• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Atlanta/Orlando game thread

gsuteke

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't consider this a good victory.

Howard went out of the game with 7 1/2 minutes left on the clock... Orlando was up by 9.

He had dominated the post all game long.

If we're going to be contenders, we got to do better!

This is bull. Their best player played 28 minutes, our best player played 27. And after Dwight went out, we had 4 bench guys and Marvin. It was basically backups vs backups.

I agree that the win means very little, but last night sounded great for our whole team (except for defending Dwight), particularly Smith, Marvin, Chill, Horford and Law.

JJ left the game for the final time, with 3:56 left to go in the 3rd quarter.

SCORE: ATLANTA 62 - ORLANDO 58

biggun.gif

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Was the Orlando first team on the floor for the final 8 minutes?

No. Also, there was no Speedy and JJ on the floor during that time.

- ZaZa came out at the 7:33 mark

- Smoove finally came out at the 2:53 mark, and we were still down 3.

Why are you guys justifying a pre-season result to this guy? Don't you know what this guy's agenda is by now?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why are you guys justifying a pre-season result to this guy? Don't you know what this guy's agenda is by now?

I sense there will be alot of payback from members of this board that have been told how bad the Atlanta Hawks are over and over and over again from a select few over the past couple of years.

I think the abuse may get as relentless as theirs has been.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're right.

(( aiming the lazer cannons at Diesel's "agenda" ))

biggun.gif

• Premium Member

So let me get this straight...

Orlando took out it's first squad and left in the second team.... and we left Smoove in til 253... and we're bragging about the outcome.

First off all, Orlando's second team is NBADLers... Augustine played in the NBADL. Arroyo messed up the game last night and he's the only legitimate player that was on the floor. There was no Howard. There was no Lewis. There was no Nelson. There was no Foyle. There was no Battie.

JJ Redick played a career high 31 minutes last night.

I'm not saying that there wasn't things that we shouldn't be proud of from last night's game. I'm just saying before you go out saying we won, we won, we f---- won.. you need to look at who was on the floor when we won.

Try this..

Which scenerio would you be happier with:

1. We were winning a preseason game up until the 8 minute mark and Woody subbed out all of our starters and left in every 2nd and 3rd teamer he could find and we ended up Losing.

2. We were losing a preseason game up until the 8 minute mark when the other team subbed out all of their starters and left in every 2nd and 3rd teamer that he could play and we ended up winning.

Which scenerio makes you happier.

Diesel

the Hawks are obviously much better this year that Orlando game aside.

Acie Law looks like he's ready to contribute, as does Al Horford. Josh Smith is a star in the making. Joe looks like he finally has some help. What was wrong with Speedy's knee finally got figured out.

The excitement on this board has more to do with the reasons outlined above than the typical we're 0-0 fever every fan gets before the season starts. The excitement on this board has even less to do with the Orlando game, it was just verfication that what we thought we knew looks to be true.

The Hawks are going to win this year. I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of the ride.

Quote:

Orlando took out it's first squad and left in the second team.... and we left Smoove in til 253... and we're bragging about the outcome.

First off all, Orlando's second team is NBADLers... Augustine played in the NBADL. Arroyo messed up the game last night and he's the only legitimate player that was on the floor. There was no Howard. There was no Lewis. There was no Nelson. There was no Foyle. There was no Battie.

I'm not saying that there wasn't things that we shouldn't be proud of from last night's game. I'm just saying before you go out saying we won, we won, we f---- won.. you need to look at who was on the floor when we won.

Try this..

1. We were winning a preseason game up until the 8 minute mark and Woody subbed out all of our starters and left in every 2nd and 3rd teamer he could find and we ended up Losing.

2. We were losing a preseason game up until the 8 minute mark when the other team subbed out all of their starters and left in every 2nd and 3rd teamer that he could play and we ended up winning.

• Premium Member

I think we're a whole lot deeper... but if you're saying we can beat them in a 5 or 7 game Series...

I don't know.

