.

If the franchise allowed their assistants to leave there would be no one to replace them. No one in their right mind would sign a multi year contract with us b/c they would be fired as soon as new ownership or a new GM is brought in next year. Knight may not even have the authority to sign coaches for contracts longer then his own. Who would come here as an assistant coach on a one year contract ? The answer is not a good one.

General Manager's often have to make unpopular decisions that may even seem slightly unethical b/c it is in the best interest of their business. (Welcome to the real World)

Well, BK is doing this in the best interest of the Atlanta Hawks franchise. If he were to alow these guys to leave their replacements would not be true NBA quality and all the replacements could be offered are, in essence, one year contracts.

The entire franchise is paralyzed by this ownership fiasco. BK's decision may seem bad to some at first glance but as a business man, I see it as a true business decision that is in the best interest of the franchise.

I feel bad for Coach Drew for not being able to move closer to his family, BUT business is business.. and when the courts get involved and people only have one year of job security.........things get nasty in the office. It sucks but is the truth.

That is a load od BS and you know it.

They made the decision to allow the assistants to interview for other jobs which can only mean that they made the decision to allow them to leave - only to change their mind later on.

Plus, it is the captain that goes down with the ship, not the crew. If the assistants are lucky enough to go to a ship that is not taking on water then they should be given that opportunity.

You are potentially damaging their career opportunities by forcing them to stay an additional year with almost zero chance of being signed to a new contract in the end.

• Moderators

I agree with coachx on this. Whether it is the right thing to do or not is a totally separate issue from why they reversed and told these guys they would have to be in Atlanta this year. I don't think this happens if the ownership situation is resolved.

I also think the problems with recruiting front office talent due to the ownership uncertainty contributes heavily to the job security of Woody and BK.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

They made the decision to allow the assistants to interview for other jobs which can only mean that they made the decision to allow them to leave - only to change their mind later on.

Bingo, we have a winner.

Everyone attempting to defend this situation seems to always miss that point and that is really the only point that matters in this situation. To talk to other teams, the assistants needed permission from the Hawks. We gave it to them and they were obviously under the impression that they could sign somewhere else (hence Drew accepting an offer) to only have their hopes crushed by the FO of the Hawks.

The only thing about this "fiasco" (it really isn't that big of a situation, only Hawks nation and maybe the Kings/Cavs know about this) that we have left to figure out is who is at fault? The only way I see it is BK or the Spirit. Either BK didn't ask the Spirit or the Spirit changed their decision.

Fault and motivation are two entirely different issues.

I think it is entirely consistent to say that the decision was made because of the ownership issues AND that BK or team management is at fault for allowing these guys to interview and then reversing their position.

• Premium Member

This is partly correct. The assistants were given permission to interview because in the convulted hiring process of pro sports coaches, esp. head coaches, teams take into consideration how many times you were interviewed by other teams. BK allowing them to interview is normal procedure regardless of rather or not we would allow them to leave.

The reality of the situation is that no coach or GM is banging at the door to join Atlanta until the ownership situation is resolved. Knight is holding onto those two because they are already under contract. He probably could not hire better assistants or offer them any kind of real security. So those two are stuck in Atlanta. This is a cruel byproduct of the ownership fiasco.

Quote:

Quote:

they were obviously under the impression that they could sign somewhere else

We don't know Drew and Fiz were told they could sign somewhere else. All we know is they were granted permission to talk to other teams.

That is True.

As far as BK, its business not personal. Some of these guys on this board are to emotional.

It is so obvious the decision was from ownership. Still, some keep saying BK this BK that.

The Hate/fire BK agenda have misplaced their bile again. the blame and reason is not on BK.

And Shame on Fiz and Drew for walking on Woody as they gave them their opportunities.

I expect next that BK gets the nod too replace them. I say replace them, two will step up.

Quote:

Well they clearly got that impression and it is BK's job to make sure they know. If BK didn't want them to leave, then he would have told them not to take the job. Obviously, he didn't tell them that because they took the job.

This IS BK we're talkin 'bout. Ya never know. Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Quote:

Well they clearly got that impression and it is BK's job to make sure they know. If BK didn't want them to leave, then he would have told them not to take the job. Obviously, he didn't tell them that because they took the job.

