• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Darko to the Grizz

Guest Riv

Darko will actually help their defense quite a bit, despite a lot of what you're saying being true. They had NO ONE there last year, filling the position by platoon (and this is once Pau was back).

The biggest X-Factors in Memphis are:

1) Ivaroni's affect on the style of play (more suited towards younger players...and those not named STromile) and the ability of teams to adapt (there's a reason they're so young)

2) the Lowry vs. Conley debate. Most may think that Jr. is going to be handed the keys...but honestly, it's much murkier here in the midsouth. Lowry was LOVED by the fans last year (in the 10 games he played before he went down) and they've got a new coach who has no preferences or allegiances...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree with SMTF and Walter. Memphis has a better team than us.

They got 2 young pg's in Lowry and Conley.

A true center in Darko.

A true Pf in Gasol.

A true Sf in Gay.

and Mike Miller who is strictly a Sg.

Their lineup is pretty much set for many years.

Their only weakness is their bench. Two players come to mind. (Warrick and Lowry)

AND LOOK AT US:

We don't really have a true pg except Speedy maybe, but he is never healthy.

a true SG in Joe

A true SF in Marvin

Smoove is a tweener SF/PF (Al Horford is a true PF, but he will play C most of the time).

Zaza is a true center, but not a good one.

Quote:

Or you have pessimistic people who think every other team is All-NBA and we have no talent even though any outsider will tell you we are one of the most talented young teams in the league

Acie Law = Mike Conley Jr

Joe Johnson > Mike Miller

Marvin Williams = Rudy Gay

Josh Smith > Darko Milic

Al Horford

Hawks Bench > Grizzlies Bench

This is more accurate....

Conley > Acie Law (keep in mind Conley was the number one rated PG coming out...Law was number 2)

Miller

Josh Smith

Horford

Griz bench > hawks bench (I'll take lowry, warrick, and stromile swift over speedy, shelden, and zaza).

Griz will be battling for an 8th seed this year in a VERY difficult west. I'll take that team over our team anyday.

Quote:

Griz bench > hawks bench (I'll take lowry, warrick, and stromile swift over speedy, shelden, and zaza).

You will take unproven Lowry, Warrick and Swift over Chill, Shelden, Speedy and Lue??

T-Lue - 11.4 and 3.6 assist

Chill - 13.0 and 6.2 reb

Shell - 5.5 and 5.5

Speedy alone should be much better than Lowry if healthy.

Lowry - 5 and 3 assist

Warick - 12 and 5reb- he was a starter last year

Swift - 7 and 4 reb

I hope you were kidding! banghead.gif

Quote:

um, hate to burst your bubble here (as well as many others who don't seem to be quite 'up on the Grizzles)...

they're in year two of rebuilding. Remember those 3-4 straight playoff appearences with Pau as their anchor? Rebuilding started last year (by West), when he traded Battier to Houston, getting the pick that was Gay in return (and boy did the team and community miss Battier this year, seriously, you have no idea).

Living in Memphis and having gone to quite a few games last year...it's obvious that most Hawks fans know not of the demeanor or status of the Memphis team or its fanbase...

You are not busting my bubble. I know you made the playoffs. You were one and done as I remember each time as well.

The reason I never considered your team a finished product is if I remember correctly your only set starters were Gasol and White Chocolate. Battier, Miller, another forward I cannot remember; plus a shooting guard or two you picked up. Just seemed that every week Fratello was inserting a different starting lineup.

No consistent starting lineup is what I remember the most about your team, other than Gasol and White Chocolate. I guess having White Chocolate and Gasol as consistent starters for four years and making the playoffs made you a completely built team. I just did not see it that way.

I do know a lot of built teams play a two or three headed monster at a position but usually its only one position. Maybe I am completely wrong and you had a starting four or five for a few years and I just do not remember it that way... Would not be the first time I was wrong.

• Moderators

Quote:

Have to disagree with you on this.

Childress > Warrick

Zaza > Swift

Shelden > Memphis bench filler

Speedy/Lue = Lowry

Salim = Damon

I definitely go with the Hawks bench.