No matter how deep we are, rotations usually go 8 maybe 9 deep. So that fact that Solomon is better than qwerty uiop doesn't mean much.

The series will be decided by the first five matchups. So far, it looks like we have no match up for Howard and we all know that Lewis (and JJ) were having off nights. Strength vs. Strength, us versus them would be a good matchup. Hard to call!

Well we can compete with them. Plus we have more young talent than them hands down. They just happen to have perhaps the best Center in the league over the next 5 years.

Can we beat them in a 7 game series? I don't know. Probably not today but ask me again in February.

That doesn't take into consideration how good these guys will all be when they're 25 and they've played together for 3 to 5 years.

Quote:

I think we're a whole lot deeper... but if you're saying we can beat them in a 5 or 7 game Series...

I don't know.

No matter how deep we are, rotations usually go 8 maybe 9 deep. So that fact that Solomon is better than qwerty uiop doesn't mean much.

The series will be decided by the first five matchups. So far, it looks like we have no match up for Howard and we all know that Lewis (and JJ) were having off nights. Strength vs. Strength, us versus them would be a good matchup. Hard to call!

I actually like your post. You detailed how you think I look at Marvin and also told how others(i'm assuming you as well) look at Marvin. Yes I do expect alot of Marvin because when he was drafted he was hyped as the next big thing. I don't like being sold a bag of goods. Neither do I like when someone is critical of me for holding a player to high standards. Especially when that players purpose for being drafted was to be a star not just a good player. If they wanted just a good player they should have traded down or traded the pick all together. The Mario Williams anology was a good one. But how can you blame texans fans for comparing him to reggie bush? You can't! Especially when your franchise has been so bad for so long a high draft pick can't just be a good player for you.

Me and many Hawks fans will never agree about Marvin or Sheldon Williams because I will hold these players to high standards. If you decide to be alrite with a player being average at best(which is what both of them have been) then that is your business. Enough talk about these underacheivers, How about Acie Law coming up clutch in his debute? Gotta be excited about this guy!!!

• Premium Member

IF we wait too long, we might lose them anyway.

In order to be an effective GM, every GM has to see his players are acquisition and not immovable guys whom they have fell in love with.

At no time should anyone be untradable because this is not about liking one guy this is about making the team championship quality.

Just because we drafted a guy doesn't mean we have to hold on to them until.... Especially when we have logjams and needs.

what needs? we need a legit Center but nobody is going to trade you theirs.

Quote:

IF we wait too long, we might lose them anyway.

In order to be an effective GM, every GM has to see his players are acquisition and not immovable guys whom they have fell in love with.

At no time should anyone be untradable because this is not about liking one guy this is about making the team championship quality.

Just because we drafted a guy doesn't mean we have to hold on to them until.... Especially when we have logjams and needs.

Quote:

Try this..

First off Diesel, I could've cared less if we'd won that game on Monday night. It's preseason. In preseason, I only look at how individual players play, not necessarily how the team plays.

Second, I'm the one who started the "Get the starters outta there" part of this thread, when I saw Smoove and Marvin still in the game with 5 minutes to go. I wanted BOTH of them out of the game, to prevent some freakish injury occuring to one or both of them against the Magic scrubs.

All I was doing, was pointing out the FACTS of the game to you. You were under the assumption that if Howard stays in the game, then we wouldn't have won. Well, on the flip side of that, if JJ stays in, we maybe would've won even with Howard dominating.

Diesel, these are glorified scrimmage games, and they should be viewed as such. These games, especially the first few games, will NOT resemble how the Hawks play or rotate players in and out of games. I think JJ took a total of 3 shots in the first half. You'll never see that in a regular season game.

So if a player plays well or struggles in a preseason game . . OR IN A SCRIMMAGE IN PRACTICE . . people shouldn't overanalyze either performance. Now if he consistently plays well, that's a good thing. If he consistently struggles, that's a bad thing.

But I'm not the one to get all emotional over the good and the bad during preseason. I just don't want anybody to get hurt.