• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Hawks will have a hard time making the playoff

Diesel

• Premium Member

New coach in Charlotte. I won't put any bets on how good they are.

Philly will be better than you expect. I think the big thing with them will be a guy like Louis Williams and if he can be converted to a PG. If He can spell Andre Miller for 1/2 the game, the 76er have an uptempo squad that scare people. Cheeks is a good enough coach to exploit their star player.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you there. I am a big KG fan. I just don't expect Detroit, Miami, and NJ to be out of the top 8.

I believe that Cleveland will have to do something to improve before the season begins. Lebron can't be happy.

Orlando lacks PG play.

Philly? They are questionable but I give them a chance because of good pg play.

Then there is the Hawks. This season's success is going to be on Woodson to integrate all the talent and draw up plays to take advantage of our strengths. Running offense. Drive and kick with Speedy and Joe. Shelden playing C. Players taking the right shots (smoove will should not be shooting 3's). Defining our go to players.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Orlando lacks PG play.

I wouldn't say that exactly. I think if they smarten up and start using Arroyo... they can't go wrong. With that, I still like Nelson... and even Dooling can bring the ball up and pass off.

I really think it is hard to guess how good or bad the Hawks will be this season because of BK's continued plan to rely on rookies and young veterans as opposed to established veterans.

Hopefully this is the last year of rebuilding and the Hawks will make moves at mid-season or after this season to bring a better balance of experience and youth to the roster with the goal of winning games rather then developing talent. At some point, play time has to be over. Like a lot of people, I am frustrated with how long this is taking and the many missteps along the way.

• Premium Member

Quote:

BK's continued plan to rely on rookies and young veterans as opposed to established veterans.

I don't know what rookies you are refering to and which young veterans you want replaced for old veterans but the guys most people are waiting for like josh Smith seem to be untouchables. Other than he and Marvin Williams, who are you talking about?

My Rankings by Tiers:

Tier 1: Playoff Locks (in relative order of regular season standings)

1) Chicago (with that balance and depth, they will have the best regular season record).

2) Detroit (still a very legit team that knows how to win)

3) Boston (the favorites once the playoffs come around; they wont have the best record though b/c of depth issues)

4) Cleveland (reigning EC champs have the man-child Lebron)

These are the only 4 teams I see locked in.

Tier 2: Playoff possibilites (again, in relative order)

5) Miami (still have to show me otherwise before I drop them)

6) Toronto (well-bult team that is one Bosh injury away from being screwed)

7) Atlanta (I think we just have so many quality players now, our depth will carry us)

8a)Washington (I think we're slightly better then them now.. Arenas leaves after this season).

8b)Charlotte (lots of good players, but health is a concern; everyone stays healthy and they are in)

8c)Orlando (still not enough quality players)

9) NJ (will be around for playoff contention, but I think they slide down some this year. Kidd can only do so much and VC is in decline)

See you in the lottery:

Mil, New York, Philly

New York just doesn't fit right; too many players duplicating skillsets. They are the best of the 3 though.

Quote:

Quote:

BK's continued plan to rely on rookies and young veterans as opposed to established veterans.

I don't know what rookies you are refering to and which young veterans you want replaced for old veterans but the guys most people are waiting for like josh Smith seem to be untouchables. Other than he and Marvin Williams, who are you talking about?

Um, rookies Horford and Law. Don't you think the Hawks are relying on them this season? I do. Same with "young veterans" Smoove, Childress, Marvin, Sheldon, etc.

• Moderators

Am I the only person who isn't sold on Toronto for next season?

I know they dramatically improved last year but I am not that impressed with their talent. I am not sold that they will have the same kind of chemistry that elevated them from a perenial lottery team into the playoffs last season.

I think they are just a little more likely to improve on last year as they are to regress. I just don't see it as a given, at all, that they will be in the playoffs next year.

• Premium Member

I think TJ Ford and Chris Bosh are two of the strongest players who have come out in recent years. IF they play the speedy game, I think they can be successful.

Question marks are Bargnani, Garbajose, Delfino,Calderon, Kapono and the rest of their European travel team. However, I think they have an unselfishness that creates chemistry and Bosh works that really well. IF they use Jason Kapono well, they will have an inside outside game and an eurostyle team similar to the Spurs.

Quote:

I think you've overthought Miami. Shaq is not the Shaq of History. Shaq now is a former dominant player who may be playing too long. I can't even tell if his heart is in it. Like I said, Wade is going to be suffocated by the aging vets in Miami. To stop the bleeding at PG, the Heat brought in Smush Parker. No team will deal for Jason Williams, in his last year. Lonzo is 37, Shaq is 35... Doleac is looking really young standing next to them. Then there's employee #8.. He wants to be more of an offensive focus. This team is sinking fast... And who is the coach?

