• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Hawks will have a hard time making the playoff

Diesel

• Premium Member

But I believe that they can make it with healthy players.

Here are my top 8 Eastern teams (when healthy) in my opinion (Not in order):

1. Boston

2. NY

3. Toronto

4. Washington

5. Chicago

6. Orlando

7. Atlanta

8. Philly

I think that Detroit, NJ, Miami, Cleveland and Indiana are all on the downward spiral. I think Milwaukee is hard to call.... They have the talent, but they are still missing something. I think the Bobcats are also a bubble team. They could be one of the strongest teams in the east, but I think being healthy is their main concern.

For us to make the playoffs in either the 7th or 8th position, we will have to get good guard play. I think it was extremely important for us to acquire Law... and I also think it's just as important to get Speedy back healthy. Lue and AJ are third stringers in my opinion.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Here's my ranking of my non-playoff teams:

1. Miami.

2. Detroit

3. Cleveland

4. NJ

5. Charlotte

6. Indiana

7. Milwaukee.

I think that unless Charlotte can get a PG, they have made some dumb mistakes that will cause them to go from ECFinalist to nonplayoff.

I think NJ has spent too much on older talent.

I think Miami will have to get some players. Wade is going to suffocate with the aging roster.

I think Detroit will maintain it's squad but when you look over FLip's history, 3 years is enough to show that he can't motivate.

I think Chicago will be the best team next year and go to the finals. I think the tears in the East will be something like:

Chicago

---#2-5

Toronto

Cleveland

Detroit

Boston

---#6-9

NJ

Miami

Atlanta

Orlando

---#10-12

NY

Washington

Indiana

---#13-15

Philly

Charlotte

Milwaukee

I'm not buying Philly as being that great at all. Boston will do well but will need some time to figure out how Pierce and Allen mesh. Plus they'll have no bench. I can't see Shaq and Wade missing the playoffs either. I also don't buy NY until I see it in action. They still have too many guys who all want the ball at once.

It's going to be tough competition in the east.

Can the Hawks avoid major injuries?

If they do, they have a deep squad, which we haven't had

in many years, then Atlanta will have a winning season.

A winning season means - Yes! Hawks will be a playoff

team this season.

As bad as it was last season with all our injuries, the

actual in-game experience gained because of this, should

be a big plus for this season.

If we remain healthy and can't win, then we must look

to Mike Woodson and his coaching staff. They must

teach and motivate. They must game plan and be able

to see that the plan is executed.

Failure can come from either players or coaches. So

can success. We have the parts. Can we put them

together and make the picture puzzle come out right?

stirthepot.gif

• Premium Member

I can't call Chicago the best team in the East with Boston having the big three. Also, don't sleep on NY. NY has a bonafide post player who can get 20/10 like waking up. They also got Fred Jones. That was a very good move for the Knicks..and they still have bargaining pieces in D. Lee, Balkman, Nate Robinson, and Mardy Collins.

Chicago's bigs haven't improved. While Tyrus Live up to the hype? I don't think he has improved offensively but he will be athletic.

I also think you have to take a look at Orlando. Even though they lack depth in the frontcourt, they still have a good inside and outside game working with Lewis and Howard. They overpaid but it make work out.

• Premium Member

Eventually, we will deal away what we may consider core players. When we resign Smoove, either Marvin, Shelden, Horford, JJ, or Chillz will be moved. Financially, we just can't afford to keep them all. I think it's easy for some to say Shelden and Chillz because they are most disliked... but the truth is that they are the two glue players we have. If Marvin doesn't start living up to his potential, then I think he's the easiest to book.

Not to mention, we have to do something soon with Lue, Lo, Salim, or Aj.

I say let's revisit Gasol!!

NY had enough talent to win the east last year and got 3 more wins than us. Why? Poor coaching, poor defense, no identity, and a bunch of ball hogs. That hasn't changed.

On the perimeter, you have Marbury, QRich, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson who all want the ball, all want to show off their scoring skills. I mean that's crazy. If these guys were that talented and unselfish, it could be beautiful. But they're not. You also have Fred Jones who I like, but will be lost in the rotation.

