• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Chinese Team Will Block Yi Going to Bucks

AHF

• Moderators

According to ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2939260

The Milwaukee Bucks' campaign to secure the services of reluctant power forward Yi Jianlian has suffered a blow after the player's Chinese club said it would block his move to the United States.

Yi, taken by Milwaukee with the sixth selection in the NBA draft last month, would "definitely not" play for Milwaukee, Tuesday's Beijing News quoted Guangdong Tigers chief, Chen Haitao, as saying.

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added.

Earlier in July, Yi's Chinese agent said the unsigned player was looking to be traded to another club, despite pledges by Milwaukee officials to do whatever they could to make him feel at home.

Chen expressed concern that Yi would have trouble getting playing time with the Bucks, whose squad boasts Australian 7-footer Andrew Bogut and a number of other tall young players.

"The national team and the Olympic Games are now our key considerations ... If [Yi] goes to a team where he can't compete, that would be being irresponsible to the national team," Chen said.

Milwaukee has too many forwards for China but Atlanta didn't? Huh??

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes you thankful to be a part of this great country when the craziness in other countries is brought to one's attention.

God......continue to bless America ! I'm definately proud to be a part of the USA !

The Bucks are in the worst possible situation. The cat is out of the bag. There is a fire sale on Yi. They have to get something for a #6 draft pick.

China's government just just screwed the Bucks big time. What part of Democracy and free enterprise do they not get ? Oh ya, they don't get any of it. Their government controls everything. With a country who's population is roughly 1/3 of the worlds population I don't see how that many people put up where the government's crap.

After his poor summer I doubt their will be a bidding war over Yi.

Man Brewer looks real good as a Buck right now. Man, they blew it big time !

Way to improve China's awful image in America !

Quote:

"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

What a bunch of BS. Why not just be honest about it, and admit that's EXACTLY why they don't want him playing in Milwaukee? I mean that's what they've been saying from the start, and now all of a sudden they're fishing around for other reasons?

Well that's fine. Let him go back to China. No great loss, far as I'm concerned. I feel kind of badly for the Bucks, but then again they knew going in that his people didn't want him playing there- so they pretty much brought this situation upon themselves.

Quote:

Quote:

Bastard commies.

Because they're different, they're bastards?

Come on , this is message board. No need in being "politically correct" in your speech. I respect the people who "tell it like it is."

Of course this does not means the Chineese are bastards. It how they are different people have issues with, not just the fact they are different. Every body is different. Such a general statement to a complex issue does not fly.

The poor judgment and recklessness of Larry Harris is amazing. I am just a lowly fan, but I foresaw the potential of this situation happening, just like lots of other fans. A player who is already under contract in another country cannot be treated the same as a kid coming out of a U.S. college. Would Babcock pulled something this dumb?

• Moderators

Quote:

Bucks director of player personnel Dave Babcock has watched Yi play in the Chinese Basketball Association and said the caliber of play in the league has improved.

"They have good big men, and they get their share of Americans over there," Babcock said. "And he's played a lot of international competition against high-level players."

Babcock said he watched Yi for the first time at a Nike camp in Indianapolis about five years ago. And what was his first impression?

"Long and skilled," Babcock said.

Babcock is one who has compared Yi to Kukoc, the former Bucks player and talented sixth man on three Chicago Bulls championship teams.

"You don't realize when you're watching Toni play that he's 7 feet," Babcock said. "Then you get down on the floor and you're like, 'Wow, this guy is 7 feet, and he does the things he can do.'

"He (Yi) can put it on the floor and pass it. They're not exactly the same. I think Toni might be a little more creative with the ball. But this kid can really pass it, and he may end up being a better shooter overall."

This is Dave Babock? Bucks director of player personnel.

I believe them that it has not as much to do with the few Chinese people in Milwaukee and a lot to do with the Bucks sucking.

I am REALLY glad this is happening, and REALLY hope Milwaukee does not budge. I find this hilarious. I am also REALLY glad it is not us.

From a practical standpoint though, I don't understand why this is coming from his team. What control does his team have? Is he still under contract where they have to agree to a buyout / release? Why do they care about olympics / national team? If he's leaving them, why do they care? I know it's China and everyone BETTER have national interest in mind, but it seems like this should be coming from agents or national representatives, not the team he's trying to leave.

LOL you are CRAZY!

I would consider trading Childress for him only if Negative Nancy is right about his foot being a problem if he plays more than 20 minutes a night.

I think any reasonable person would agree the hype job that was put on about Yi through the media was masterful.

1.) Who knows if Yi and his peeps would even agree to play in Atlanta. Maybe he ONLY wanted to go Golden State the whole time.

2.) I'd offer Shelden straight up. Take it or leave it. (That's assuming he agrees to play for Atlanta)

3.) The best offer from GState has probably been basically B. Wright...if they threw Ellis into the mix the deal would have been done long ago.

• Premium Member

Hype Job please.

The team that gets Yi has a future allstar plain and simple... Cut and dry.

I mean, my goodness, you guys are holding an incredible standard up for Yi and he has yet to play with an NBA team.