• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who is the teams most overrated player?

capstone21

Thank you for posting this topic!For all of you who argued with me on the other thread about how fans feel about Smooth I hope some of these people help you realize what I meant.Look at the number of posters who believe Josh Smith is overrated.So to say this guy is truely appreciated is untrue.I agree that his game isn't without flaws but he nor the Hawks have done enough for the National media to rate them at all.But capstone didn't say who the media overrates he said the fans.In my opinion it has to be:

1.Marvin Williams - Look at DJlaysitup's sig

2.Sheldon Williams - After one month last season many people expect alot of this guy.Not me!

3.Esteban Batista - This one surprised even me on the other thread

Simply put.If a player is drafted #2 in the draft and has not shown consistent drive on the court to be great and the fans of that team are forced to talk about potential and what they will see one day in the future then that player is overrated.AKA Marvin Williams

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Thank you for posting this topic!For all of you who argued with me on the other thread about how fans feel about Smooth I hope some of these people help you realize what I meant.Look at the number of posters who believe Josh Smith is overrated.So to say this guy is truely appreciated is untrue.I agree that his game isn't without flaws but he nor the Hawks have done enough for the National media to rate them at all.But capstone didn't say who the media overrates he said the fans.In my opinion it has to be:

1.Marvin Williams - Look at DJlaysitup's sig

2.Sheldon Williams - After one month last season many people expect alot of this guy.Not me!

3.Esteban Batista - This one surprised even me on the other thread

Simply put.If a player is drafted #2 in the draft and has not shown consistent drive on the court to be great and the fans of that team are forced to talk about potential and what they will see one day in the future then that player is overrated.AKA Marvin Williams

HAHA!!! you caught these fools in the act. i wonder what they gonna say now. who on our damn team is worth being rated besides smooth and jj....none CASE CLOSED

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm shocked that several of you can't seem to grasp the concept of "overrating" a player.

Let me put it this way - almost every poster on this board recognizes that Marvin Williams, at current state, has not merited his draft selection. Almost everyone agrees that he needs to be more aggressive, become stronger, and extend his range. Of course, there's considerable disagreement as to the extent of his potential, but that has virtually nothing to do with how Hawks' fans currently evaluate his game.

Again, virtually no one of HS claims Marvin is currently a great player.

Josh Smith, by contrast, has been labeled a great player (in some form or another) by numerous posters on HS. These labels are given to him despite the fact there are some, albeit manageable, concerns about his attitude, a complete inability to dribble, no post-up game, and mediocre man D.

While Exodus is right that Smith is one of only two players that would start on most teams, some of the posters on here would have you to believe much more about Smith.

That's what "overrating" is.

Quote:

I disagree on Salim.
You can't overrate a second round pick. Besides he is the only player on this team that could potentially have a 50 point game...including JJ.

Salim problem is that he doesn't get the minutes that would allow him to build consitency. He scores 30 one night, then gets a DNP the next night. Its like expecting a pinch hitter to hit homeruns, but only getting at bats once every 10 games.

LOL. You say you can't overrate a 2nd rnd pick then come back the next sentence saying he could have a 50 pt game?

Salim is being way overrated by the fans. I agree with the original poster because Salim can do one thing and that's jack up balls everytime he touches it and he's not even good at it. .. Only 42%FG and 38% three pt.

Until he ups that percentage 6-10% higher or play more efficiently he should not be playing more than 10 mins a game.

Quote:

...Salim is being way overrated by the fans. I agree with the original poster because Salim can do one thing and that's jack up balls everytime he touches it and he's not even good at it. .. Only 42%FG and 38% three pt...

I pretty much gave up on Salim after the stupid "clearpath" foul that lead to the 7-point possession that lead to the ridiculous 4th quarter Utah Jazz comeback at Phillips last year.

Can't blame the whole thing on Salim but that play was the spark.

• Moderators

I would say an All-Star player is a "great" player in the NBA. I don't think anyone on the Squawk thinks that Smith should have been an All-Star last season.

I do think that people see Josh Smith's progress and project that he has the potential to be a great player. In the same way, I think a lot of people view Marvin Williams as having elite potential. Both of those are projections - not evaluation of current play.

I don't think even Smith's biggest fan on this board thinks he is currently an elite player.

• Premium Member

Somehow, I get the feeling that you live in Raliegh, right next to Duke University and every day, you step out on your front yard and spit on the gates of the campus...

Am I warm so far?

Get over it man. I don't think that there's anybody here hyping Shelden as the next Nothing. Even I said that Shelden was the right pick at the time because of our lack of PFs on the roster. I still hold to that. That's not HYPING HIM.

