• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Darko to the Grizz

Guest Riv

Quote:

Great argument. That's like saying Hoffa is better than Greg Oden because he's played longer. The truth is Darko had a career year last year and averaged 8 and 5. Darko is a horrible soft non defensive post player who has proved nothing. There is no GM in the league who would take Darko over Horford, even right now.

So you're saying a Darko at 22 already had his "career" year...Jermaine Oneal in 2000 at the age of 22 averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds...so what that was his "career" year too..post men have the hardest time adjusting in the NBA...the last big men (that I can remember) to make an impact their rookie years were Shaq and Tim Duncan...Horford will be a rookie so I see him with similar numbers as Darko from last season (8 ppts, 5 rebs)...he'll come on by the end of the season...if you watched Darko in the playoffs, you would have seen that he finally showed glimpses of being a solid NBA big man, and that's why we he got such a big contract...because Horford is a rookie adjusting in the NBA and Darko's been in the league for a few years...Darko>Horford (right now).

Quote:

And Law was considered the most NBA ready. I would rather have Conley as well, but I'd rather have Horford/Law rather than Conley/Thornton.

I'm not comparing Horford/Law to Conley/Thornton...I was comparing Conley and Law...i agree with you...I would rather have Horford/Law...if we could have picked up another big in free agency (like Maglore)...then I would have loved to have Conley/Thronton

Quote:

Only because of Gasol, not because of Darko. Out of Smith/Horford/Gasol/Darko, the LAST player picked out of the 4 would be Darko. Memphis is clearly better than us at one position, PF, and they are MUCH worse defensively all the way around.

Gasol, Smith, Darko, and Horford is the order, IMO...a large reason is because Horford's a rookie. Personally, I think they have a much more balanced starting 5 than we do...a true pg, two big men, a guy who can shoot and stretch the D, and a versitile SF. Our starting 5 consists of players who aren't playing their natural position (only JJ is a true sg)

Quote:

I guess you're trying to make a name for yourself on this board by being Walter #2 or something, but I suggest you pick up a ball and learn something about the game first.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Actually, no I'm not. I'm trying to add reason to an argument. I just hate when people make completely biased and off the wall posts. I mean it's ok to be a homer, but at least be realistic. As far as the bball skills...I went to Duke...wasnt good enough to walk on the team...I did play IM ball and we went made to the finals...

When you're a hawks fan, the grass is always greener on the other side.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

So you're saying a Darko at 22 already had his "career" year

Yes, at this point in his career, 06-07 was the best season he's ever had and he put up 8 and 5. I'm not saying he will never get better, but that's not impressive at all.

Quote:

...Jermaine Oneal in 2000 at the age of 22 averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds...so what that was his "career" year too..

So you're using the Jermaine case to support your argument? Wow, that type of thing happens like once in every 10 years.

Quote:

post men have the hardest time adjusting in the NBA...the last big men (that I can remember) to make an impact their rookie years were Shaq and Tim Duncan...

Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, Emeka Okafor, Amare, Bosh, Gasol, Boozer etc. all broke out WELL before their 5th season. Should I keep going? It's extremely rare that someone takes 5 seasons.

Quote:

Gasol, Smith, Darko, and Horford is the order, IMO...a large reason is because Horford's a rookie.

You're all alone on that one. There isn't a GM in the league who would take Darko over Horford.

Quote:

Our starting 5 consists of players who aren't playing their natural position (only JJ is a true sg)

Law has played PG his entire career. How is Marvin not a true SF? Smith had the best season of his career at PF.

The only one that's even arguable is Horford.

Quote:

Actually, no I'm not. I'm trying to add reason to an argument. I just hate when people make completely biased and off the wall posts. I mean it's ok to be a homer, but at least be realistic. As far as the bball skills...I went to Duke...wasnt good enough to walk on the team...I did play IM ball and we went made to the finals...

I'm not a homer and I am realistic. But if you think the worst team in the league who added a 19 year old PG and an 8 and 5 player is better than us, you are delusional.

Before you say Gasol missed over 20 games, realize how many games our key players missed.

Pau Gasol is a good shotblocker too but he is not a great defender.

Shelden is a better rebounder, positional defender and free throw shooter than Darko for sure. Shelden also played better the last month of the season than Darko has EVER played in his career. Seeing as how Darko has been in the NBA for four full seasons versus Shelden's one, I think the fact that Shelden is a couple of years older is not that big of a deal. At any rate, I think Shelden will average more pts and rebounds in his 2nd season than Darko did in his fourth season and it won't surprise me if Shelden's numbers are very close to Darko's even though Darko will likely start and Shelden will likely come off the bench.

All that said, I hope Darko does well. He has had it really tough because all the players drafted around him have become superstars while he has struggled. I honestly think that he has more natural ability than Shelden, I just question whether or not he has the basketball IQ or the desire that Shelden does. Time will tell.

I think both teams are young and on the rise but I think our young players are closer to "getting it" than yours are. I also think we are a lot deeper.

Josh Smith and Josh Childress are going into their 4th years in the league and I think both are going to turn the corner from being "young players with potential" to "young players who are good players."

Marvin is going into his 3rd season and I think he will take that next step and become a consistent contributor.

I think Shelden is going to surprise a lot of people in his 2nd year and be a solid player as well.

I think both of our rookies are going to be steady contributors from day one and I think your rookie is going to need a year or so to mature before he contributes a lot.

Bottom line, I think you guys are at least a year away from being a playoff team in the stacked West and I think we have a legitimate shot to be a playoff team THIS season.

I don't really care if they are true position players or not. Memphis front court is not better at this time than Atlanta's front court. The biggest reason is that Atlanta's front court will have an impact on both ends, whereas Memphis's front court will be a very poor defensive one.

Everyone acts like Darko Milicic is a great player. This guy had worse numbers than Shelden Williams last season, yet most of you on here will bash Shelden Williams and in the same sentence praise Darko Milicic, a career 5 PPG/3 RPG player despite the fact that he had a golden opportunity to become the Orlando Magic's starting center. Guess what? Darko was so underwhelming, that Orlando decided to go with their hybrid power forward/center in Dwight Howard at the five position a majority of the time.

This is not a major signing for the Grizzlies. It is a very poor personnel decision by their front office.

I can't believe he used Darko's contract as a reason why he's better than Horford. Lol.

I think if we offered Al Horford for Darko Milicic they would take that deal in a second.

Darko is a BUM.

And as far as that Grizzlie fan saying we aren't going to be good defensively, we'll dang sure be better than a team with Darko and Mike Miller playing defense.

Guest Walter

Quote:

By the way, 95% of GM's would rather have Horford/Gasol than Darko/Gasol because Horford is CLEARLY better.

But it is not because Horford is better than Darko, it's because he would appear to be a better compliment to Gasol. I really like the idea of Horford with a "4.5". Darko's 22 now, remember.

W

Quote:

I can't believe he used Darko's contract as a reason why he's better than Horford. Lol.

I think if we offered Al Horford for Darko Milicic they would take that deal in a second.

Darko is a BUM.

And as far as that Grizzlie fan saying we aren't going to be good defensively, we'll dang sure be better than a team with Darko and Mike Miller playing defense.

Really?

Which Hawk has ever been on a good NBA defensive team? However, you ADD two rookies to the rotation and you will all of sudden be a good defensive team? Stop dreaming.