• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin Was the Right Pick jus at the Wrong Time!!

LastDon

I been watching baskeball a long time.. Believe it or not I remember Worthy... I vividly Remember about 4 years of worthy in his prime when I really understood the game. Vaguely remember seeing the games in the 80s and have since refreshed myself of him from watching classic sports.

I'm young (25) but a true basketball fan buddy. I have to be I'm a highschool basketball coach.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol...this thread is the funniest thing I've seen since I watched I think I love my wife last weekend. Let's not compare Acie Law to Deron or Paul. That is Marvins class and Marvins battle to show them up. Why would anyone want to loose? Like Herm Edwards " You Play To Win The Game."

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a loser with a losers mentality.

Quote:

Vaguely remember seeing the games in the 80s

Which is when he was in his prime. He was averaging 20 ppg shooting well over 50% from the field. He was also the CPOY in 82 and Finals MVP in '88.

He lost his legs quickly and wasn't the same player in the early 90s.

Marvin doesn't belong in the same sentence as Worthy.

Who is "they"? And who took "their" word for it?

No one with any authority claimed he would be Worthy with a jumpshot. That comparison may have been made casually here and there, but not responsibly. It was probably found on one of those draft websites run by teenage kids who never have seen any prospects in person.

If anything it may be a fair description of Marvin's ultimate upside potential. But it would be no different than saying something like Oden is Bill Russell with 3 more inches. Does anyone believe with great confidence that Greg Oden will be a bigger, better version of Bill Russell? Hopefully no one does, but someone may say it to describe his game's potential, even if it's completely unfair.

If anyone truly expected Worthy with a jumpshot from Marvin they were fooling themselves and should be ashamed, and any disappointment they post about here should be scoffed and poked fun at. "Worthy with a jumpshot" would describe one of the greatest forwards of all time.

There are some similarities, but can't we talk about similarities between players without professing that one guy is/should be/will be the next "other guy"?

The similarities:

Worthy and Marvin had almost identical freshman statistics, both played an interior forward position for UNC, and they have similar physical characteristics. They were used similarly in college (post [players), but the comparisons end there as so far Marvin has been used almost exclusively as a perimeter player in the NBA. Unless there's a drastic change in philosophy I don't expect Marvin to get many minutes in the post going forward.

Age-wise, Marvin's 3rd NBA season would be the equivalent of Worthy's rookie season. Worthy's rookie season numbers:

17.7 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.7 apg, 60% FG in 34 mpg.

The FG% will never be achieved by Marvin as a perimeter player, but the production may be pretty close this year.

His ball handling was suspect.He wasn't much of a perimeter shooter and he didn't have enought bounce to play in todays game. Alot of people view Worthy as being a power forward.

In todays game Worthy would be a tweener. You're acting like Worthy is Nique or Melo. He was okay but he can be easily compared to other players in today's games.

The point I would make about Worthy is that he was a gamer. When they needed scoring either he or Kareem was isolated with the ball in hand. I do not see Marvin having the mindset to be that player as long as he has someone to defer to. I do not expect much from him in the starting line-up with JJ, Smoove or any other dominant player. I support him dominating from the bench.

I hope I am wrong and that it's a Woodson offensive role definition issue.

Quote:

His ball handling was suspect.He wasn't much of a perimeter shooter and he didn't have enought bounce to play in todays game. Alot of people view Worthy as being a power forward.

In todays game Worthy would be a tweener. You're acting like Worthy is Nique or Melo. He was okay but he can be easily compared to other players in today's games.

You do lose all credibility with this post.

Worthy was as athletic as anyone on the Hawks roster now or then.

Quote:

My bad. I guess you just proved that Kareem and Malone would be useless by today's standards as well.

What Lastdon is too clueless to realize is that the rules today would make it easier for Worthy to score. Now if you face up a defender he can't touch you. Back then they could manhandle you.

The rule favors quicker players and Worthy was one of the quickest post players ever.

Quote:

Quote:

You do lose all credibility with this post.

Worthy was as athletic as anyone on the Hawks roster now or then.

he probably didn't even see Worthy until the played the Bulls in the finals and Worthy was injured. Kids these days. uglyhammer.gif

thread%20sucks.jpg

I would be ashamed to think that a guy who was never the man on any laker team expect for a year or so when magic retired is some type of player that others shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with other players.

A 17ppg career scorer who played with Magic... Take him off the 50 greatest list too and give the spot to Nique!!!!!

Quote:

I would be ashamed to think that a guy who was never the man on any laker team expect for a year or so when magic retired is some type of player that others shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with other players.

A 17ppg career scorer who played with Magic... Take him off the 50 greatest list too and give the spot to Nique!!!!!

More stupidity.

Toine scored 20 ppg here. How has he been scoring since he left?

JJ scored 25 ppg here but 17 ppg with the Suns and two time MVP pg Nash. Here his pg have been bums so his scoring should go down right?

Harrington scored 19 ppg here but 16.5ppg last year.

Put Worthy on an average team and he scores a lot more. Basic common sense.

Todays game... He was a good player that played with Magic. He is not a superstar. I guess Scottie Pippen was a superstar too?

Gosh... take your panties out of your butt and go buy a lakers Jersey and tell the whole world how you making this complimentary player(a great one) out to be Jordan!!! James Worthy... Please!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Todays game... He was a good player that played with Magic. He is not a superstar. I guess Scottie Pippen was a superstar too?

Gosh... take your panties out of your butt and go buy a lakers Jersey and tell the whole world how you making this complimentary player(a great one) out to be Jordan!!! James Worthy... Please!!!!!!!!!!

Both Worthy and Pippen are in the top 50 all time. They didn't get there just because they played with great players. Why aren't Byron Scott and Michael Cooper in the top 50 all time? They played with Magic so they should be in right?

pillepalle.gif