• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Biggest Hype Job of the past 5 drafts...

Diesel

I chose Adam Morrison but for me it's tied between him and Sebastian Telfair. As for the Hawks I couldn't pick any of them because I didn't expect them to do much more than they have. Overall though the biggest hype job ever despite peformance was Lebron James, but he wasn't on the list.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Telfair. As for the Hawks I couldn't pick any of them because I didn't expect them to do much more than they have.

Hype really isn't about personal expectation. Hype is about Media Bolstering.

I'd sat that easily the most hyped players of the past few drafts are: Bogut, James, Oden, Marvin, Darko, Durant, and Oden.

For some reason, these guys were made into the media's golden boys who could do no wrong and would be superstar players. Bogut and Marvin were supposedly head and shoulders better than everybody else in their draft. I heard "two man draft" so many times that it was surprising and sickening. The same is true of the past draft with Oden and Durant.

So hype is media pick.

Quote:

Quote:

Telfair. As for the Hawks I couldn't pick any of them because I didn't expect them to do much more than they have.

I'd sat that easily the most hyped players of the past few drafts are: Bogut, James, Oden, Marvin, Darko, Durant, and Oden.

For some reason, these guys were made into the media's golden boys who could do no wrong and would be superstar players. Bogut and Marvin were supposedly head and shoulders better than everybody else in their draft. I heard "two man draft" so many times that it was surprising and sickening. The same is true of the past draft with Oden and Durant.

So hype is media pick.

Looks like, your poll is too poorly designed to support what you want to prove, and its not for not trying.

Adam Morrison is the definition of media hype. Everyone knew this guy coming out of Gonzaga was a one trick pony. He was a scorer that did very little else on the basketball court and lacked athleticism. Morrison proved to be a not so hot shooter in his rookie year, and he also proved to be among the worst rookies when it came to defense, rebounding, and passing.

Quote:

For media hype it has to go to Lebron James with a very close second being given to Greg Oden. I remember analyst stating that the question wasn't if they would win a title but how long would it take and how many would they win? Now that's hype.

As far as Marvin and Bogut go. I think they were a result of being the most hyped of their drafts but for comparisons sake they probably aren't that close to even Durant. I mean, look at how many national games these guys are going to get(Oden & Durant) in their first years. How about Lebron? How many did Marvin and Bogut get? We still don't get any 3 years later.

Quote:

Adam Morrison? He had a rough first season but you can see where the hype was coming from. 6'8 wing player, a good shooter and scorer, who averaged 27 a game in college. Im going to say Durant and Oden.

Well, you can see where the hype is coming for Durant and Oden as well. First freshman ever player of the year with like 28 ppg. The other a freshman helping get his team to the national title game. I chose Morrison because of his fall off from College to Rookie season. Time will tell with the other guys. I chose Telfair because he was the great New York City point guard(overrated in it's own way) and had the Adidas thing going but has been traded multiple times already.

Darko by a LANDSLIDE !!

LeBron was the ultimate media hype job, but he could back it up.

The #3 pick, Melo, just won a championship.

The #4 pick, Bosh, was a freshman phenom out of GA Tech.

And the #5 pick, Wade, dropped a triple-double on #1 seed Kentucky, to get Marquette to the Final 4.

You not only have 4 all-stars in the top 5 of that draft class, those 4 players may be potential HALL OF FAME players.

There's no question that Darko's hype as the next great European player, elevated him to a status he had no business being.

Imagine the Pistons, with either Melo, Wade, or Bosh. That's scary.

Yet, they chose Darko.

As much as Yi was hyped, Darko was hyped even more, because people were absolutely convinced that this kid would be an all-star caliber player in 2 - 3 years.

He'll be lucky to be a low quality starting center.

I don't want to be rough on any of listed guys, because they are all good basketball players. Let's be fair and honest, we should all know better... it takes lot more to have success in the NBA... sure you need talent, but players also depend on many other things like: adjustments to the NBA and new systems, pressure, injuries...

We start judging young fellas from the moment they step on the court, why? Because of the hype (as you mentioned) created by NBA, agents, media, and god knows who else... People who would basically sell their mothers for money!

We should not buy that crap and we should understand that young players need time to develop (remember, guys on the list are 22 or younger), and we'll realize that few years down the line they will lead their teams and be all-stars...

• Premium Member

For some reason, I remember that at the time of his draft, there were some questions about James and weather he could live up to the hype. That itself is antihype. I believe that Oden and Bogut had much more hype associated with their picks... I mean, they were claiming Bogut to be the next Bill Walton. Hell, he never played anybody. I remember people claiming him to be better than Duncan.

And Oden... Sheez. If it were not for the dominance of Durant, the Oden hype would have been full throttle.

Oden, Durant Reminds me of James, Mello in a lot of ways.

• Premium Member

I think that there's also a mandate that the press be called out for placing guys up on a pedestal and not hyping other guys who may be worthy. For instance, nobody flinched when Darko was picked ahead of Mello or Wade. Why? Because the media had hyped Darko up as better than Pau Gasol and the next great player.

They soon forgot how Mello as a freshman had CARRIED Syracuse to the NCAA championship and won.

Darko without a question. After that particular Draft Lottery I remember Larry Brown Stating how great of a player he was and that if they had a kid like that he could help them immmediately. Things never materialized for Darko in Detriot however.

Then you have to keep in Mind that they passed on Carmelo Anthony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With Melo in Detroit they would have won 4 straight championships!!!!!