The most Hyped player on this Message board is Smoove followed closely by Marvin. While Smoove can do something, the latter does NOTHING to deserve the hype. Therefore, if you want to talk about overrated, you need to get your facts in order.

Quote:

Get over it man. I don't think that there's anybody here hyping Shelden as the next Nothing. Even I said that Shelden was the right pick at the time because of our lack of PFs on the roster. I still hold to that. That's not HYPING HIM.

How was Sheldon the right pick when the Hawks picked another power forward in the draft the very next season? confused.gif I haven't been here long but even I can see you like Sheldon and hate Marvin Williams.It really doesn't matter becuase I'm not a big fan of either.Its funny how Smoove is the most overrated but he was the latest first round pick on the roster.Chilldress #6, Sheldon #5, Marvin #2 and both the rookies.Smoove is just given more credit than these other players becuase he has shown more on the court than all of them.He isn't overrated he just has outplayed the other top ten draft picks thus far. If you want to make a case for another one of the Hawks young players wait till they have outplayed Smoove.Of all the young players who has outplayed him?Give credit where credit has been earned.I don't give credit to a player who possibly will be a player, but I will to a player who is actually proving himself while he is on the floor.

• Premium Member

Wow...

Who looked into the future and said, "well you know next year, we're getting Horford."

The same reason that Shelden was the right pick at the time he was drafted is the very same reason that Horford was the wrong one.

We should have drafted Yi...No doubt hands down the right pick for several reasons... First and foremost because of his skillset and his size and speed.

The other reason is because we have enough 4s and 5s if you consider Smoove a 4.

Horford is going to turn out to be a 4 only. He, Marvin and Smoove will be jammed up until one of them leaves.. And like Marvin, he is a product of hype.

Back to Shelden.

When we drafted him... without the help of the crystal ball that you seem to use... We only had Al Harrington who was able (tested) as a 4. Moreover, Harrington was up to be resigned and there were rumblings that he might not resign with Atlanta. Shelden projected as the best 4 in the draft. Drafting Shelden was protection against being held hostage by Harrington. Moreover, he also gives us a mature player who can provide defense and rebounding in the frontcourt.

That my friend is the right pick to make at that time. We did not pick Roy for the same reason we didn't pick Jeff Green this year. Even though he looks really good on paper, if we choose him, where does he play? Roy would have duplicated JJ... Where would he have played. Even PTL knows he's not a PG (something we had to learn about JJ). So what do we do?? Continue with the Playstation approach to getting players... Just get a whole lot of 6'9" guys and call them whatever we want... OR do we finally start to consider our needs... Not considering needs is why we wasted the greatest draft opportunity in the history of this franchise and missed out on the best PG in the next 10 years.

I agree all the 6'9 players is getting a bit too much.You don't know how many times as a Hawks fan i've had to answer two questions:When are the Hawks geting a point guard? Why do they keep drafting 6'9 players? Those coming from Atlanta residents who would go to games and become fans if the gm,organization and product on the floor had rhyme or reason for some of its decisions.

As for Sheldon,every draft analyst I heard said Sheldon was drafted much to high.Brandon Roy aside,I would rather have Marcus Williams than Sheldon right now.I don't think New Jersey would do that trade though. But hindsight is 20/20. My problem with Sheldon primarily was what I seen from him on the floor last season.He could not control he was drafted by the Hawks but he could control his effort and play once he was on the team.

Quote:

Moreover, he also gives us a mature player who can provide defense and rebounding in the frontcourt.

This is my biggest problem with Sheldon.I agree that is why he was drafted and the Hawks needed that then and now.Did you see him playing good defense last season? He did'nt start rebounding consistently until the last month of the season.For someone who was looked at as NBA ready I expected him to rebound and play at least above average defense at the start of the season.I would have no bones to pick about Sheldons selection if he were tougher in the paint last season.Did you not hear Mike Woodson saying Sheldon is not giving them what he was drafted to do in the middle of the season when his minutes were scarse.When Solomon Jones showed more hustle and the willingness to go after shots when someone drove to the lane.King Solomon was a second round pick geting more run than the #5 overall because he hustled more than sheldon and showed Mike Woodson he could block shots.When your coach tells you need to foul more that is not a good sign.If you look at the highlights from last season when someone drove to the lane Sheldons defense was just as bad as ZaZa's.He also did not box out like his NBA ready tag suggested he would.

Pure hustle and the willingness to after peoples shots is the reason I like Josh Smith and Solomon Jones better than I do Sheldon and Marvin Williams. You have to earn my respect I don't just give it to a player because of potential,hype or draft status.Only Marvin and Sheldons play on the court can change my perception of them.