• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ownership update

Zone034life

Quote:

We have all kinds here. i would say that overall the intelligence of the people here is much higher than that of people on most boards.

Yeah, in fact I agree, man. I was just kidding.

My favorite board on the whole web, even with the (sometimes) silliness.

That there can be such an active and entertaining board about the Hawks, given the situation the last few years, is amazing to me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote:

Agree. As I said above, once the case gets back to the lower court, the handcuff order probably expires under its own terms.

It is possible. I would just be speculating one way or another if I guessed, though. Ordinarily, an order would never reference the possibility of being overturned on appeal but this was entered after the ASG appealed the order so that makes it a lot more likely. Regardless, I think the odds are good that it will not be in place in the near future.

I would love for this entire mess to go away as quickly as possible. But what would it even be like to know for sure who actually owned the team?

I really can't remember what that was like - not since the Ted Turner days, really, because after that we had the corporate ownership, then the David McDavid thing, then the Atlanta Spirit blew up.

Anyway, I just hope they get it resolved quickly, although I'm a little nervous that the rest of the ownership group won't have enough money to run the franchise competitively after paying off Belkin.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I would love for this entire mess to go away as quickly as possible. But what would it even be like to know for sure who actually owned the team?

I really can't remember what that was like - not since the Ted Turner days, really, because after that we had the corporate ownership, then the David McDavid thing, then the Atlanta Spirit blew up.

Anyway, I just hope they get it resolved quickly, although I'm a little nervous that the rest of the ownership group won't have enough money to run the franchise competitively after paying off Belkin.

Someone will have to back me up on this, but I'm almost positive I remember reading that the Spirit had another investor lined up when they get the team. I don't remember where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure.

Is this a step toward settlement?

If so, that's good - - Hopefully.

But, until this thing IS made final, it's still a big mess.

Until one side is able to buy out the other side, where

is all that money coming from to pay all the expenses necessary? Who is going to pour millions into this, not

having any assurance of anything? No one.

There may be an investor willing and able to step in and

join the group - If and when their ownership is guaranteed.

But no one is going to do this if there is a chance that

Belkin may then step in and grab everything.

This is probably why the group may be handcuffed - They

can spend money - If they have the funds.

Apparently, the higher court has said, No, the lower

court ruling is wrong. That won't work. Here is the

entire thing - Take it back and start over. We have

the thought that this court was somehow in the pocket

of Belkin and now it's back to "his" cronies again.

Maybe things will now work out - - Maybe.

Like a daytime soap opera on T.V. it just goes on and on

and on and on.

uglyhammer.gif

Quote:

Someone will have to back me up on this, but I'm almost positive I remember reading that the Spirit had another investor lined up when they get the team. I don't remember where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure.

I read and have heard the same. Most of the talk is that Ted Turner is lined up to buy Belkin out and sit as an owner. It makes sense considering his son and son-in-law are presently co-owners.

Quote:

Quote:

I read and have heard the same. Most of the talk is that Ted Turner is lined up to buy Belkin out and sit as an owner. It makes sense considering his son and son-in-law are presently co-owners.

If that's true it would be absolutely incredible. That's pretty much the best result I could imagine.

Belkin has no momentum. The court has decided that Judge Johnson erred. ASG needs to quickly negotiated the settlement and go forward. The entire organization has to be relieved. Belkin is probably relieved too. I believe if Belkin settles, his future chances may be favorably. If he does not capitulate I believe Stern will not forget.

• Premium Member

Ever. When this craziness started, somewhere there was talk that the whole thing was just a showboat attempt by Belkin. They were saying that after this debacle, the NBA would never allow him to participate in the ownership of a franchise. I hope that they are paying attention to this nonsense.

Aside from what his intentions for the franchise were, Belkin has really dug a hole here. He has stood as an obstacle to the team's progress on every front, crippled us and put a stranglehold on our operations, and manipulated the legal system to completely demolish the safeguards built into the foundation of the partnership. How could his type of personal or business philosophy be good for any team?

If it's all the same whose money is invested into the NBA, I don't see how they would allow a guy like Belkin to ever own (or participate in the ownership of) a team. Instead of being a jerk and a crybaby, Belkin should have done the honorable thing and just stepped aside. An investment opportunity in the NBA surely would have come back around for him. But this whole saga shows what kind of a person Belkin really is and a lifetime snub from ownership in the NBA (which is apparently one of his biggest wishes) would only serve him right.