Quote:

Quote:

You will take unproven Lowry, Warrick and Swift over Chill, Shelden, Speedy and Lue??

T-Lue - 11.4 and 3.6 assist

Chill - 13.0 and 6.2 reb

Shell - 5.5 and 5.5

Speedy alone should be much better than Lowry if healthy.

Lowry - 5 and 3 assist

Warick - 12 and 5reb- he was a starter last year

Swift - 7 and 4 reb

I hope you were kidding! banghead.gif

Speedy and Lue are both backup pgs...they've been backup pgs their whole career..only in ATL would these two start...they are both on the decline while Lowry career is on the rise...Speedy is nothing more than a backup pg, so that's why I would take Lowry over him. Speedy is not MUCH better than Lowry...Nash and Paul are, but not speedy. Warrick is better than Zaza right now...Swift is better than Sheldon. Chillz is the X-Factor...I mean there is a chance that the Hawks bench is better, but who cares? Look at the Griz starting five...it's better than the Hawks...it's kind of pitiful too...they've only been rebuilding for like two years while we've been rebuilding for 10 and they already have a better starting lineup than we do.

Quote:

Conley > Acie Law (keep in mind Conley was the number one rated PG coming out...Law was number 2)

Miller

Josh Smith

Horford

Griz will be battling for an 8th seed this year in a VERY difficult west. I'll take that team over our team anyday.

You are one crazy troll

Darko greater than Horford?

Darko isn't even better than Shelden right now.

And you have to be be MFin kidding me taking the Grizzlies bench because of Lowry, Warrick, and Swift.

Speedy and Lue are both better than him. Warrick and Swift are both less than Zaza and Shelden. Hell Solomon Jones could be as good as those two.

Oh and Josh Smith would abuse Gasol off the dribble.

Quote:

Miller

Josh Smith

Horford

Lmao at Darko being better than Horford. That 8 and 5 he put up was HUGE rolleyes.gif. Law was also known as being much more NBA ready than Conley. This is simply a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

One thing everyone is forgetting is defense. Smith and Horford >>>>> Gasol/Darko defensively. Miller is absolutely atrocious.

For example, the Suns are arguably more talented than the Spurs, but the Spurs are so much better defensively.

Quote:

Miller

Josh Smith

Horford

You are one crazy troll

Darko greater than Horford?

Darko isn't even better than Shelden right now.

And you have to be be MFin kidding me taking the Grizzlies bench because of Lowry, Warrick, and Swift.

Speedy and Lue are both better than him. Warrick and Swift are both less than Zaza and Shelden. Hell Solomon Jones could be as good as those two.

Oh and Josh Smith would abuse Gasol off the dribble.

Let's see..Horford has NEVER played an NBA game, yet you are oh so confident into believing that he's already better than Milicic who averaged 12 points in the playoffs and just got a 3 year 21 million contract from the Griz...really what are you smoking on...it's nice to be a homer, heck I'm a lifetime Hawks fan, but be reasonable...he got a big contract for a reason...dude's not a stiff anymore, he's taller than anyone on our rostor right now....

LOL at the thought of Solomon being better than Warrick...Warrick dominated at Syracuse...plus he had a solid year last year in his third year...

The Hawks bench might be better than the Griz's but it's not by much...the Griz's starting five is WAY more balanced than ours...they have a true pg, a true C, a true shooter, two 7'0"'s, and a multidimensional swingman in Rudy Gay. We have a combo guard who doesn't play point, a PF who's trying to play C (Horford), an undersized C who should play PF (Williams), a PF who came into the league as a SF (JSmith), and a SF who's listed as a PF (Williams). In the East, they would be a 4 or 5 seed...in the West, they'll struggle to make the playoffs.

Quote:

Lmao at Darko being better than Horford. That 8 and 5 he put up was HUGE
rolleyes.gif
. Law was also known as being much more NBA ready than Conley. This is simply a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

One thing everyone is forgetting is defense. Smith and Horford >>>>> Gasol/Darko defensively. Miller is absolutely atrocious.

