• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Playing to Win or Playing to Develop?

Diesel

Quote:

I like letting wide open competition determine minutes. Obviously, you have to take chemistry into account but let the best man win.

The only caveat I would have is that if the competition is even, I would go with the guy with upside. If Horford, Shelden and Zaza are even at Center, I go with Horford. If Marvin and Chillz are even at SF, I go with Marvin. If Acie, Speedy and Lue are even at PG, I go with Acie.

Exactly!! It's not like we're benching a player with the talent of say a J.J. The talent between Marvin and Chillz is arguable at best. There is no clear cut advantage for either player. So, you give the player with the most upside the minutes (I could care less who starts) or their playing time is dictated on a situational basis.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I see. At this point:

A. Chillz is better than Marvin

B. Zaza and Shelden are better prepared to start than Horford.

3. A healthy Speedy and Lue are more suited to start than Acie.

If we are to win.

The players are part of it. I would also expect, the way we play to change as well. Mainly our subbing patterns... and who plays. I think if we are playing to win, it won't be Woody's idea that everybody knows when they will go into the game and how long they will play... But instead, the Matchup will dictate how long a player plays... For instance, if we're playing Houston and Marvin is just beating the hell out of Shane Battier. Not only does Marvin stay in the game, but also Marvin becomes our goto guy until he either runs cold or Houston stops him.

Another consideration is new coaching. Often, winning teams, have veteran coaches. Remember a few years ago.. Detroit fired Rick Carlisle and hired Larry Brown. Carlisle had done nothing wrong publickly but he was a young coach. Brown took over the team and won a championship.

I think that when we become a team more suited to win, we will play differently, substitute differently and possibly have a new coach.

• Premium Member

It must be hard keeping your lips glued to Marvin's humongous ass... and Be the defender of all things Marvin at the same time. You say that I'm obsessed with Marvin... I think the Marvin obsession can be clearly seen in your mirror.

Quote:

It must be hard keeping your lips glued to
Marvin's humongous ass...
... and Be the defender of all things Marvin at the same time. You say that I'm obsessed with Marvin... I think the Marvin obsession can be clearly seen in your mirror.

Are you saying T.Pete has a big ass? scratchchin.gif

My position on Marvin can best be described as cautiously optimistic. Because I actually attend the games, unlike yourself who obviously doesn't watch, I have seen some positive signs about Marvin. And I also attend games with people who know a lot more about basketball than you do...although that isn't saying a lot.

I just don't think that 13.1 ppg is all that despicable for a 20-year old. If he is still around there in a couple of years then I will be highly disappointed.

Let me remind you for the 12th time that I wanted Deron Williams. I love a big rugged PG that can defend. I did not want Marvin...I did not want Marvin...I did not want Marvin.

Do you hear? There are two things that I know with 100% certainty.

1. We cannot re-do the 2005 draft.

2. You spend far too much time on something that you fundamentally have little to zero aptitude for.

Iah did not Hiah, Ray Goff.

13 ppg are not bad even two years from now IF, other pieces are supported. Game is important. Rounding, passing, defense. shooting percentage. Some of the best players did not average 20 ppg.

Marvin has time and for sure a chance.

I agree with you that a big part of Marvin's improvement is not in his scoring. If he becomes a polished defender, a better rebounder, gets to the line more, gets better on the block, and improves his passing, those are things that lead to justifying his pick.

I do expect some bump in his ppg. But, it would be foolish to ignore his all round game.

There are one or two on here just like dolls with strings that will regurgitate the same old crap no matter how he does. But, scoring aside, I hope we see a better all around player this season and beyond.

Quote:

I agree with you that a big part of Marvin's improvement is not in his scoring. If he becomes a polished defender, a better rebounder, gets to the line more, gets better on the block, and improves his passing, those are things that lead to justifying his pick.

I do expect some bump in his ppg. But, it would be foolish to ignore his all round game.

There are one or two on here just like dolls with strings that will regurgitate the same old crap no matter how he does. But, scoring aside, I hope we see a better all around player this season and beyond.

One portion of his game I believe is there. That is getting to the FT Line. He gets there and shoots well from the line. If it were not for that, chills would have those criticle end of games minutes.

In fact the end of games on court lineup still may have Chillz, Marvin and JJ in the back court and wings.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I wanted Deron Williams. I love a big rugged PG that can defend.

I agree with you about Deron other than him being a good defender. He may be a better defender than Paul, but he still isn't a good one.

• Premium Member

Quote:

One portion of his game I believe is there. That is getting to the FT Line. He gets there and shoots well from the line. If it were not for that, chills would have those criticle end of games minutes.

I don't see why this is so misunderstood. Marvin only gets to the line 0.3 more times per game than Childress.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see why this is so misunderstood. Marvin only gets to the line 0.3 more times per game than Childress.

As you site average you may not have seen the last 20 games. Marvin came up big from the line those last 15-20 games. Where as he may not have early, He was big from the FT late.

• Premium Member

I think what you will note is that down the stretch, we played a lot of teams who were also playing their young players. I would guess that Fouls were up on a whole. I would also guess that Marvin Played more minutes than Chillz. That means that Marvin probably got to the line more. Does that mean we can expect more of the same from Marvin? Probably not. When the vets play, the fouls that Marvin may have gotten against Joe Schmoe, he won't get vs. Paul Pierce. If anything Pierce will draw the fouls.

That means that what somebody point out earlier that Chillz is only .3 fta less than Marvin becomes significant.

Quote:

I think what you will note is that down the stretch, we played a lot of teams who were also playing their young players. I would guess that Fouls were up on a whole. I would also guess that Marvin Played more minutes than Chillz. That means that Marvin probably got to the line more. Does that mean we can expect more of the same from Marvin? Probably not. When the vets play, the fouls that Marvin may have gotten against Joe Schmoe, he won't get vs. Paul Pierce. If anything Pierce will draw the fouls.

That means that what somebody point out earlier that Chillz is only .3 fta less than Marvin becomes significant.

We know Marvin needs get stronger in his shoulders and legs, he needs to quicken his hands. So many of his shot attempts in the paint or rim are altered or blocked because he has been weak and indecisive.

It's a mans game in the NBA. Basically Marvin has to get rid of the little boy game get some arz and bring it.

But, his free throw shooting is prime time. comp1.gif

Guest MLibid

Quote:

players? I think we are still CLEARLY in the developmental stages (You can't be as young as we are and NOT be in the developmental stages). However, I also think that the team is far enough along in the developmental stages that we as fans should expect to see some results in the form of wins. Smoove and Chillz are going into their fourth years and this is about the time we figure out what they are going to be. JJ is just entering his prime. I think we will be a much better team this year but NEXT year is the year I think we will finally make that jump (assuming we get Smoove and Chillz resigned with no other major losses - JJ, Marvin, Horford, Acie, Shelden or Zaza).

Well said.