Hollinger on 680 the Fan this morning

coachx

He was on the "Breakfast With Bernie" segment on the "Rude Awakening." They even discussed the fact that they liked the way Rathbun was dressed and referred to him dressing like a "TV guy." Besides, both Rathbun and Holman have VERY distinctive voices. I'd know Rathbun's voice anywhere.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I really feel like Law might be THE most important piece to whether we make the playoffs or not this year.

Him and MW will determine that, IMO.

I agree.

I keep saying Marvin is the X-factor but we need a legit PG in the worst way.

Law is going to show you guys that I wasn't being a homer, I was being REALISTIC when I said this was our best draft ever.

Quote:

Steve Holman, he has been the Hawks Radio guy for like 17 years. Rathbun started doing the Hawks around 2003 I believe, plus he isn't a good announcer at all so I wouldn't put any stock into what he says. I would listen to Holman though, he is much better than Rathbun.

Of course you don't put any stock into what he says because how dare he say something positive about the Hawks?

We're supposed to have a doom and gloom theme around here wallowing around in our own self-pity right?

BTW, Bob Rathbun has been calling games a HELLUVA lot longer than 2003.

He was calling games next to MIKE GLENN

• Premium Member

Yeah, I'm as High on Law too. It's good that he embraces the leadership role and I hope that when all the vets come back, there's no friction between him and others.

I think out of respect, Speedy will start off the year at PG starting but if Law does what I hope he can, Speedy will be coming off the bench by Dec.

Quote:

Yes, I hate the Hawks. You really are a douche. I don't put stock into what Rathbun says because he is a dope. He is horrible with the Hawks, ACC b-ball, and especially the Braves. He is a play-by-play with little knowledge about the game. Steve was correcting him all the time this year and it was hillarious.

Not trying to be a "douche" but I just like Rathbun.

I think he's out of his element when he's NOT doing the Hawks especially the Braves.

He knows what he's talking about with the Hawks and I like the exciting calls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKi6_H9iQo0

• Premium Member

Quote:

Video Jeopardy...

This guy should be famous in Hawks History...

Who is he and what was his famous catch phrase for a Hawks' Star?

staff-2003-versace_dick.jpg

Wow... that's not the same d*ck Versace that I knew.

Quote:

Steve was correcting him all the time this year and it was hillarious.

LOL I thought I was the only one who noticed this. There were many instances where Steve "let it slide" as well, Rathbun messed up ALL the time. I like Rathbun and his enthusiasm, but he's not a basketball analyst at all.

I remember seeing him announcing a Hawks game, then flipping the channel hours later and see him announcing a college game or something.

Awesome news - I love hearing this about Law.

This is the part of his being the most "NBA" ready "PG" that really brings serious value to his NBA team. If he can come in and earn the respect of the rest of the team and (most importantly) BACK IT UP with practicing what he's preaching and playing without too many mistakes right off the bat, then my whole perspective on the Conley and Law debate would change a great deal. It's not fair to assume that this scenario is impossible for Conley to duplicate, but I would be more surprised to find out that he's taking vocal charge of the Grizz from day 1 than I would be to hear the same about Law.

I hope his game matches his attitude.

Quote:

I like Law a lot, but keep in mind that it's pretty unusual for any rookie to be an above average NBA player their 1st year. Law is very NBA-ready so I expect him to be good for a rookie, but I wouldn't expect him to be a top 15 PG in the NBA or anything.

I don't expect him to be in the top 15. I'll be satisfied if we at least have SOMEONE who can step into the role and grow into it. Not more has beens that we've been trying to make work.

If Speedy and Law go against each other, Craig will have his hands full given Law's size.

Quote:

If Speedy and Law go against each other, Craig will have his hands full given Law's size.

One thing that will help Law adjust to the NBA is that he will be going up against one of the toughest defenders in the league every day in practice. Since Law is going to be trying to take the starting job you can bet that Speedy will he on him like white on rice.

Quote:

Quote:

One thing that will help Law adjust to the NBA is that he will be going up against one of the toughest defenders in the league every day in practice. Since Law is going to be trying to take the starting job you can bet that Speedy will he on him like white on rice.

Excellent point.

These guys are going to compete big time. Chicago Bull like effort I hope.