• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What are the "holes" in Marvin's game?

TheNorthCydeRises

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be a #2 pick? He needs to improve on EVERYTHING. Dramatically. It's that simple. He doesn't do any one particular thing well enough to be content. Shooting, Post-Up, Defense, Shooting (the deeper the better), Handles (insert skill here)all need significant improvment. He's simply no better than average at anything. Some things below. The thing is he can be above average at most skills. It's his choice.

Better question...What does Marvin do adequately enough to not need to work on extendedly?

• Moderators

What is a "hole" in someone's game?

Assuming that to be an area in glaring need of improvement, I would label the following:

* Rebounding (because I think he is well short of where he can be here, not because I think he is Adam Morrison part 2 right now);

* 3pt shooting;

* Aggression on both sides of the floor;

* and Finishing in the paint.

I think everything about the game can continue to improve (such as handles, defense on the ball, defense off the ball, etc.) but that these are the most glaring areas for me.

I would be most satisfied to see the defense and rebounding improve immediately. Unlike the 3pt shooting, that is not a skill area so much as a mentality that I think would spill over into other areas.

• Premium Member

1. Aggressiveness. He's as aggressive as a Kitty kat. He should be taking the ball to the bucket...not shooting fallaway jumpshots. That doesn't mean plowing into folks either. He needs to learn to be in control of his body making a drive with his head up and eyes open just in case, there's a pass he can make.

2. BBIQ... I'm tired of seeing Marvin commit the same fouls and then raise his hand like a he has to go to the restroom

3. His low post scoring.

4. His perimeter shooting. 24% for a Sf is horrid.

5. His footwork. The footspeed just aint there.

Quote:

I just want to get a clear understanding of this, so that everybody is on the same page. This should be interesting.

1. Lack of a real position for him to excel at. At 6'9'' and 242 lbs he should play like he is that big in the paint but doens't have the heart or strength to.

He shoots like a SF but moves like a PF making him a defensive liability- segway to -

2. Defense - too slow to guard SFs, too weak and not enough of a mean streak to play PFs in the post

3. Rebounding - I never see him dive for loose balls like Chills and Smoove do. I rarely see him use his weight to box people out for rebounds.

5. Inability take the ball to rim effectively in traffic. Back to being too slow to go around or get by opposing SFs.

6. Lack of post game both offensively and defensively.

Marvin must learn to use his size and develop some strength to take advantage of the smaller SFs he will face most nights.

The alternative does not look good for Marvin. He could beef up and try to earn PF minutes away from Horford and Smoove (Ya right).

My main gripe is that he doesn't finish well around the basket. And there is no reason he can't do it better. He has a very long reach and has shown the ability to finish with both hands.

But he has an annoying habit of jumping into people to draw contact instead of just trying to finish. The thing is i have used this same tactic but for me it actually works. I have to do it because i can't jump at all so i need to clear space to finish over taller players. i can take the contact with no problem but contact throws Marvin way off. Hopefully this will be less of a problem as he gets stronger.

I am not really worried about his shot. I think his main problem is that he has a conscience. He is worried about missing or shooting too much. Good shooters have no conscience. They aren't bothered by misses they just keep shooting. I think marvins shot will come around.

• Premium Member

If he wanted a degree in African American History, he should have stayed in school.

Now is a time in his life where basketball should be a very high priority. I think the problem is his thinking is that of a student. He says things like I need to finish getting my degree in case this basketball think doesn't work out...

HUH?

It has already worked out. The only way it doesn't continue working out is if you quit!

Or things like:

I'm only 19, you shouldn't expect so much from me.

WTF...

DId I just read him make excuses for himself?? Where in the world does that play? Mr. Atlanta Spirit... I know that you've sunk about 14 million dollars into me... However, I can explain why we're still in the lottery. You see, I'm only 19. You're expecting far too much of me if you think that I have the ability to carry a team? I mean, Chris Paul is doing it, but he's 20 and Lebron James is doing it and has done it for 3 years, but he's 21!! I'm just young. I haven't started shaving yet. I have many years ahead of me and you can sign my next contract and I promise to do my dead level best to deliver more mediocre... until I hit 27. You know 27 is my lucky number. By then, I will be a great player!

Chill should take classes and better himself. Marvin should not because he is Marvin. In Diesel's view, whatever Marvin is doing is the wrong thing to do.

Marvin has put more work in this summer than Diesel has put into his entire life. But, Diesel says it's not enough.

Zone, your just as out to lunch. Unless someone is following Marvin around all day, then shut the hell up.

Quote:

How do you feel about Childress taking classes at Stanford?

Big difference.

Chills only needs a few classes to graduate and is a more developed player then is Marvin. Marvin needs 3 years as a full time student to graduate. Taking a class in the summer here, and another class there would take him 20 years to get a degree. Why even bother now. Develop the skill that is your profession. There will be plenty of time to get a degree. NBA men retire at the young age of 35 and are normally past their prime at 32. He better be siezing the day.

Marvin is as Raw as a #2 pick entering his 3rd year could possibly be. Work on your game Marvin ! Forget about history class for a little while.

I want to see a team with a mean streak, a team of fierce competitors. I know Law has it, I know Smoove has it, JJ has it too (he is never afraid of stepping up), I believe Horford has it too. Marvin needs to show that mean streak a big SF should possess. Opposing SFs should fear Marvin's size. If he does not show it, then Chillz should end games.

It is Marvin quiet demeanor and lack of fire that bothers people on this board.

• Premium Member

While Chillz took courses at GSU...I hope that he has also worked on his basketball without being prodded. You see, Chillz has been with basketball without borders for 2 years, before that he worked in the SoCal Games with other pros. And there is not as much to complain about in Chillz game.

Why does it have to be either basketball or take classes? He should be able to do both. I just did not like what he had to say about his b-ball activities. He made it sound like they were not a high enough priority. Like a coach had to remind him to do more.

The excuses he offered did not help the impression his words created.