• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Media Day

Swatguy

Question to Woody: What will be this team's playing personality this season?

Question to Alton Lister: You were a very good defensive player in the league. What techniques will you use to help our young big men optimize their offensive skills?

Question to Josh Smith: What did you learn from Calvin Murphy and why did you seek out the coaching of a former PG?

• Moderators

Quote:

Question to Alton Lister: You were a very good defensive player in the league. What techniques will you use to help our young big men optimize their offensive skills?

Question to Josh Smith: What did you learn from Calvin Murphy and why did you seek out the coaching of a former PG?

Good questions, here are some similar but slightly different ones I ask:

Question to Woody: What offensive system should Hawks fans expect to see this year?

Question to Josh Smith: Did you work on post moves on the offensive end of the floor this offseason?

Question to Drew, Woody or other coach: Given Law's experience and the number of options at PG, do you expect Law to have a shot at starting this season or do you expect to bring him along behind the team's veteran PGs?

Question to Wood or other coach: From what you have seen on film and in person, do you expect Horford to get signicant minutes at the center position this season?

Quote:

Uptempo

Quote:

To take advantage of the opponent. Faceup a bigger/slower, post a smaller

Horford is "Big". May not have lifted more than Shelden but he is bigger (arms and all). Solomons arms seem longer than possible.

BK is the boss.

Injuries prevented the uptempo offense that began with the first 5 games.

The collective enforcer approach is emphasized.

4 guys are invited, there is no pressure to sign the #15 player.

Rotation may be 11 deep.

That is it from me. spin.gif

By Sekou K. Smith

October 1, 2007 6:21 PM | Link to this

No news at media day (other than to say that everyone reporter without any injuries for the first time in a while - knock on wood now for you doomsday cats).

The real drama kicks off in the morning, of course. But if you assumed guys are coming into this camp tense about jobs and about who contributes where, you’re right. They understand it the way we all have the past few years. When you’re thin on depth and talent, the incumbents have a much more comfortable time of things.

But now that Al Horford and Acie Law IV have joined the fray, the competition kicks up to another level. Those guys are hungry, too. They all are. Everybody wants minutes and everybody wants starting jobs.

That means more competition at practice and shorter hooks for guys that don’t perform. Without any built-in excuses for faltering (youth, injuries, etc.) the Hawks will be forced to deal with the reality that this team has the pressure of showing itself early.

They don’t have the luxury of developing an identity over the first couple months of the season and then coming into their own. They’ll have to show it from the start and do it consistently or risk having the entire thing picked apart.

But that’s the type of pressure several guys said they crave. Josh Smith, in particular, said he’s waited for the raised expectations to hit this team. He knows that the external and internal push that comes with those expectations is what will fuel this team, if it is indeed ready to step up into the mix for playoff contention (still a huge question mark in my mind).

But on the workout front (per one of my spies), Marvin Williams packed on seven pounds of muscle and has been impressive. Lorenzen Wright came back to the team in top shape. And both Horford and Law have made lasting early impressions on their teammates - the buzz about both potentially breaking into the starting lineup this season is already there.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But on the workout front (per one of my spies), Marvin Williams packed on seven pounds of muscle and has been impressive.

Must have been from lifting his college books, because we all know he wasn't working on his game this offseason.

• Premium Member

Quote:

But on the workout front (per one of my spies), Marvin Williams packed on seven pounds of muscle and has been impressive.

I wonder why reporters and coaches are alway making positive comments about Marvin and just about every reports? Are they just trying to piss off Diesel and Walter to get the Message board stirred up? Or do they see things that some Board members try not to see? scratchchin.gif