• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

New Sekou blog

thesheedera

Once they face reality then what? Sign someone? Draft someone bigger than Horford? How would you have drafted this year? What solution do you see?

And I think BK has faced reality on this one. He signed Zaza, then Lo Wright, and Horford. However you feel about those guys, it shows BK has faced the reality that large men are required on NBA teams.

In the end, it's a hole in the roster, but I don't think it's one that is going to ruin the season, or prevent this team from making a decent run at winning half of their games this year. We're only talking about a handful of games and a handful of teams who are able to expose that hole.

And for the record, the Hawks beat Orland 3/4 times last year, and Howard didn't score 20pts once. I don't expect that to continue, but it's still worth noting.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Howard isn't going anywhere. We are going to be facing him for a long time. Should we continue year after year without a player who has any hope of guarding him?

So how did we do so well against Howard last year?

• Premium Member

Quote:

What Sheldon brings to the table simply does not out weigh what a true center on this team can bring.

You can make that statement about every player we have save JJ and Smoove... However, that doesn't mean that we go and throw away a player for a 7 footer just because he's 7 foot.

My feelings on the matter is this: Yes, there are some Centers out there that can be obtained, but before we go into our pocket to buy one, let's first count our money.

Quote:

Quote:

Howard isn't going anywhere. We are going to be facing him for a long time. Should we continue year after year without a player who has any hope of guarding him?

I didn't see the preseason game but from what i read Howard has added a lot to his game.

Last year he couldn't make a basket outside 5 feet.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

The Answer is that no one in their right mind single covers any dominant big man. We double teamed him and forced him to make a pass to someone else! D_mn I get tired of the "sky is falling" mentality of this board!

Quote:

Once they face reality then what? Sign someone? Draft someone bigger than Horford? How would you have drafted this year?

I was on record as drafting conley/stuckey. Then we could try to trade for one of the second tier centers that are probably available. Haywood was just one on the list but he is no longer available.

i figured Stuckey could play the 1/2 role that they have tried to fit Childress into.

Quote:

He signed Zaza, then Lo Wright,

Zaza can't play D and Lo wasn't that good even in his prime. He really isn't big enough to play center even at his best.

Quote:

prevent this team from making a decent run at winning half of their games this year

If the goal is to be mediocre then they Hawks can just keep the roster they have and not make any moves.

Quote:

We're only talking about a handful of games and a handful of teams who are able to expose that hole

You think Howard, Lebron and Wade won't expose that hole in the playoffs year after year? Assuming the Hawks make it there obviously.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I didn't see the preseason game but from what i read Howard has added a lot to his game.

Last year he couldn't make a basket outside 5 feet.

Well I've always been extremely high on Howard, I know you didn't think so much of him.

Regardless, if he's seriously added a jumper, he's going to be unstoppable, REGARDLESS of who guards him.

Since they may want more for Diop than what he is worth what about the other backup center named DJ Mbenga(sp)? I haven't really seen him play but he has an athletic build and is a true 7footer who can run the floor. Maybe he could be somewhat helpful in 12 to 13minutes a game. At best he could be another Mamodou N'Daiye, which isn't saying much be he helped some defensively and got rebounds.

Sekou posted this later in his blog.

By Sekou K. Smith

October 11, 2007 3:19 PM | Link to this

There are big men to be had, folks. Sometimes you have to make a deal to get the kind of player (a bruiser please) that you need. I know there haven’t been many big deals around here in the past few months. But the Hawks have the tools to make it happen. It’s just a matter of when (and more specifically if) they feel the need.

Wish he would clue us in on who he is thinking of.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lets see how our team does against some normal centers

You mean like Curry, Yao, JO and Big Z? We got worked by Chandler and Daly last year.

Horford will play them better than Zaza and Lo (not saying much. On top of that he will burn them on the other end. If Amare can play D on them, why can't Horford? Overall our speed will give us such an advantage over these slow footed/injury prone centers that we should be able to take advantage of them. Our quickness will put them in foul trouble in just about every game. Look at the number of free throws we are already getting.

Boy, was this proven right . . at least for tonight.

Charlotte centers:

Okafor = 2 fouls in 15 minutes

Hollins = fouled out in 27 minutes

Watkins = 5 fouls in 20 minutes

Akindele = 4 fouls in 4 minutes

• Premium Member

Quote:

Charlotte centers:

Most people will of course blame Okafor's performance based on him just having an "off night" or not trying because it's preseason. I really think the "Horford at center" haters are going to have a tough time making up excuses for the lack of production of opposing centers this year.

Quote:

Quote:

Charlotte centers:

Most people will of course blame Okafor's performance based on him just having an "off night" or not trying because it's preseason. I really think the "Horford at center" haters are going to have a tough time making up excuses for the lack of production of opposing centers this year.

LOL i hope i have that problem.

Considering Okafor only played 15 minutes he couldn't have put up big numbers even if he played well. Bernie should get the credit more than Horford.

Since Okafor starts and Horford doesn't it is unlikely they matched up against each other more than 5 minutes.

Their starting center Brezec didn't even play.

Quote:

LOL i hope i have that problem.

Considering Okafor only played 15 minutes he couldn't have put up big numbers even if he played well. Bernie should get the credit more than Horford.

Since Okafor starts and Horford doesn't it is unlikely they matched up against each other more than 5 minutes.

Their starting center Brezec didn't even play.

Bernie does not coach anymore. Troy Vincent does. Time will tell if he is molding the 'cats in the image of the Mavericks.

The division compares to the mid'80s when Detroit and the Hawks were even and uprising. of course the Pistons continued to rise and Fratello sanked the ship.

The 'Cats and the Hawks have a rivalry.