6.7ppg----------8.3ppg

1.2apg----------0.9apg

0.9rpg----------1.4rpg

42.0fg%---------41.5fg%

36.2_3p%--------36.1_3p%

15.5mpg---------17.7mpg

• Moderators

Quote:

great stats. I wonder how other big names compare to Joe in their stats? For example, does LBJ have worse stats in loses than wins?

Nonetheless, great find.

That is a safe bet for nearly every star player.

For LBJ, for example, he shot 50.2% shooting in wins and 44% in losses (with roughly the same ppg in each).

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

For LBJ, for example, he shot 50.2% shooting in wins and 44% in losses (with roughly the same ppg in each).

I would have thought that as well. What website are you using to find this?

nba.com's season splits

Quote:

Zaza's fg% difference ot 12% between wins and losses is the biggest on the team.

Good point.

Furthermore proves how better / more consistent play at center is vital for us winning more games. If ZaZa does not have it one night, hopefully Horford will.

While the jury is still out on how effective Horford will be at center. I'd bet the mortgage he is an improvement over ZaZa while being more consistent, even as a rookie.

I looked up something on ZaZa one time.

When he scored 20 points or more, we were slightly above .500 ( 6 - 5 record ).

I remembered that part. So now I'll go further.

- When he scored 15 points or more, we were a .571 team ( 12 - 9 )

- When he scored 10 or more points, we were a .468 team ( 22 - 25 )

- When he scored less than 10 points, we were an .083 team

( 2 - 22 )

. . NOTE: Only wins were vs Orlando on Jan 23, when JJ scored 39 and Smoove scored 24 . . and against Orlando again on Jan 26, when JJ scored 34

It's the play of the frontline that loses games for us folks. They either lose it on defense, or they lose it on offense. And it happens because our frontline is inconsistent as hell. And it's not only from a point production standpoint, but more from a shooting percentage standpoint.

When your center ( ZaZa ) shoots 43% in losses, your power forward ( Smoove ) shoots 41% in losses, and your small forward ( Marvin ) shoots 42% in losses, or even Shelden at 42% in losses . . that's not going to work at all. Matter of fact, that ish is unacceptable.

This is why we drafted Horford, to see if he can help out in this area on a nightly basis. HE turned out to be the priority pick, not a PG.

This is why Smoove should be almost FORBIDDEN to shoot the ball outside of 21 feet.

This is why Marvin must work on becoming a better finisher around the rim.

If Horford can pretty much prove that he can be a 50% shooter at either PF or C, we have to start the guy . . no questions asked. WE can't afford to have frontline people shooting under 45% FG. Not this year. No matter who it is . . including Josh Smith.

By the way . . . Gilbert Arenas' splits:

Games won ( 39 )

32.4 ppg

6.6 asst

49% FG

43% 3FG

Games lost ( 34 )

24.1 ppg

5.3 asst

33% FG

27% 3FG

I don't think there's ANY player in the league, that has a dropoff that dramatic in shooting, than Arenas. I knew this was the case with him, but I didn't know it was this dramatic of a dropoff.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Zaza's fg% difference ot 12% between wins and losses is the biggest on the team.

FWIW, I've always thought his FG% was more deceptive than any other player in the NBA. Who else bounces the ball of the backboard to himself so often?

His offensive rebound numbers are equally deceptive.

(IOW, he's not THAT inefficient because he gets so many of his own misses, but he's a much POORER rebounder than many make him out to be).

That's a good observation. I definitely agree with that about ZaZa.

According to nba.com's stats:

* His 6.9 rpg ranked him 47th overall ( 11th amongst centers )

* His 4.2 defensive rebounds per game ranked him in a tie for 70th ( T-14th amongst centers )

* His 2.8 offensive rebounds per game ranked him 17th overall ( 4th amongst centers )

So he is a good offensive rebounder. But like you said, of those 2.8 offensive rebounds, probably 2 of them are off of his own misses.

The three stats that jump out the most to me are Joe Johnson's 3-point field goal percentage (48% in wins, 30% in losses), Josh Smith's field goald percentage (49% in wins, 40% in losses), and Zaza's field goal percentage (54% in wins, 42% in losses). So to me it seems like if we could get Josh Smith more consistent and get more steady production out of the center position (like a lot of people have said), we'd be in pretty good shape.

I also think I remember something about how Joe Johnson shoots a lot worse on the second half of back to backs, and that may come from playing too many minutes, which means his legs get tired and his jump shot doesn't fall. If we were good enough to where he didn't have to play as much, maybe we'd see some more consistency out of his 3-point shot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I also think I remember something about how Joe Johnson shoots a lot worse on the second half of back to backs, and that may come from playing too many minutes, which means his legs get tired and his jump shot doesn't fall. If we were good enough to where he didn't have to play as much, maybe we'd see some more consistency out of his 3-point shot.

I looked at last season's stats, and it turns out it's a little more complicated than that. (You're mostly right).

If you compare his effective FG% on back-to-back vs. other nights, you see this:

0 days = 48.2% (15 games)

1+ days = 53.7% (42 games)

That's certainly a noticeable difference. However, if you look closer at exactly how much rest he got, you see this:

0 days = 48.2% (15 games)

1 day = 55.5% (28 games)

2 days = 57.2% (6 games)

3+ days = 44.0% (8 games)

Basically, he's even more off when he's rusty. That eFG% for the 1/2 day rest is just nasty, though.

Quote:

So to me it seems like if we could get Josh Smith more consistent and get more steady production out of the center position (like a lot of people have said), we'd be in pretty good shape.

With better playmaking (penetrating, passing, shooting) from the point guards, the better will be the shooting percentages.

So a healthy Speedy and the development of Law means 6 to 12 more wins automatically.

Quote:

Anybody notice that we win more(and they each perform better) when Josh, Marvin, and Salim play less? Maybe injuries has something to do with this.

It is difficult for me to logically fit that thought in my understanding. That roster was never cohesive in my mind. Because of the constant injuries. So your statement seems fair.

Quote:

Anybody notice that we win more(and they each perform better) when Josh, Marvin, and Salim play less?

This is not necessarily true. These stats say that they played less in our wins than in our losses. It does not say that when they play less we win more. You have to remember that we had a lot more losses than wins.

For instance say that a guy has games of 24, 26, 27, and 28 minutes in wins, and 24, 24, 23, 38, 40, 22, 20, 22, 35 minutes in losses. Then it would say 26.2 minutes in wins, and 27.6 minutes in losses. But it would also say a winning percentage of 50% when he plays 25 minutes or more, and a winning percentage of just 14% when he plays less than 25 minutes. You have to be careful with stats.

These stats don't really mean that much. For instance when we're losing he's going to play the big guns more on average. The only ones that would be relevant to me are FG% and per minute stats.

To me the most amazing stat on there is JJ's 3pt%: 48.8% in wins, 30.6 in losses. Of course when you're losing you have to jack up more 3s, but near 49% in wins is amazing.

You guys are right about ZaZa but I believe you are piling on a little bit.No one seems to be commenting on our 5th pick from last season.I'm curious to know who thinks Sheldon's numbers will dramatically increase and who believes the guy is just a garbage guy.Those rebounding and shots blocked stats don't even put him in the garbage player category.Of course someone will bring up the last month of the season when the Hawks were playing teams that were out of the playoff race.If you are gonna say that ZaZa was inconsistent you have to say Sheldon was also.Neither one of them deserves a break in my opinion.Both must improve in order for the Hawks to win.Unfortunately I believe ZaZa is what he is.A decent offensive rebounder,low post scorer and below average defender and rebounder.That being said is the reason Sheldon must improve more than ZaZa next season.