• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Chillz vs. Marvin...why not?

khaos7

Quote:

Let me see if I can clean up some of the BS for you then.

1. Lue was a 27 year old PG that was in the final year of his deal. He was pretty much the engine that ran our broke down car in those final 2 months. JJ and Chill's success does not come, if Lue doesn't play the PG position well enough to get them the ball in good spots.

Lue's numbers those final 2 months:

15.3 ppg . . 5.4 apg . . 47% FG . . 37% 3FG . . 91% FT - in March

16.1 ppg . . 6.3 apg . . 52% FG . . 56% 3FG . . 93% FT - in April

OK . . I'm just supposed to just brush that type of production off? If we got that from Law, or even Speedy this year, people would be praising the heavens and talking Eastern Conference Semifinal or Final appearance.

Lue definitely has deficiencies. I've been one of his biggest critics over the years, especially his defense. But with the way he played in those final 2 months of the season, it's not out of the realm of possibility that BK told Lue:

"Go ahead and see what you can get out on the market, but we'd like to have you back here. If no one offers you a deal to your liking, we'll take care of you."

It may have been BK's "plan" to always get either Bogut or Marvin with that #2 pick, because he knew he had Lue in his back pocket if he needed an adequate PG to put out there with the kids. Even Paul's stellar workout wasn't enough to sway BK off of Marvin, because of his "potential" to be a star. And because most NBA stars play either the 2, 3, or 4, BK was willing to take Marvin instead of the solid PGs in Paul or Williams. I don't think that's BS at all.

2. OK, let's assume you're right. BK's plan for JJ was for him to start at the point, and be Chauncey Billups-like. Maybe not from a playmaking standpoint, but definitely from a scoring standpoint.

But we all know that JJ was at the very least 4th on BK's target list, behind Allen, Redd, and Larry Hughes ( oh God, imagine this team with Hughes. We'd definitely be in trouble. )

Espn reported
here
that Larry Hughes had agreed to sign with Cleveland. This was on July 9th of that year. A full 2 weeks after the draft. Of course, this had been rumored for a few weeks before the actual signing, but Hughes was being courted by a number of teams, including the Hawks.

But if you're right, and JJ was talking to the Hawks before the draft, then that would give even more credence to why BK took Marvin, instead of Paul or Williams.

3. I agree with that. But there's a difference between a franchise caliber PG, and a superstar caliber franchise PG. Both of those guys were definitely good enough for us to take at #2. But the fear in the NBA has always been passing over a young guy that is projected to be a star. We've seen this with Garnett, Kobe, T-Mac, Amare and a host of lesser players that turned out to be pretty good. It's easy to believe that the Hawks didn't want to be the franchise to pass over the next potential star young player.

It's like KB said. It's easy to provide revisionist history on a guy who hasn't developed quite as fast as people would want him to. But at the time he was selected, he was almost a lock to go no less than #2.

A team that had won 13 games the year before, couldn't afford to pass up on the guy that most "experts" thought would be the "star" out of this draft class. Neither Childress nor Smith showed any inkling that they'd rapidly turn into star players anytime soon. And Smoove would've definitely fit into that mold, had Woody not moved him to the 4.

People may not agree with the decision, but I can easily see why the Hawks did what they did when it came to selecting Marvin.

1. It was unrealistic for BK to consider Lue a potential starter regarless of what his stats were for a horrible team. There is a reason why he was shipped out of Washington (i.e., it was evident he could not be a starting point guard).

2. The whole "JJ is a point guard" thing was a fallacy from the beginning. Almost anyone with any sense knew that he was destined to play shooting guard.

3. If neither Childress or Smith showed any inkling of being stars then it shows that the Childress pick was a mistake as well since both Deng and Igoudala have gone on to become all-star caliber players.

I really hope Marvin explodes in his third year like other youngster such as Smoove, Deng, Bosh, McGrady, etc.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we really look back to the draft of chill you will see what he was drafted for. the new coach came from the pistons. they were looking for chill to play the 2 like rip.

jj to come in and play billups roll. marvin was just talent cause walker was gone and harrington was here for one more year.the pistons bigs were just like the piston winning teams without a super center like (shaq) 4 interchangable bigs to throw at other teams with 24 fouls. dose anyone know who started on the old piston betweem mohorn,sally,rodmam(a lot like jsmith back then)and lamber.

1.billups 1.thomas 1.jj

2.rip 2.dumars 2.chill

3.prince 3.mark aqure 3.marvin

4.wallace mcdyce 4.rodmam,sally 4.jsmith,shelden

5.b wallace other bigs 5. lamber,mahorn 5.zaza,wright

this was the plan and when jj did not take to the point the next year they went for a vet point and chill was lost to backing up 2 and 3 spot and drafted that big in sheldon to complete the 4 big just like those piston teams