Have you took a strong look at Cleveland? Danny Ferry has just screwed them over and over. Cleveland got lucky last year. They got lucky in a hurt east and got to the playoffs... then they beat an aging Detroit team. I think if Boston stays healthy, Atlanta stays healthy, Milwaukee stays healthy, and Philly stays healthy, Cleveland will have a hard time getting to the playoffs, in fact, I will say that they won't. Everybody has gotten better and Cleveland has not.

So here's the deal.... If Atlanta doesn't grab the 8th spot this year, BK and Woody must go.

Agree that if we don't make the playoffs Knight should go (unless we miss it by 1 game or so with a record over .500/ that will still be good enough progress to me.)

Cleveland not making the playoffs at all is bold. Lebron wins games by himself. All they need is Hughes to stay healthy for his defense and they are in. I don't think the Cavs will get past the 2nd round this year but they should be a playoff team.

On Miami: Shaq looked great last year. I do agree he can no longer carry a team to the playoffs alone but if Wade gives them 70 games they are a shoe in. Wade's super man cape makes him the 2nd best player in the league behind only Kobe. When Wade is healthy he can take over games better then James while, at the same time, being a better team player then Kobe. Shaq just needs to give them another 40 regualar season games and stay rested for the playoff run (Roger Clemens like).

No one wants to go against Wade and Shaq in a 7 game series.

Parker / Williams

Wade / Richardson / Cook

Wright / Walker

Haslem Walker / Simien

O'Niel / Mourning / Doleac

They may sign and trade Posey for Petrius to give them a better SF. Eddie Jones could be resigned to a 1 year deal to give vet exp off the bench at SG / SF.

Smuch Parker is a big time defensive upgrade over the injured Williams and old Payton. Parker also gives them a much needed shot of youth and athelticsm.

Riley sees something in Wright at SF and is hot for Petrius too.

I am not so confident our youth and inexpierence can over come the Heat's veteran leadership, Riley motivational coaching, and Wade's super man act.

I know one thing, I would never count Wade and a still breathing Shaq out of the playoffs.

How quickly we forget the super man act called Dawyne Wade .

So Diesel, you basically think the 2 of 3 best players in the NBA could be on the outside looking in to the 2008 NBA Playoffs ? I realize basketball is a team sport but these particular stars win games for themselves.

If any one of Wade, Lebron, or Kobe are not in the playoffs I would be shocked and I would never go on record for doubting their ability to get their respective teams in the playoffs.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think TJ Ford and Chris Bosh are two of the strongest players who have come out in recent years. IF they play the speedy game, I think they can be successful.

Question marks are Bargnani, Garbajose, Delfino,Calderon, Kapono and the rest of their European travel team. However, I think they have an unselfishness that creates chemistry and Bosh works that really well. IF they use Jason Kapono well, they will have an inside outside game and an eurostyle team similar to the Spurs.

I have no doubt they can be successful for the reasons you said. I just don't think it is as much of a given as many of the people projecting make it out to be. Frequently, people divide the teams into those that are a given to be in the playoffs (assuming no disasterous injuries) and those that are question marks. Toronto is frequently put in the 'given' category.

I don't buy into that because I can also see scenarios where Ford is either injured (not in a freak injury but in a very foreseeable one given his track record) or somewhat neutralized due to his poor shooting; where the supporting cast flops; where they simply don't have the same defensive chemistry as last year; etc.

I don't see the Ford/Bosh/Bargnani core as being so talented that Toronto is a prohibitive favorite to make the playoffs in the East.

I would definitely put them in the "mixer" category. Higher in the mixer than the Hawks but it would not shock me to see Toronto tail off from last year to this one somewhat like Indiana did coming into last year when many people projected Indiana in the playoffs in the preseason.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Cleveland not making the playoffs at all is bold. Lebron wins games by himself. All they need is Hughes to stay healthy for his defense and they are in. I don't think the Cavs will get past the 2nd round this year but they should be a playoff team.

In a healthy East with teams not tanking to get Oden, I don't think Cleveland is good enough to make the top 8 this year. They have no depth and they have aging vets who will prolly mail it in this year. IF Cleveland doesn't make a move for some good players, I don't see them finishing in the top 8.

Quote:

On Miami: Shaq looked great last year. I do agree he can no longer carry a team to the playoffs alone but if Wade gives them 70 games they are a shoe in. Wade's super man cape makes him the 2nd best player in the league behind only Kobe. When Wade is healthy he can take over games better then James while, at the same time, being a better team player then Kobe. Shaq just needs to give them another 40 regualar season games and stay rested for the playoff run (Roger Clemens like).

It's not the fact that Shaq looked bad... it's the fact that Shaq is not effective against the new style of team coming around. Sure, he can play the repost offense and do damage... however, they don't really have the complimentary pieces to be winners in this league. I like Wade, and I agree that he's superman, but same story as Lebron.. Without Help, Superman is left in the phonebooth wondering why he can't get his pants off.

