• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ZaZa speaks

Zone034life

Hawks center Zaza Pachulia is currently playing with the Georgian national team in the EuroBasket qualifier tournament — a berth in next summer's Olympic games in Beijing on the line.

The Olympics may be a long shot, but he has a "good feeling" about the Hawks' chances to end a playoff-drought this season.

Your Turn

Do you have enough confidence in the Hawks to predict that they'll reach the playoffs next season?

Yes.

No.

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

* 'They know what I bring'

* Ex-comic book designer gives Hawks a new look

* Former NBA coach van Breda Kolff dies

More Hawks coverage

Pachulia spoke with AJC Hawks beat writer Sekou Smith by phone from Luxembourg.

Q. It's so easy to lose track of international players when the NBA season ends because so many of you guys head overseas to spend time with family and train with your respective national teams. But you were spotted at Philips Arena working out several times before and after the draft. What was that all about?

A. In June and July, I was working with my personal coach [from back home] in the states. At the end of July, I joined the national team and began working hard with them. And until now we've had training camp in France and we played a couple of tournaments to prepare us for what we're going to go through now. But it wasn't any different from the type of work I always put in during the offseason. This is when you do most of your really hard work to prepare for the regular season.

Q. You mentioned competitions, how did you play?

A. My last tournament in Bulgaria, I had 21, 39 and 37 [points], so you tell me how did I play [laughing]. Seriously, I really worked hard this summer, and I really took it up to another level in July. I used the tournament games to show myself what I needed to get better at and tune my game up. We're playing against good teams, so this is a really good experience for me because I'm getting ready for our [Hawks] training camp. So make sure Coach [Mike Woodson] knows I'll be ready for training camp.

Q. So much has been made about the Hawks' deficiencies at center the past few years, and the fact that they haven't gone out and found another one to add to the rotation. Do you think you're capable of stepping up and filling that void now?

A. Look, they know what I'm doing. They know me. I've been there two years, so they know what I bring. My main thing is to just keep getting better. I'm ready to step up. Of course, I'm ready. And I'm looking forward to playing some playoff games this year for sure. I feel pretty good about myself right now, and I feel really good about the team we have coming back.

Q. Playoffs? People reading this will assume that there was lots of good wine at that team dinner. Do you seriously think this team is ready for the playoffs with all the improvements other teams in the Eastern Conference have made in the offseason?

A. We know nothing is going to be easy. And we realize that everybody is trying to get better. I think our strength is the same thing that most people think is our weakness, and that's that we're a young team that is constantly improving. I think that's the one thing that separates us from some of these other teams, we're not going to be adding major pieces that we all have to adjust to. It's basically the same group of guys and we're all going to be a year older and more experienced, and better than we were last year.

Q. This core group of players has been together for two years now. How long does it take for the chemistry to finally come together for this team and starting showing itself on the floor?

A. It definitely helps to have those years together. I think the time is right now. We're of a good age. We don't have to wait until we're 30, and really, we can't wait. Time so goes fast. ... It's already my fifth year in the league. It's time for the team to have some success. I know everybody else wants to feel the playoff excitement. A lot of guys don't want to miss out on that feeling anymore. This age we are right now, with most of the guys 21, 22, 23 years old and up, it's the time to start the prime of your career. There shouldn't be any excuses.

Q. You had a rough time last season, losing your starting spot for a while before regaining it again near the end of the season. That had to be a blow to your ego after playing so well your first year with the Hawks. How did that shape your focus in terms of the way you attacked your offseason training regimen?

A. I wanted to work on my defense and work on my defensive rebounding in addition to continuing to work on my overall game. I'm pretty strong. I may not have big muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I'm a strong guy. But my strength and my defense is where I needed the work most, because there's a battle inside that three-second area every night and you have to be ready. I also had a conversation with Coach Woodson, and he told me what I needed to work on, and I was thinking the same way, so we're on the page. Now it's up to me to make sure the work is done and that I'm ready to go when we start training camp.

Q. Who is the one player you're eager to see on that first day of camp, the guy you think people should look to provide a spark for this team that he didn't provide last year?

A. I think we should expect more from Speedy [Claxton], because the injury he had last year robbed him of his opportunity to show people what he could do. Really, Marvin [Williams] is the same way. He had that injury early, and when that happens you spend the rest of the time trying to get back to speed within yourself, not to mention with your teammates. So I'm expecting big things from both of those guys. I know Josh Smith is working hard in Houston and is going to be better than he was. And Joe [Johnson] is always working. But really, it has to come from everybody. ... That's how success comes.

Q. You sound so much more confident than you did last season, particularly when you were going through your own struggles. You have a good feeling about this season don't you, like you know something the rest of us don't know?

