• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My Take on the Ref Fixing Incident!

Wurider05

I think that it serves the NBA right. Every since I was a child whether it was Magic, Bird of Jordan, refs called different games for different people. Anybody remember how many times Wade went to the line in the Finals a few years back. You better not even try to play tough man on man defense against Lebron, Kobe, or Wade. I am sorry but a foul is a foul, a travel is a travel. A lot of people think that it is okay when its their guys getting the whistle. It doesn't matter if it is 5 seconds left in a game a foul is still a foul. This protecting the superstars way of calling games goes after the very integrity of the sport. A rookie should get the same calls that a 10 vet get. People wonder why we get out asses handed to us in international play. The superstars get no favortism there. A Game should be called straight down the middle.

• Premium Member

I have to agree with you 100000000000000%...

Damn straight. A rookie that steps on the floor from day one should get the EXACT same call as a superstar. If some random 10day contract player has his feet set and Tim Duncan plows him over, make the damn call.

A foul is a foul. Nobody should be "given" any calls and nor should they feel entitled to them. If someone gets hit, call it. There should be no such thing as homecourt or player preferential treatment. You shouldn't look at the call and say, "Oh, well that's Wade...he should have made that shot over the rookie."

Just call it down the middle. The better teams and the better players are going to get the better results regardless. This star treatment bullsh!t cuts right into the heart of the game.

soapbox.gif

I never understood the reasoning behind the star treatment anyway. In any other arena a person that excels is usually greeted with a more challenging task. In Sports mostly the NBA the person that excels usually gets the easier task. It is like people with the most money getting free and discounted merchandise. Where does this thinking come from anyway? I think if you excel in basketball you should get less calls as you are head and shoulders above the competition.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I have to agree with you 100000000000000%...

Damn straight. A rookie that steps on the floor from day one should get the EXACT same call as a superstar. If some random 10day contract player has his feet set and Tim Duncan plows him over, make the damn call.

A foul is a foul. Nobody should be "given" any calls and nor should they feel entitled to them. If someone gets hit, call it. There should be no such thing as homecourt or player preferential treatment. You shouldn't look at the call and say, "Oh, well that's Wade...he should have made that shot over the rookie."

Just call it down the middle. The better teams and the better players are going to get the better results regardless. This star treatment bullsh!t cuts right into the heart of the game.

soapbox.gif

I've been saying that for years. There is no other sport in the world where star treatment is so obvious.

• Moderators

I don't buy into raising the bar for the stars because they are successful, but I definitely agree with calling it consistently across the board regardless of who is playing. The only thing that should matter is what is being done on the floor. Who is doing it should be irrelevant with the possible exception of technical fouls or flagrant fouls and guys who have a history being on a shorter leash (that is something you have to earn through repeated bad conduct, though). Even then the general rule should be to call it without regard to who it is (it is just that if Player A knocks a guy into the stands for the first time ever he shouldn't necessarily be treated the same as Player B who has done that to the opposition's star already 6 times this season and it out there head hunting).

• Moderators

Quote:

I was not trying to say I think they should raise the bar as that would be just as bad as lowering the bar. I was trying to say if there is to be any difference in treatment that should be it.

I don't see that as any better than favoring stars and for league marketing purposes I can see how that would be worse. That said, I totally agree that everyone should be treated equally.