• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marvin vs. Smoove: The "IT" Factor

khaos7

• Moderators

Quote:

I certainly hope you're right. Perhaps he will prove me wrong. I just don't see that special intangible we call "it" in his game.

He is going to have to assert himself a lot more for this, IMO.

Quote:

I certainly hope you're right. Perhaps he will prove me wrong. I just don't see that special intangible we call "it" in his game.

LOL . . anything to dog Marvin. It's a shame.

As far as "IT" goes, Josh Smith doesn't have "IT" . . "yet". He just makes more exciting plays ( dunks and blocks ) than Marvin does, because he is more athletic.

None of you would've typed this about Smoove a year ago. Like Marvin going into his 3rd year, there were a lot . . A LOT of questions about Smoove going into his 3rd year. He put a lot of those questions to rest in year 3. I think Marvin will do the same.

And let's not forget this about Smoove. He blew up as a player statistically, when JJ was out. The question now becomes, can he play at that high of a level on a consistent basis, with a healthy JJ in the lineup?

Does Smoove play with more passion and desire than Marvin? Of course. But Salim Stoudamire arguably plays with more passion, than anybody on the team.

As I'm typing this with 6 minutes in the 2nd quarter, both Marvin and especially Smoove, seem to be struggling with Miami's frontline. Both have 2 fouls and 3 turnovers. Marvin has 6 points and no rebounds. Smoove has no points and 5 rebounds. BOTH players must become more consistent on a nightly basis before saying one or the other has "IT".

Quote:

Quote:

As far as "IT" goes, Josh Smith doesn't have "IT" . . "yet". He just makes more exciting plays ( dunks and blocks ) than Marvin does, because he is more athletic.

None of you would've typed this about Smoove a year ago. Like Marvin going into his 3rd year, there were a lot . . A LOT of questions about Smoove going into his 3rd year. He put a lot of those questions to rest in year 3. I think Marvin will do the same.

And let's not forget this about Smoove. He blew up as a player statistically, when JJ was out. The question now becomes, can he play at that high of a level on a consistent basis, with a healthy JJ in the lineup?

Does Smoove play with more passion and desire than Marvin? Of course. But Salim Stoudamire arguably plays with more passion, than anybody on the team.

As I'm typing this with 6 minutes in the 2nd quarter, both Marvin and especially Smoove, seem to be struggling with Miami's frontline. Both have 2 fouls and 3 turnovers. Marvin has 6 points and no rebounds. Smoove has no points and 5 rebounds. BOTH players must become more consistent on a nightly basis before saying one or the other has "IT".

uglyhammer.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

uglyhammer.gif

Great post. Even JSmooveFemaleFan was left speechless.

• Premium Member

Quote:

And let's not forget this about
Smoove. He blew up as a player statistically, when JJ was out.
The question now becomes, can he play at that high of a level on a consistent basis, with a healthy JJ in the lineup?

I have already proven this completely false.. link

The only bad month Smith had was in November.

• Premium Member

Quote:

None of you would've typed this about Smoove a year ago. Like Marvin going into his 3rd year, there were a lot . . A LOT of questions about Smoove going into his 3rd year. He put a lot of those questions to rest in year 3.

Diesel on the Hawks in 2005...

Quote:

Reggie is called a star and a franchise player, but really, Reggie was the biggest ROLE player that there ever was. Think about it. If Nobody ever set the pick for Reggie, he couldn't have hit big shots. He would be a good shooter, but not what we recognize as a Franchise player. In many instances, while he was playing, Reggie was snubbed as being one dimensional. However, that was his game.

Now, if you want truth...

If All Josh Smith ever does is finishes... and he develops a halfway decent shot, he will become a star. He already has the charisma. He's the slam dunk champion. He can ride the same wave that JRich is riding...

Josh Childress, definitely has the ability to be the leader. That's different than the star... I don't think JChill will be recognized for his play as a star because he's so versatile. Sometimes, Versatility is a bad thing... What I mean is that there won't be people going to buy his Jersey because he would be that Utility guy that can do everything good (but nothing exceptional).. Still.. He's more prone to be the best all around player we have.

I think that JJ could be a star of the magnitude of Pierce or Vince IF he moved to SG and we got a real PG. Being a PG won't let him close out the way that a star should close out.

Al is not a star neither is he a leader. It's unfortunate. BUT Al is a guy who fits very well into the needs of this team. He's an athletic Pf who has a good offensive game. I don't see us stressing defense anywhere so I see no reason why we shouldn't keep Al. I think Al will do what he does better than anybody else on this squad NOW or in the future.

Marvin.. Well, you know what I feel about him. I think he's going to be bench fodder for at least the next 2 yrs. I think the only reason we got him was the HYPE AND BK's insecurity of Smoove... If BK knew that Smoove was a sure thing, then We would have Deron right now.

The difference between Josh and Marvin is that Josh has had THREE years in the league. Marvin has had TWO

Remember Josh didn't emerge until his 3rd season.

He showed promising sings at the end of the 2nd season which is exactly what Marvin did last year

Let's not write Marvin off just yet guys

Give him a chance

Smoove has always had it, plus it's his hometown.

Marvin was the number 2 pick, So he should expect to be ridiculed more than anybody , regardless of his age or how many years he has been in the league that is not an excuse anymore. It's time for him to show up, no more babying for him. We need him to step up if we want to be in the playoffs any time soon.

• Moderators

Quote:

The difference between Josh and Marvin is that Josh has had THREE years in the league. Marvin has had TWO

I am far from writing off Marvin but Josh's rookie year was much better than Marvin's and his sophmore year was likewise much better than Marvin's. There is more difference between them than length of time in the NBA. Hopefully Marvin can step it up, work together with Smith well this year, and render the comparisons a moot issue.

Quote:

Remember Josh didn't emerge until his 3rd season.

He showed promising sings at the end of the 2nd season which is exactly what Marvin did last year

Let's not write Marvin off just yet guys

Give him a chance

In fairness, Smoove did not have the benefit of a year of college basketball and the coaching at UNC that Marvin had. I am almost certain UNC has better coaches then the Hawks.

Plus, when you are a very high lottery pick there are expectations that are not there with non-lottery selections.