• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Initial impression: Kanye vs 50 new albums

Admin

Does anyone else have these 2 new albums yet? So far I have only listened to most of the Kanye album and I really like it. I have heard good things about the 50 album but I haven't had time to listen to it yet although I hope to this afternoon. Kanye is killing 50 in sales though right now but I think that has more to do with his appealing to a wider demographic than 50 with his style of music. Seems that we will soon find out if 50 is a man of his word or not and actually retire. Personally I wouldn't be terribly sad since his albums aren't must haves IMO but it would still be a shame to have it end this way over a bet he really had no chance of winning.

over the years, i considered myself to be a bigger 50 cent fan than a kanye fan.

that being said, i heard both cds and my initial review favors kanye's cd over 50 cent's cd. kanye's music is starting to grow on me.

i dont think 50 said he was going to retire. i think the bet was "if kanye outsells me, i wont come out w/ anymore solo albums... just appearences here and there for other rapper's cds." at least that is the impression i received. i dont think kanye will hold him to it. seems like a friendly competition to boost up sales.

ur right about kanye appealing more to the general public. kanye grew up in a middle class home and 50 is as we all know Mr "I got shot 9 times."

I would be so depressed if 50 cent retired. He is so musically gifted. I hope he is just joking so I won't have to suffer a life without his art. And Kanye. I wish he would go into politics. He has so much to offer there in my opinion. I think he is smarter and could do a much better job than Bush. hidesbehindsofa.gif

Quote:

I would be so depressed if 50 cent retired. He is so musically gifted. I hope he is just joking so I won't have to suffer a life without his art. And Kanye. I wish he would go into politics. He has so much to offer there in my opinion. I think he is smarter and could do a much better job than Bush.
hidesbehindsofa.gif

yeah, like telling all of us who hates black people.

perhaps he could start a Kanye-list.

• Premium Member

50 makes hit songs, but as a lyrical rapper he is horrible. Kanye is better lyrically but after his MTV tirade he's just a big baby.

I can't hardly listen to any mainstream rap anymore, all the underground cats are SO much better.

I agree on the 50 album, I think I really only like 2 songs on there and one of them is because of Akon and the other is because of JT and the awesome video game background track. That one song about him making so much money he can retire, well I hope it's true because if he is a man of his word he is done after this and it sure doesn't seem all that bad of a choice at this point after this album. It's a shame when someone puts out an album and more than half of the tracks feature someone else on it.

The Kanye album is much better to me. I really enjoy listening to it front to back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I got the new Kanye cd about a week before it was released and I thought it was horrible. I said there's no way this thing sells big. haha, was I wrong..but IMO, it proves that you can put out anything and sell it if you've got enough marketing behind it. Every song sounds like a continuation of the one before it, many of them sound like they're recycling the same drum loops from track to track. The whole thing was just so overproduced, it has no bite, no pop. I only found one or two songs that were kinda catchy, but I thought they dragged on so long that I just got tired of them, waiting for him to make something happen.

I'll admit, I'm a hard sell when it comes to rap. You gotta bring fresh beats and/or some hot lyrics or just something new to get me and this cd just failed to deliver anything I look for.