• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The truth about Childress

exodus

I keep hearing from the resident Marvin basher that Childress should be starting instead. Does he have a case?

Last season Childress played 36.8 minutes per game. Some would say that playing so many minutes may have lead to problems with both feet. Realistically he should probably be playing fewer minutes due to his history of foot problems.

When he has started the last two seasons he hasn't exactly been stellar. In fact his shooting percentage was 7% lower as a starter last season. it was a full 15% lower as a starter the previous season. For whatever reason he seems to play better off the bench.

Last but not least his PER has been significantly higher at the 2 spot the last two seasons.

So why start him at the 3 when he doesn't play as well there and doesn't perform as well as a starter? scratchchin.gif

Quote:

I keep hearing from the resident Marvin basher that Childress should be starting instead. Does he have a case?

Last season Childress played 36.8 minutes per game. Some would say that playing so many minutes may have lead to problems with both feet. Realistically he should probably be playing fewer minutes due to his history of foot problems.

When he has started the last two seasons he hasn't exactly been stellar. In fact his shooting percentage was 7% lower as a starter last season. it was a full 15% lower as a starter the previous season. For whatever reason he seems to play better off the bench.

Last but not least his PER has been significantly higher at the 2 spot the last two seasons.

So why start him at the 3 when he doesn't play as well there and doesn't perform as well as a starter?
scratchchin.gif

Oh you can DEFINITELY make a case for Chill starting over Marvin. It's just that we pretty much know what Chill is going to bring to the table as an offensive player. He'll never be the type to develop an off-the-dribble jumper, or be able to rise up above people and knock down a jumper. Chill's offensive game is limited to knocking down wide open jumpers, and slashing to the hole.

Now, if Chill became a Manu Ginoboli type offensive player who could slash, and knock down the 3-pointer at a very high percentage, then Chill should definitely start. But once again, he'd have to get a wide open look from 3.

Chill's minutes should be reduced. But heck, everybody had to play heavy minutes last year, because of the injury situations. Even if Chill were the starter, I wouldn't want him playing more than 31 minutes a game.

And his 7% drop in shooting was a direct correlation of JJ being out of the lineup. Without a guy who can draw a double-team, and leave Chill open in the corner, his shooting dropped when he tried to create offense for himself, but couldn't get to the hole.

Marvin has more upside, and greater potential to be a much better offensive player. But as of last season, Chill was better than Marvin, because Chill is a much more active player on the floor.

The case can definitely be made in favor of Chill over Marvin, no doubt on that. Chill is just our version of Shane Battier. A nice glue guy to have on the team, bue doesn't have the ability to even remotely become a potent offensive player in this league.

Defensively he isn't. Offensively, he's definitely better than Shane. Remember, Shane gets a TON of open looks from 3, because of T-Mac's ability to not only draw double teams, but also because T-Mac is an excellent passer/playmaker.

Shane is a much better defender and 3-point shooter. Chill is a much better slasher, passer and rebounder.

Both guys are destined to have long careers in the NBA, but both will be no more than good to great complimentary players who won't have a lot of plays ran for them on offense.

Quote:

Quote:

Marvin has more upside, and greater potential to be a much better offensive player. But as of last season, Chill was better than Marvin, because Chill is a much more active player on the floor.

The case can definitely be made in favor of Chill over Marvin, no doubt on that. Chill is just our version of Shane Battier. A nice glue guy to have on the team, bue doesn't have the ability to even remotely become a potent offensive player in this league.

[/indent]

Well said.

Quote:

Chill is a much better slasher, passer and rebounder.

I don't see Chill as being anything but an average passer.

His slashing ability is hindered by the fact that his defenders can play off him due to his low release. Plus he doesn't have a quick first step.

What Chill does well offensively is move without the ball and find openings in the D, especially inside. But he can't create for himself at all.

They definitely played off of him when JJ went down. Chill almost always needs to be with a good creator, in order to maximize what he does well. Without JJ to get him the ball when open, he was definitely limited offensively. Smoove even gets Chill the ball in the offense. But when JJ went down, Smoove had to become the "go-to-guy" in the offense.

That's kind of why I was all for bringing Marvin off the bench last year, so that he could possibly develop his offensive game as the "go-to-guy" with the 2nd unit, or during those times in which both JJ and Smoove were out the game. That's how the Raptors brought along T-Mac in his 2nd year, before he really showed flashes of greatness in his 3rd year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Agreed, but I do expect that gap to be closed quickly this season. I just don't see a lot of room for improvement on Chill's end. (That's actually a compliment of how well he's maxed out his abilities).

Plus, you have to consider that Marvin has one extra year left on his rookie contract, so if he closes that gap, there's no question he'll be seen as the starter long-term.

Childress went to college for three years. Last year was his 3rd year as a pro and he got 37 minutes per game. He gave us a whopping 13 ppg. That just doesn't cut it unless you are a really good defender.

I can't see him being a starter on a good team. Most likely he is a career backup.

That's kind of why I was all for bringing Marvin off the bench last year, so that he could possibly develop his offensive game as the "go-to-guy" with the 2nd unit, or during those times in which both JJ and Smoove were out the game. That's how the Raptors brought along T-Mac in his 2nd year, before he really showed flashes of greatness in his 3rd year.

Bringing Marvin off the bench for that reason makes sense. He could be the stud on the second unit while Chill would do the little things for the starters. But that will never happen.

I think there is the potenial for the second unit to develop a dynamic team that will be fun to watch.

Quote:

His slashing ability is hindered by the fact that his defenders can play off him due to his low release. Plus he doesn't have a quick first step.

What Chill does well offensively is move without the ball and find openings in the D, especially inside. But he can't create for himself at all.

...and don't let Chillz throw the ball in at clutch time eheheh.gif

The real problem is (IMO)...both of them have been sub-par as far as starters on a decent NBA roster. Both are flawed. That creates the arguments (that go on endlessly by the way). The 3 is an important position...especially on a team without a dominant 5.

Quote:

Childress went to college for three years. Last year was his 3rd year as a pro and he got 37 minutes per game. He gave us a whopping 13 ppg. That just doesn't cut it unless you are a really good defender.

I can't see him being a starter on a good team. Most likely he is a career backup.

Wait, but he is as good as Deng and Iggy . . .

uglyhammer.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Chill is a much better slasher, passer and rebounder.

I take issue with the same points. Battier is a complete player, one of the most complete I've ever seen (you have no idea how sick that makes me to admit). Passing, rebounding? The least of my worries if I have Battier on the floor for me.

Childress has better hops.