You really don't know that. Unless you have talked to Fiz and/or Drew.

It is more complicated than simple.

This ain't checkers.

Quote:

Quote:

You really don't know that. Unless you have talked to Fiz and/or Drew.

It is more complicated than simple.

This ain't checkers.

So... They took the job even though they knew they wouldn't be allowed to leave? Umm... Okay.

I re-read BK comments and it seems like they were giving permission to talk to other teams if it meant a promotion and would have been granted their wish to leave but if it was a lateral move to another team then the offer would be refused.

Quote:

Quote:

So... They took the job even though they knew they wouldn't be allowed to leave? Umm... Okay.

Hahaha, some people are a little too delusional on this right now.

You are making assumptions it seems.

I don't know all the facts. I have not talked to Fiz, Drew, BK or Sekou.

Maybe you have and have the information. Have you? Or are you reacting to what has been reported.

If you believe the reports are in full and/or your conclusions are correct, you are indeed "delusional". Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

It was clearly the right decision to make for the franchise and I would guess that the vast majority of corporate execs have had to make a similar decision in their careers. There is no doubt that the ownership nonsense is at the heart of the issue. But with the leadership now operating with a sense of urgency, it was the only logical decision to make.

I don't care how professional you are or how much of an adult you are. At some point the immaturity in you will show. I just don't see a grown man, being told what he can not do when he wants to do it, can come in and give you 110%. Thus the disgruntled employee affect. If these are vital pieces to your puzzle then why would you want them in your organization half azzing around? We had bad enough a coaching situation in Atlanta now they don't even want to be here and are being held against their will.........Some how playoff contender just does not seem to get me all goosie right now.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that Drew and Fitz were signed to multi-year contracts. Most assistants (both at the college and pro levels) operate on one-year deals.

I realize that this is a binding contract, but allowing them to interview then slamming the door is a bad practice. It obviously screams that we know we couldn't get any decent assistant to come in to this mess. Also provides insight into why BK and Woody still have jobs, if that wasn't clear already.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't care how professional you are or how much of an adult you are. At some point the immaturity in you will show. I just don't see a grown man, being told what he can not do when he wants to do it, can come in and give you 110%. Thus the disgruntled employee affect. If these are vital pieces to your puzzle then why would you want them in your organization half azzing around? We had bad enough a coaching situation in Atlanta now they don't even want to be here and are being held against their will.........Some how playoff contender just does not seem to get me all goosie right now.

Agreed, and a few others did voice basically the same opinion in the other thread just not as in-depth as you. There are no positives in this situation that I can see, but some want to spin this. Why? I don't know.

There is no spin.

The positive for the franchise it it can have a full coaching roster oif NBA quality coaches. This is the ONLY way the Atlanta franchise could achieve this.

If the assistants left, only trash would come here for a one year contract. Any contract over 1 year would be fools gold.

No other franchise in the NBA has ever had to deal with what this franchise is going through now. The employees / coaches will realize this once their emotions settle. Giving 100% effort and full filling their contract will be recognized by "business minds" around the league and THEY WILL Get REWARDED for it down the road whether it is through the Hawks franchise or another franchise.

The concept is so simple I don't understand why it is hard for some to grasp.

No harm in allowing them to network with other franchises. No doubt, they should have been clearly informed that it would serve essentially as an "informational" interview. I know that in the NFL, coaches are not allowed to leave for lateral moves.

And if these guys are "immature and unprofessional" and sit up there and pout while spending their last year as two of less than 200 NBA assistants, then it may impact their ability to land a job in the future. If these guys can't handle the adversity of maintaining a paycheck after working on a staff that has a historically horrendous record, then they need to put on some Underoos and sit in the corner of their parents' basement.

Yeah, I agree.

Honestly, I don't think it's THAT big a deal. BK actually is known to be a pretty nice guy to the people who work with him. I'm sure he told both guys that they probably would not be allowed to leave but that they should interview anyways (for their future).

And I'm sure both understand where he is coming from with the ownership situation and all.

They probably blame Belkin more than anyone else.