• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Your Atlanta Hawks: the Savior of ATL's Sports?

khaos7

The Braves are about to miss the playoffs for a second straight year. Even though we picked up Teixera, I still felt we didn't have enough pitching.

The Falcons look dreadful. With or without Vick, I didn't expect much this year. We're young on defense, the O-line must improve, the WR's still can't catch, the O and D must learn new schemes, and we lost Kearney.

It's beginning to look a lot like the sports scene in the ATL in the '80's. If we have to go back to the '80's (and boy it sure feels like we're headed that way), we need the Hawks to be what they were in the 80's in the ATL: the team that won the most and were the most consistant in the city. Once upon a time, all the city had was 'Nique, Spud, Doc, Tree, Whitman, Levingston, and Willis. The Braves had Murph and nothing. The Falcons had...nothing.

I believe the Hawks are in the best shape of the 3 primary teams (no I haven't included the Thrashers yet) in the ATL. I don't see much pitching in the Braves farm club coming up to make me believe that the second coming of Glavine, Smoltz and Avery is on the way.

I don't know if Vick's $130 million contract will prohibit us from signing his replacement and whose to say the "next big thing in college" (Brian Brohm perhaps) is going to be there for us to draft or even translate to a winner on the pro level?

For all of Billy's bungling and botching, one thing is for sure, the Hawks are young. We have tradable pieces. We have guys who can potentially become All-Stars (JJ, Smoove). We have guys who were highly touted in college (Marvin, Horford, Law). We have guys who are projected to become solid players in the league (Childress, Shelden). We have capspace.

Believe or not, even with this court decision looming, the Hawks are in the best shape of any team in the city long term. It is arguable, outside of the Braves, that they have the best shot at long term winning. The players are maturing. They are young. A tweak here and an adjustment there...a new coach...who knows? We may be looking at the East's Dallas Mavericks.

Point is, Scherholtz and Cox will be retiring soon. The Falcons are in a mess of a situation. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the Hawks will be the team of the future for the city of Atlanta. Sid Bream scored from second on a line drive in '92. The Falcons beat Minnesota in the dome in '98. Stranger things have happened.

I agree.Although the Falcons defense did play well enough to win.I'm going to start the draft Dennis Dixon bandwagon anyone is welcomed to join.Dixon was explosive last season but the Ducks had injuries and he was inconsistent.With him learning from last season he could bring the excitement back to the Georgia Dome.

• Moderators

Quote:

For all of Billy's bungling and botching, one thing is for sure, the Hawks are young. We have tradable pieces. We have guys who can potentially become All-Stars (JJ, Smoove). We have guys who were highly touted in college (Marvin, Horford, Law). We have guys who are projected to become solid players in the league (Childress, Shelden). We have capspace.

Yep. That's some major bungling and botching. Young, talented, inexpensive, potential All-Stars.

I don't think he's a genius but he deserves credit. This didn't happen by accident.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Yep. That's some major bungling and botching. Young, talented, inexpensive, potential All-Stars.

I don't think he's a genius but he deserves credit. This didn't happen by accident.

The Clippers had cap space and young players with potential for years before a recent run of respectability. I am waiting on actual results at this point before patting BK on the back.