That would be a big enough problem as is if you have unselfish guys in the post, but you don't. You have Randolph and Curry who want the ball in the post every possession.

I'm impressed by their depth, but I highly doubt they'll play that well together, and I don't see where the defense is going to come from.

David Lee is the only knick I really like.

• Premium Member

I have to disagree on NY last year. Last year, they were an injured team who were forced to play young players. I will agree that their defense didn't improve, but offensively they have uber talent. Again, if they stay healthy, a combo of Curry, Randolph should be a very strong frontcourt tandem.

• Moderators

Quote:

Again, if they stay healthy, a combo of Curry, Randolph should be a very strong frontcourt tandem.

Offensively.

And in terms of defense, it should be among the worst in the league.

The Knicks play zero defense and they just added another inside guy who can't defend at all in Randolph. Curry is literally a statue who can't move his feet at all on defense. David Lee is a nice hustle guy off the bench but he also struggles on defense. Their entire squad is defensively challenged period. That usually doesn't warrant making the playoffs. I also disagree that they had some of the best talent in the East last year.

QRich is not what he once was, Crawford is a streak shooter who build brick houses 2/3 of the time, Marbury is a ball hog who doesn't defend, Nate Robinson sucks and may not have a roster spot, Balkman defends but can't score, Rose is horrible, Jefferies is a p*ssy who doesn't score...

The Knicks just don't defend at all. Adding another non-defender in the middle who needs the ball to be good was not that great of a move. Curry also can't defend, and also needs the ball. Marbury doesn't defend and will HAVE the ball...Crawford will chuck it when he gets it. Nope, the Knicks are no threat. Chemistry and no defense...

BTW, while I'm talking about guys who play no defense, one of the leaders of the no-defense club is Ray Allen. That dude is a terrible defender. I've watched him in Philips and he just plays no defense at all.

Chicago is the best team in the East next year because they play great defense. If the Hawks play defense next year they will make the playoffs.

Agreed on Allen. And Pierce doesn't play much either. Rondo does, but they have no defensive C. They just signed House who plays zero D. Basically they'll have Rondo-Garnett playing D but that's it. Between that and the fact that I'm not sure how Allen-Pierce get along, I'm not sold on them as a top notch team.

Wow !

Philly and ATL are better then: Miami, Detroit, Cleveland , and NJ ?

I could see Detroit missing the playoffs but no way Miami, Cleveland, and NJ all miss too.

My rankings would be more like:

1. Bulls (regular season winner won't = playoff performance)

2. Boston (stars win playoff series)

3. Cleveland (super star wins playoff series)

4. Heat (Shaq/ Wade healthy come playoff time ?)

5. Toronto (maturing)

6. Washington (something alwaayse goes wrong here )

7. NJ (help in post? will draft pick and moore be enough ?)

8. Orlando (Lewis and Howard enough ?)

9. Detroit

10. Knicks (must prove chemistry)

11. Hawks (must prove chemistry)

12. Bobcats

13. 76ers

14. Pacers

15. Bucks

I see Orlando, NY, ATL, and Charlotte having a slugfest for the #8 seed. The good thing is Chicago's hustle may win them the eastern conference regular season crown while not being the best playoff series team in the east.

The Heat's regualr season record may be in the middleof the pack but if Shaq and Wade are healthy in the playoffs they and Boston are the team to beat.

To me, when healthy, there is a clear cut top 4 of: Heat, Cavs, Celtic, & Bulls.

• Premium Member

Or at least it's not as important as offense.

Exhibit A: Theo Ratliff.

Possible game changer, but he didn't change games unless he was surrounded by other good defenders. The same is true of guys like Bowen and even Ron Artest. However, if you have a good offensive team, it makes a much bigger difference. I think the success of the Knicks will be if Isiah can implement a good team defense. Because they don't have to be a team full of lock down defenders to win. They just have to outscore their opponents.

think that other EC teams are evaluating themselves against the new Celtics team?

I think it's now possible that a team will be more motivated to consider a trade that was not so palatable before. JO is still available and so are some others on the Pacer's. How would JO or Murphy look next to Shaq? Team's like Miami who knew they already had fallen behind can't watch Boston and sit on their hands.

