• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Salim - Our only backup SG?

thesheedera

Childress - SF being bent into a SG because our roster's unbalanced.

Salim - we tried him, at PG and he simply isn't one, even in a backcourt with a playmaking offguard like Johnson.

Salim's first and only instinct is to get the ball and score. I think his deep shooting percentage has probably suffered to some degree because of the PG experiment we've tried with him. It's not a natural mindset for him and it just doesn't work.

We now have a full stable of PGs - none of which are legit starting NBA PGs of course - but its pretty well balanced with youth and experience, offense and defense. Speedy and Lue (and maybe AJ) are really good options to have around while you groom the young guy for the spot. It will take a couple years to determine if Law really is that guy, but we have to stick with that course of action until proven wrong.

Salim is really our only SG on the roster other than JJ. I think he could blossom in the role if he can switch back to the killer scoring mindset that is most natural to him. He's short, but he can handle the role in backup minutes. I don't want to ever see him bringing the ball up the court again, I want him running off screens looking for openings and attacking the defense off the dribble. He's a SG, he'll always be a SG, hopefully we can actually let him play his position this season.

I personaly don't like to pigeon hold any player into just one position (especially at the wing positions.)

Players have played multiple positions for decades. Now is no different.

I do agee Chils is best at sf but he is the 2nd best SG on our roster hands down.

What is the definition of a SG?

I think there is no real definition...

Bruce Bowen is techinically the SG for the Spurs...However, he's certainly not the 1st option on offense...2nd, 3rd or 4th either for that matter.

JJ, Marvin, Chillz, Salim and to a certain extent even AJ are wing players..they all have different strengths and weakeness...JJ is the most well rounded...Chillz is probably the best defender...Salim is probably the best shooter.

Marvin hs the ability to move to the front court because of his size...but, he's a wing player on this team.

chill is our backup sg

and he is just as good/better at sg as at sf:

when chill is a SG:

last season:

his per goes up from 16.8 to 18.2

his opp's per goes down from 14.7 to 14.3

so the +/- goes up from 2.2 to 3.9

season prior:

his per goes up from 16.1 to 17.9

but his opp's went up from 17.3 to 19.1

so the +/- was exactly the same at -1.2

I think Chillz is at his very best when he plays down near around the basket and uses his cutting ability and ability to get garbage points more than anything else...

I don't think he plays very well on the perimeter...He can't create his own shot at all, and a SG should be able to do that...His shot mechanics simply won't allow him to ever be one who can create his own jump shots...That doesn't mean he can't be an important player for us though.

And, thankfully, if left open, he can hit the open jumper.

The problem is that Childress doesn't consistently create his own offense. The team needs another guy that can play along with Chills that can get his own shot. When JJ, Smoove and Marvin need a rest or are out due to injury, we have to have one more guy that can slash into the lane. Childress just doesn't do that enough. Can he do it? It sure seems like he could, but he's too much of a team player, I guess.

The point is, [bold]Salim][/bold] takes up a roster spot that we'd be better severed by having one more wing that can drive to the basket and is above 6'4" in height. I don't want to see that mini-me backcourt any more (Salim + Lue/AJ).

Quote:

I think Chillz is at his very best when he plays down near around the basket and uses his cutting ability and ability to get garbage points more than anything else...

I don't think he plays very well on the perimeter...He can't create his own shot at all, and a SG should be able to do that...His shot mechanics simply won't allow him to ever be one who can create his own jump shots...That doesn't mean he can't be an important player for us though.

And, thankfully, if left open, he can hit the open jumper.

nothing says the sg can't cut to the basket...and he does just that on offense

on defense, he's our best perimeter defender, and handles sgs just fine

When Childress is in at "SG" I think he's a "SG" by name only. He's a "SG" because there's already a PG and SF on the floor. But his game is all forward to me no matter who else is on the floor. He spends time on the perimeter, but he's most effective closer to the basket.

I like him because he's effective no matter who else is playing with him, but I just can't think of him as a guard. Marvin is more of a guard than Josh is.

Salim (and eventually maybe Law) is the only guy other than JJ who is a legit shooting guard, two guard, scoring guard, whatever you want to call it. He's short, but there's no doubt that SG is his position. I think we need to let him have some run with a PG on the floor next to him to see what kind of player he can be at his natural position.

in respect to you are attempting to place a logical assumption onto a Woody/BK controlled situation.

Salim getting open off picks for 3s makes sense. Salim standing around on the perimeter watching Joe dribble the ball around does not.

I can only hope the players are smart enough to be extremely frustrated with the situation.

Quote:

chill is our backup sg

and he is just as good/better at sg as at sf:

when chill is a SG:

last season:

his per goes up from 16.8 to 18.2

his opp's per goes down from 14.7 to 14.3

so the +/- goes up from 2.2 to 3.9

season prior:

his per goes up from 16.1 to 17.9

but his opp's went up from 17.3 to 19.1

so the +/- was exactly the same at -1.2

well i think his scoring goes up because Joe is not there to do the scoring so the rest have to step up the scoring.

Agreed, Salim could be really effective coming off screens a la a Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton. We should be running that all day when he's on the court. I have no idea why we give him the ball and expect him to be effective off the dribble. He's not fast, tall, or athletic enough to create his own shot in the NBA. But he sure can shoot the open jumper.

What do you mean no offensive system? We love to run the pick and roll, even though none of our guards can pass off the screen and none of our big men can shoot off the roll.

Oh, you meant an EFFECTIVE offensive system. Yeah, we don't have one of those.