• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Breaking News ! Major Power Shift to East ?

coachx

• Admin

Man the Celtics made themselves good for 2 years at teh most.

They are trading away Jefferson and Rondo for an ageing Garrnett whose best days will be behind him.

They have some great talent in Garnett, Pierce and Allen but they are all getting up there and are ready to start hitting the downward slides.

The reason Seattle and Minny are willing to get rid of their guys is because they realize that they are not going to produce what they did before. If you notice they are both getting young talent in return. Boston was getting ready to turn the page with their young talent but now that is all gone. They are now like NJ. An ageing team with talented older stars.

Quote:

It doesnt matter if its only for 2 years the celtics will be an nba title contender with that roster right there.

Agreed. You build your franchise to have a legitimate 2 year window at winning a tilte. If the Celtics get Garnett they have done just that. Garnett in the East is plain scary teamed with a healthy Pierce and Allen.

Boston being good is also great for the NBA and ratings. A Knick / Celtic re-emergence has Stern dreaming of $$ signs and would make the whole gambling fiasco all but forgotten in these beloved basketball cities.

For Garnett's sake I hope it happens. In Boston's mecca-basketball media market Garnett would finally get he notoriety and fame he has long deserved. The guy is a class act and matured into a great role model and NBA spokeman who deserves a bigger stage then what Minnesota can offer.

McHale has a weak spot in his heart for the Celtics and seems to be really helping the Celtics out. In the same breath he is getting a young beast in Jefferson.

Think McHale wears Celtic's boxers under his suit to work still ?

• Premium Member

Ainge has done something stupid (give up on Youth).. but in the process, he has gone all out for proven talent.

KG, Pierce, and Allen should be a wrecking crew.

Unfortunately, you can't tell if they can make it through the season without injury. However, the team will put Boston in contention much faster than what they gave up would have. It's a big risk move. IF there's no injuries, it may pay off.

The guys who really benefit right away are: Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins. Playing with a vet team will age them mighty fast!!

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Boston go to the well one more time for a vet PG.

• Admin

and then Boston suddenly becomes an expansion team. When these guys with the bloated untradeable contracts can't compete at their current level.

The trade includes multiple draft picks too. This is going to really hurt Boston in the long run.

Danny Ainge is keeping with the Celtic tradition of bringing in veteran all time greats to Boston.

Bill Walton, Pistol Pete, and Dominque all went to Boston well after their primes. Nique and Pistol Pete were simply too old and flopped. Walton was falling apart too but was a vital bench player for some champion teams.

Ainge should be credited with bringing in Allen and Garnett while they are still producing All NBA #'s.

As a fan I really hope Garnett gets out of Minnesota and goes to a legendary franchise such as Boston.

Quote:

and then Boston suddenly becomes an expansion team. When these guys with the bloated untradeable contracts can't compete at their current level.

The trade includes multiple draft picks too. This is going to really hurt Boston in the long run.

If your a Boston fan would you care if it gets another Championship Banner in the rafters ?

Other quality vets would be lining up to play for a major discount for this legendary franchise with 3 all stars.

The Grant Hill, Mike Finley, Alonzo Mourning discount contracts would be flowing to Boston.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

If your a Boston fan would you care if it gets another Championship Banner in the rafters ?

Other quality vets would be lining up to play for a major discount for this legendary franchise with 3 all stars.

The Grant Hill, Mike Finley, Alonzo Mourning discount contracts would be flowing to Boston.

I agree. Getting Garnett is the right way to go. If you are going to give up the #5 pick in the draft for a veteran player, you might as well go all out in one direction (winning now) rather than having a roster of young, developing players matched with vets in their prime that don't have the talent to win it all. With KG, Allen and Pierce, Boston will be the favorites in the East tomorrow. That is better than going forward with their current roster even if they are an expansion team after this run ends. ESPN reports, though, that KG will want an extension from whatever team he gets traded to so that might be longer than a 2-year window to build around Garnett.

I think this deal makes sense for both teams.

i think Pierce gave Ainge an ultimatum before the draft to bring in some vets or trade him. Assuming the deal goes through they now have two major stars playing with Pierce. Sure their window isn't that big but a small window is better than no window.

The T-Wolves get a couple of very good young players to fill critical positions for them and get rid of that monstrous contract of Garnett's that is a freak injury away from being a franchise killer considering they don't have enough talent to go anywhere in the west right now.

For Boston they are loaded with huge contracts on older players but I see no reason why they can't compete at a high level for 3 years or so. They are taking a pseudo Miami course with these moves, although I believe that their 3 have a longer future than Shaq/D-Wade do together. Boston gets another superstar, someone to dominate in the post and has 2 of the best outside shooters of the past decade to kick it out to. If they can stay healthy and get decent coaching they will go deep into the playoffs. They can't defend like the Spurs but they are similarly constructed on offense and should run a similar style IMO.

They have Perkins, Big Baby, Lowe and Scalabrini to pair with Garnett in the post too.

Rondo / Pruitt (USC rookie)

Allen / T. Allen

Pierce / Gomes / Wallace

Garnett / Big Baby / Lowe /Scalabrini

Perkins / Garnett

Looks like they ship out Jefferson, Ratliff, Green, Telfair, future 1st. They may have to invlolve a little more salary to = Garnett's contract.

Rondo's perimeter defense is great compliment to Allen and Pierce's offense.

Mike Wilks, B. Knight, and Dee Brown are some veteran PGs still left in free agency for cheap to help Rondo stabelize the PF position. B. Knight could really run that team well while being a great tutor for Rondo.

Guest Walter

Quote:

That is a GM with some balls.

Agreed.

Once the Celtics didn't lost in the lottery it was a tough call what to do next with Pierce. Had they won in the lottery I could see them trading Pierce. Without winning in the lottery I could see either direction. I didn't like 5 for Ray Allen alone in large part because it was a half-way move that might result in no man's land of rebuilding, but in the context a great trade (and I LOVE Jefferson) for Garnett Boston is top notch RIGHT NOW.

Gotta really like the Garnett trade and the overall series of moves if not the Allen one alone. Again, while we think we're getting better. The whole East is and I'm afraid we're still on the outside looking in. That's why you need a GM that doesn't suck. You can't settle for terrible (but likely not "busts" picks because they were HIGH lottery) picks and arguable hit (JJ trade) and certain miss (Lo, Speedy signings) moves. Not in a landscape where you are competing against 15 other teams in your division all equally intent upon getting better.

Quote:

If you are going to give up the #5 pick in the draft for a veteran player, you might as well go all out in one direction (winning now) rather than having a roster of young, developing players matched with vets in their prime that don't have the talent to win it all.

I agree. When they traded for Allen I thought, what's the point in pushing for a 7 or 8 seed for the next two years and then being back where you started? This trade allows the Ray Allen trade to make a lot more sense.

That's why I pushed so much for this team to make a move for a veteran who can help the team win right now before the draft. As currently constructed, this team is improved but not 12-15 games better than last year (especially considering how other teams in the East are loading up on 'right now' talent, i.e., Boston and Orlando), which means another year without playoff basketball.