• Premium Member

My rankings would be more like:

1. Bulls (regular season winner won't = playoff performance)

2. Boston (stars win playoff series)

3. Cleveland (super star wins playoff series)

4. Heat (Shaq/ Wade healthy come playoff time ?)

5. Toronto (maturing)

6. Washington (something alwaayse goes wrong here )

7. NJ (help in post? will draft pick and moore be enough ?)

8. Orlando (Lewis and Howard enough ?)

IN NJ, I do like the addition of Magloire.. however, I think this is the transition year from Kidd to M. Williams. Unfortunately, I don't think MW can run the show like Kidd does. Moreover, I think they will fail to recognize Kristic and will overemphasize Carter in their offensive scheme. That's a bad thing in my opinion.

I think you've overthought Miami. Shaq is not the Shaq of History. Shaq now is a former dominant player who may be playing too long. I can't even tell if his heart is in it. LIke I said, Wade is going to be suffocated by the aging vets in Miami. To stop the bleeding at PG, the Heat brought in Smush Parker. No team will deal for Jason Williams, in his last year. Lonzo is 37, Shaq is 35... Doleac is looking really young standing next to them. Then there's employee #8.. He wants to be more of an offensive focus. This team is sinking fast... And who is the coach?

Have you took a strong look at Cleveland? Danny Ferry has just screwed them over and over. Cleveland got lucky last year. They got lucky in a hurt east and got to the playoffs... then they beat an aging Detroit team. I think if Boston stays healthy, Atlanta stays healthy, Milwaukee stays healthy, and Philly stays healthy, Cleveland will have a hard time getting to the playoffs, in fact, I will say that they won't. Everybody has gotten better and Cleveland has not.

So here's the deal.... If Atlanta doesn't grab the 8th spot this year, BK and Woody must go.

I can 100% see Miami missing the playoffs. They are old and slow with D-Wade the exception. I can see the Pistons fading but still in the playoffs. NJ may miss the playoffs as they play zero defense and Kidd is getting old. They were borderline this year.

I wouldn't just hand the East to Boston either. The media is hardly ever right and they love the C's. But, after the big 3 they have less than nothing. They also have Doc as their coach and that alone subtracts 5 wins.

The East is wide open. The Bucks, Sixers, Hawks, and Bobcats will all be better.

1. Chicago

2. Boston

3. Cleveland

4. Detroit

5. Toronto

6. Washington

7. Miami

8. Atlanta

• Premium Member

I hear people say "Boston isn't all that good, they're just good on paper".

Dude Please. KG is as good as advertised. He has been shackled to a failing Minny team who had just as many bad contracts as his good contract. He goes to a team with more talent than he's ever played with. The key is Ray Allen. IF Allen is 100%, that team is a bonafide monster on paper and on the court. There's no selfishness on that team and all three guys can take over. I really want to see what happens with Big Baby. This guy has the ability to be a star in this league too. All they need is one vet PG to play alongside Rondo... If they get a guy like Brevin Knight... call it.

• Admin

NY is a terrible team. They have the most overrated/overrpaid pg in the league. They have a bunch of chuckers and they have Curry/Zach. Two guys who never learned how to play defense.

This team is an absolute mess and Isaih continues to show why he should never be in management. The team has 0 chemistry. Isaih has never looked for chemistry when he acquires players.

I think the top team in the east is now Chicago. Their talent and chemistry is undeniable and now they have the experience they needed. I like the pickup of Joe Smith too.

I don't think Orlando improved themselves and I think Philly may prove to be the worst team in the East.

My picks:

1. Chicago (too much talent and have been playing together for a while now)

2. Boston (If they get chemistry look out)

3. Toronto (they are a team to watch, will improve upon last year)

4. Clevland (Eastern finalists will win 50 again)

5. Detroit (they are getting older)

6. Miami (They only have a year or so to compete)

7. Washington (They only go as far as Areanas takes them)

8. (tie) Charlotte (they have the talent and some experience)

8. (tie) Milwakee (they were a playoff team if they never got hurt.)