A. I do. I have this feeling that this is going to be a big year. I have a feeling that we [the Georgian national team] are going to win all four games and qualify for the European championships. And I have feeling that we [the Hawks] are going to make the playoffs. I just know the hard work that has gone into all this and how much we, as a team, want it. I wish I could give you a better answer [as to why I feel that way], but I don't have the right words for it. I can't tell you why I feel that way. I just do.

Sponsored Links

I cant say exactly why, but this was def my favorite interview that Sekou has done this summer.

Sounds like Zaza has faith in Speedy and Marvin. That's good news considering he saw them in practice on a daily basis and has a better understanding of what they can do.

I liked what Z had to say in this interview. I do hope he's improved his strength and footwork in the paint. Again, at the end of last season his footwork on the offensive side of the court really improved. He showed a very nice drop-step and a better base (not off balance all the time). Hopefully that will translate into better footwork on the defensive side of the court. He just needs to spread out more on and get his arms wide.

Its really good to hear that he feels his defense is a weak point and that he wants to make it better. IMO, defense is more about desire than any other single factor. Its hard to play defense, so wanting to gives one the impetuous to expend the energy.

I expect Horford to start at center, but if Z can win the job in camp, then that would be great as well. FWIW, the starting center is going to be the guy that shows the most to Woody on the defensive side of the court, IMO.

What Z says in his interview is what many of us who have been reluctant to blast the team have been feeling.

inexperience and injuries to a larger degree have stunted the development of this team in the Win column.

with a little luck on the injury side of the coin I don't see why this team cannot be competitive on a nightly basis.

Quote:

...I expect Horford to start at center, but if Z can win the job in camp, then that would be great as well...

I would think it will start out the reverse - with Zaza being the incoming starter and Horford the rookie who has to take the spot from him. It should be a good contest and can only help the team in the long run.

Quote:

I would think it will start out the reverse - with Zaza being the incoming starter and Horford the rookie who has to take the spot from him. It should be a good contest and can only help the team in the long run.

You hit it right on with that point. thumb3d.gifIf Horford wants the job he has to earn it.Since ZaZa is the incumbent Horford really has to impress the coaches for them to bench a player who is young but experienced. If the Hawks players have a good attitude about it,nothing bad should come of there being better competition on the roster now.Some people react different to it though.

Zaza's not playing in the Olympics or the European Championship. He's trying to get his team promoted from Division B to Division A. His opponents right now are teams like Luxembourg, Cyprus, Iceland, I doubt he'll learn much in these games.

Quote:

I liked what Z had to say in this interview. I do hope he's improved his strength and footwork in the paint. Again, at the end of last season his footwork on the offensive side of the court really improved. He showed a very nice drop-step and a better base (not off balance all the time). Hopefully that will translate into better footwork on the defensive side of the court. He just needs to spread out more on and get his arms wide.

Its really good to hear that he feels his defense is a weak point and that he wants to make it better. IMO, defense is more about desire than any other single factor. Its hard to play defense, so wanting to gives one the impetuous to expend the energy.

I expect Horford to start at center, but if Z can win the job in camp, then that would be great as well. FWIW, the starting center is going to be the guy that shows the most to Woody on the defensive side of the court, IMO.

His physical limitation are his "Flat Feet". He can benefit from ballet. If he gets lighter on his feet he can be a top ten post scorer.

Quote:

I cant say exactly why, but this was def my favorite interview that Sekou has done this summer.

Yeah, I really like Zaza's optimism and it really sounds like he has faith in the progress the Hawks have made and that if they are all healthy they can make the playoffs. I kinda wish we would hear something like this from Joe or Josh Smith. It seems like they are kind of reserved about their expectations for the team.

I'm glad it didn't sound like there was any resentment at Horford being drafted or the talk about Shelden playing a lot of center. Zaza knows what he has to do and he wants to do it.

That interview definitely made me excited about the season.

"I have a feeling that we [the Georgian national team] are going to win all four games and qualify for the European championships. And I have feeling that we [the Hawks] are going to make the playoffs."

Like BigDirty said he's NOT even playing to qualify for the European championships. (this could be editorial mistake by Sekou too) Hopefully he knows what he's talking about when sharing his feelings about the Hawks & the playoffs.

sheep.gif

Georgia got beaten by Iceland 75-76 and most likely won't qualify for division A.

Georgia led 74-72 with 11 sec's to go when Zaza got to the FT-line, made the 1st, missed the 2nd (75-72). Iceland Guard Logi Gunnarson was fouled with 7 sec's left. He made the first FT (75-73), missed the 2nd, got the rebound himself, swings a pass to Jakob Sigudason behind the 3pt line and dang Georgia lost 75-76.

violin-1.gif