Quote:

So Diesel, you basically think the 2 of 3 best players in the NBA could be on the outside looking in to the 2008 NBA Playoffs ? I realize basketball is a team sport but these particular stars win games for themselves.

Well, there's a big shift in basketball and it's been happening since Detroit beat LAL. The one man teams can not win anymore. Teams composed of a few star players and some good complimentary players who can run is starting to overtake the one man teams. Last year was a bit of a fluke because of the Oden Sweepstakes. However, even last year, you see how a bunch of unlikelies like the Toronto Raptors and the Golden State Warriors pushed their way into the picture. Without Balance, I don't see these throwbacks being competitive. And in the east, the shift has been made more evident. I mean, first you had Orlando.. It was a move but not really a big move because they lost depth. Then you had to look at young upstarts like the Hawks, Bobcats, and Bucks. What some may believe as being feeder teams, the truth is that these teams are loaded down with talent. Then there was NY going for Zebo... Again trading a promising young player for an established guy. But the biggest was Danny Ainge's Maneuvering to get Ray Allen and KG. That was just brilliant. So now you have to look at the landscape all over again. That same formula that Miami used to win a championship (namely trade youth, get balance with vets) is now going to turn on them. Their vets are old. I don't know if Zo will play this season. I don't know if White Chocolate can make it. And their younger players have flaws. Haslem is just defense. Walker is just offense. It's going to be an interesting season. But yeah, I don't think Wade and Lebron can do it alone.

• Premium Member

I agree that there will be lots of differences coming from last season to this one. Mainly:

1. NO Oden Sweepstakes. With less tanking you will see a lot more serious play. It will be harder to get wins.

2. The Big three in Boston.

3. The emergence of Youth in Milwaukee, Charlotte, Orlando, and Atlanta.

I think EVERY team in the EC has a shot at making the playoffs. The only playoff lock I see is CHI because I think every other team has significant issues. CHI has issues too, just not as many as the other teams. I think it will boil down to health. The teams that remain healthy (at least relatively so) will all have a chance to make the playoffs.

Quote:

But I believe that they can make it with healthy players.

Here are my top 8 Eastern teams (when healthy) in my opinion (Not in order):

1. Boston

2. NY

3. Toronto

4. Washington

5. Chicago

6. Orlando

7. Atlanta

8. Philly

I think that Detroit, NJ, Miami, Cleveland and Indiana are all on the downward spiral. I think Milwaukee is hard to call.... They have the talent, but they are still missing something. I think the Bobcats are also a bubble team. They could be one of the strongest teams in the east, but I think being healthy is their main concern.

For us to make the playoffs in either the 7th or 8th position, we will have to get good guard play. I think it was extremely important for us to acquire Law... and I also think it's just as important to get Speedy back healthy. Lue and AJ are third stringers in my opinion.

huh? what am i missing here? ny is pure trash. they add a blackhole to an already disfunctional, overpaid, selfish collection of players that have no interest whatsoever is putting forth an ounce of energy on defense and they become the one of the best team in the east? its time to get back on the meds! ny if everything goes according to plan (or what's on paper) then they might SOMEHOW vie for the 8th playoff spot.

how in the world do you take detroit out of the playoff mix? those guys are like the braves. they can win regular season games in their sleep. their corp has been together forever and nothing has changed that. they'll easily be on of the top 4 teams in the east.

i do agree with you that boston is the team to beat in the east. those three players shouldn't have a problem playing together and i think their games will mesh nicely. if they can add another veteran pg i.e. brevin knight to that squad they should win 50 games without breaking a sweat.

the worst two teams in the east will be philly and indy. indy hasn't made a move to improve their roster and oneal and tinsley are accidents/injuries waiting to happen. i don't think mike dunleavy is all of the sudden going to be the savior either. as for philly. i like louis williams but he's only a summer league star. i wouldn't bet the house that he is going to be a major contributor or difference maker this year. he still turns the ball over too much and against real nba players he can't score at will like he does against weak 2nd rounders and the leonard hamiltons of the world.

the heat are deteriorating fast. shaq is quickly becoming a non factor. and wade simply doesn't have enough pieces to be a serious factor in the east.

toronto is a middle of the pack team. they definitely have no where to go but down. i think they peaked last year.

washington is a regular season team. gilbert is going to get his, along with caron and jamison but they don't have a single frontcourt player worth mentioning so i don't think they improve much at all.

charlotte and atlanta improves because i think their core of youngsters have been around each other for several years now and they both added some nice pieces this year. charlotte's never had a go-to guy, but they addressed that with richardson. atlanta hasn't had a legitimate starting pg or frontcourt depth which hopefully both were addressed by horford and law.

so my top 8 teams go like this. (if healthy) in order.

1. boston

2. chicago

3. detroit

4. new jersey

5. washington

6. toronto

7. orlando

8. atlanta/charlotte/ny