New Sekou blog

thesheedera

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

But that’s where the Hawks’ problems will begin on defense this year. Even with their upgrades in the post, they’re still going to too light to handle the league’s remaining battleships (Shaq, Dwight Howard, etc.). It’s clear after watching these first two preseason games that another big man added to the mix (a veteran big man, a real vet and a real big man) is not only needed but a necessity.

I feel like i have been saying this forever. I guess, unlike a lot of posters here, he doesn't see Horford filling that role.

Quote:

Quote:

But that’s where the Hawks’ problems will begin on defense this year. Even with their upgrades in the post, they’re still going to too light to handle the
league’s remaining battleships
(Shaq, Dwight Howard, etc.). It’s clear after watching these first two preseason games that another big man added to the mix (a veteran big man, a real vet and a real big man) is not only needed but a necessity.

I feel like i have been saying this forever. I guess, unlike a lot of posters here, he doesn't see Horford filling that role.

These two games were against the two remaining battleships of the league. Is there any center in the league who can handle them? Can we get any of them for Marvin/Chillz or even Smoove? Are they going to be better than what we already have? How many Lo can we load into the team? Lets see how our team does against some normal centers, against whom we have to play 70+ games.

Quote:

Quote:

Lets see how our team does against some normal centers

You mean like Curry, Yao, JO and Big Z? We got worked by Chandler and Daly last year.

Horford will play them better than Zaza and Lo (not saying much. On top of that he will burn them on the other end. If Amare can play D on them, why can't Horford? Overall our speed will give us such an advantage over these slow footed/injury prone centers that we should be able to take advantage of them. Our quickness will put them in foul trouble in just about every game. Look at the number of free throws we are already getting.

the problem is who? who can we get to fill that space? there are not a lot of decent big man who can fill that need for us..the only one we could afford or even get would be someone who essentially is not good but is big....and that person would not succeed in our rungun offense...so that means we be getting an end of the bench fat guys for occasional instances.

I agree that it would be nice to have a big 7-footer to bang with those two guys, but the reality is that we don't. And I don't think it's that big of a deal.

The reality also is that they're not that easy to come by. Someone post a trade or a FA that would fill the roll, then we can have this debate. What magical big-man does everyone want? Lorenzen Wright? We got him. Kevin Willis? I think a guy like Eric Dampier would be a great fit, but a guy like that makes $10mil a year.

So in the end it looks like Al, Shelden, ZaZa, and the Hawks might have a little trouble defending Shaq and Dwight Howard. I think they'll be alright against the likes of Eddy Curry and Emeka Okafor.

Quote:

Kwame and Haywood are probably available...They may have bad attitudes but both of them have reputations as good defenders around the league and both are still relatively young. Would BK consider swapping Zaza for one of them?

Haywood won't be available for a long time since Etan Thomas is having heart surgery.

Quote:

and that person would not succeed in our rungun offense.

First of all we don't have a run and gun offense. This speculation about us being like the Suns is just the typical preseason delusion.

Secondly i don't think Nene has much trouble playing in Denver and they play faster than anyone in thin air.

We could have had Diop or Pryz (twice) as free agents but as far as i know didn't make offers for either.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

You mean like Curry, Yao, JO and Big Z? We got worked by Chandler and Daly last year.

That is what zone defenses are designed to protect against. Also you can trap the ball out of the post. The Hawks have not been in a zone or trapping in the 1st 2 pre-season games. You'll see more agressive defenses in the regular season. I'm not worried!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is what zone defenses are designed to protect against. Also you can trap the ball out of the post. The Hawks have not been in a zone or trapping in the 1st 2 pre-season games. You'll see more agressive defenses in the regular season. I'm not worried!

Yeah a zone make a lot of sense since it makes it tougher to get defensive rebounds, just what a "running team" needs.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah a zone make a lot of sense since it makes it tougher to get defensive rebounds, just what a "running team" needs.

Won't be against all teams and won't be 100% against teams with dominate big men! Also double teams in the post are effective against poor shooting teams like Miami.

Diop was restricted, and Dallas exercised their option. And didn't Przybilla (he of 16min, 2.0pts, 2.9 fouls for $6mil) leave Atlanta not really wanting to come back? I just seem to remember him not enjoying his brief time here. Plus, I'm glad he's not on the Hawks' books for 7.5mil in 2010-11. Before that BK (who I hate to defend) passed on Kenyon Martin. Wouldn't it be great to have him around? 60mil for the next 4 seasons. That be great.

Last year we got Lorenzen Wright. That was the best out there for the $$ the Hawks have.

Whatever, I like our chances with the guys we got, and let's let these guys save their money to re-sign some guys.

Quote:

Diop was restricted

Dallas didn't draft him, Cleveland did. Dallas signed him for peanuts.

Quote:

And didn't Przybilla (he of 16min, 2.0pts, 2.9 fouls for $6mil) leave Atlanta not really wanting to come back?

And why was that? Because of our GM who didn't make him an offer.

Quote:

Last year we got Lorenzen Wright

who is a garbage can

I posted this idea on Sekou's blog a couple days back. Minutes for Shelden are likely to be quite limited with the addition of Al and the improvement of Solomon. Why not try and convince Seattle to take Sheldon in exchange for Johan Petro and a 2008 2nd round pick. Petro has the height and frame (he could stand to add 15-20 lbs), and Seattle is 'blessed' with a couple other 7-footers (remember Sene?). A relatively undersized, but very strong, center to add to other their over supply of 7-footers just might be of interest to the Sonics.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I posted this idea on Sekou's blog a couple days back. Minutes for Shelden are likely to be quite limited with the addition of Al and the improvement of Solomon. Why not try and convince Seattle to take Sheldon in exchange for Johan Petro and a 2008 2nd round pick. Petro has the height and frame (he could stand to add 15-20 lbs), and Seattle is 'blessed' with a couple other 7-footers (remember Sene?). A relatively undersized, but very strong, center to add to other their over supply of 7-footers just might be of interest to the Sonics.

Do you think that Petro is stronger than Horford?

Quote:

Quote:

Do you think that Petro is stronger than Horford?

What makes you think Horford is so strong? He got out benched by Shelden at the combine and got pushed around against Oden.