For example, the Suns are arguably more talented than the Spurs, but the Spurs are so much better defensively.

I hate to break it to you...Darko is better than Horford right now...you're in for a rude awakening this fall...Horford might eventually surpass him but you're crazy if you think that a rookie who was solid at FL will be better than a guy who's been in the league for 4 years...and Conley was the number one PG coming out, Law was number 2. I dont know why that concept is so hard for everyone to figure out. Conley > Law.

95% of the gms in the league would rather have Gasol/Darko (two 7'0"'s) over Smith/Horford...the 5% accounts for Billy Knight.

Quote:

Quote:

...dude's not a stiff anymore, he's taller than anyone on our rostor right now....

HAHA, A brilliant example on how to prove that a player is not a stiff.

banghead.gif

I know...the guy I was arguing with uses height and wingspan to prove why one guy is a better C than another...i had to use it against him one time...:)

I'm not sure that Darko will be better than Shelden this year let alone Horford. Darko is like Kwame Brown in that he has all the measureables and he looks great in a uniform. The problem is that he can't put all that raw talent together enough to consistently become a good basketball player. Horford is so much better already it's not even close.

As for Conley, Jr. v. Law, I think Conley has more upside but TODAY, I'd take Law. Rodney Stuckey KILLED Conley, Jr. head to head a few days ago and I suspect that Law would do the same.

By the way, 95% of GM's would rather have Horford/Gasol than Darko/Gasol because Horford is CLEARLY better. Smith is not as good as Gasol yet so adding Smith to the equation does not accurately portray who is better between Horford and Darko.

LOL Darko is already better then Shelden Williams hands down. Shelden is already 24 years old Darko is what 22? He is 7 foot compared to Sheldens 6'7-6'8. He can also play center and forward and he has low post moves. He is atheltic as hell something SHelden is not and the best thing is he blocks shots nearly 2 game in a game in limited minutes. I guarntee you anything that Darko has a big year that was a great signing by the Grizzles only 3 years and little money. SHelden is not better then Darko not even close he does nothing but rebound he is a role player who we took in the top 5 that is it nothing more.

Quote:

LOL Darko is already better then Shelden Williams hands down. Shelden is already 24 years old Darko is what 22? He is 7 foot compared to Sheldens 6'7-6'8. He can also play center and forward and he has low post moves. He is atheltic as hell something SHelden is not and the best thing is he blocks shots nearly 2 game in a game in limited minutes. I guarntee you anything that Darko has a big year given he plays close to 30 minutes he should avg 10-14 pts 8-9 rebounds and 2 + blocks. That was a great signing by the Grizzles only 3 years and little money. SHelden is not better then Darko not even close he does nothing but rebound he is a role player who we took in the top 5 that is it nothing more.

Quote:

I hate to break it to you...Darko is better than Horford right now...

you're in for a rude awakening this fall...Horford might eventually surpass him but you're crazy if you think that a rookie who was solid at FL will be better than a guy who's been in the league for 4 years...

Great argument. That's like saying Hoffa is better than Greg Oden because he's played longer. The truth is Darko had a career year last year and averaged 8 and 5. Darko is a horrible soft non defensive post player who has proved nothing. There is no GM in the league who would take Darko over Horford, even right now.

Quote:

Conley was the number one PG coming out, Law was number 2. I dont know why that concept is so hard for everyone to figure out. Conley > Law.

And Law was considered the most NBA ready. I would rather have Conley as well, but I'd rather have Horford/Law rather than Conley/Thornton.

Quote:

95% of the gms in the league would rather have Gasol/Darko (two 7'0"'s) over Smith/Horford...the 5% accounts for Billy Knight.

Only because of Gasol, not because of Darko. Out of Smith/Horford/Gasol/Darko, the LAST player picked out of the 4 would be Darko. Memphis is clearly better than us at one position, PF, and they are MUCH worse defensively all the way around.

I guess you're trying to make a name for yourself on this board by being Walter #2 or something, but I suggest you pick up a ball and learn something about the game first.

The grass is always greener on the other side.