• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

WE HAVE A WNBA TEAM!

Johnnybravo4

Quote:

ok, so playing against WNBA players your team lost 15 - 9.

care to take a guess what the score would be if you guys played NBA players?

i say the WORST NBA team can beat the WNBA ALLSTAR TEAM any day of the week.

when it comes to basketball, men and women are not at the same (or even similar) level.

im not trying to be disrespectful... im just telling you guys how it is.

Agreed all the way. I played some of the Tech girls from time to time, and there is no doubt that they're extremely skilled, but if you're really competing the athletic difference is just too big. Anyone who watched the NBA All-star celebrity game where Brian McKnight absolutely dominated Lisa Leslie knows what I'm talking about.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

All I am saying is that Atlanta does not support the Hawks. Our fans are the joke of the league. Its the quietest arena and always empty. The away announcers always laugh about how its like an away game for the home team. I don't see them supporting a WNBA team.

Atlanta supports winning teams, and stays away from loosing teams. It really isn't any more complex than that in this immigrant city. The Braves didn't draw until they started winning. The old Omni filled right up in the mid 1980s with the good Hawks teams. The Thrashers had very good attendance last year, esp as the playoff push came around.

A WNBA team has the demographics to support it. The WNBA doesn't look for sellouts, they want 8k plus a home game. Will it be supported? I don't know, if they win, then I think they'll succeed.

How about the Phoenix? Its the symbol of the city and it would be a pro-team without an "s" at the end, making it unique. Oh, I just realized its another bird name to go in Phillips arena.

Quote:

when it comes to basketball, men and women are not at the same (or even similar) level.

Cyman, don't you think I know that? I'm just saying that the average "basketball fan", doesn't respect the women's game AT ALL. You know why? Because most basketball fans, are just "niche basketball" fans.

I consider myself a "pure basketball" fan, because I can watch ANYBODY play, and get appreciation out of it.

I mean, with what you say about the women vs NBA players, no one should watch the Little League World Series, because there's no way they can beat a college team. And you shouldn't watch the College World Series, because those guys couldn't beat the Colorado Rockies.

But if you appreciate the skills exhibited on that level from a pure baseball standpoint, you'll be able to watch the little leagers and the college guys all day.

The same goes for women, and basketball.

But a lot of basketball fans, only like a certain type of basketball. Just because a fan loves the NBA, doesn't mean that they love college basketball, and vice versa. I can at least appreciate the skill level that the women bring to the table.

LOL @ taking the WNBA All-stars vs the worst NBA team, and they'll beat them. Of course they would. The inside size advantage alone, would be too great to overcome.

But even the great John Wooden has said the women's game is a more fundamentally sound game, than the men's game. It's all about appreciating the skill set, and looking past the fact that a bunch of women are playing.

Some of you guys won't ever be able to appreciate that, until you have a daughter that plays ball.

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed all the way. I played some of the Tech girls from time to time, and there is no doubt that they're extremely skilled, but if you're really competing the athletic difference is just too big. Anyone who watched the NBA All-star celebrity game where Brian McKnight absolutely dominated Lisa Leslie knows what I'm talking about.

Come on now Las. You sound like a former ballplayer. Do you ACTUALLY think that Lisa Leslie is playing with the same intensity in a celebrity b-ball game, as she would if this were an Olympic game? And I saw the game you're talking about. McKnight can ball. And it was obvious that Lisa was out there, just having fun. But when she wanted to score, she scored with pretty much no problem.

It's one thing to say that the girls you were playing against just couldn't compete, because you were bigger than they were. LOL . . you can say that about the Hawks, whenever we play San Antonio.

I tell you what Pat Summitt encourages her girls to do in Knoxville though. She encourages them to not only play against guys, but to actually run plays against them. Have you ever had a 2-2-1 full court press deployed against you . . during a PICK-UP BASKETBALL GAME? LOL . . when you see ish like that, you better be ready for it, and the guys you're playing with, better be ready for it. I'm sure Parker and the girls have been running guys off the court all semester, because they're running set offensive and defensive plays . . something you hardly ever see in a pick-up game.

During that pick-up game I described in the other post, Nikki had pretty much told her girls that I like to handle the rock and be the floor leader on the team. So from the start, they were doubling my azz as soon as I hit half court, to make me give the ball up. That's part of the reason why we got down 5 - 0. I'd give the ball up to my boy, and he'd take a 20 footer because he was open, instead of going to the hole. I think he missed his first 4 shots, and it was all she wrote from there.

One on one, I could've beaten Azzi off the dribble any time I wanted, or shot over her. But when Azzi and McCray are doubling you from the jump, you have to give the ball up, and hope your teammates can get the ball back to you. LOL . . those chicks were screening us on the offensive end, getting wide open shots. I think we tried to press them, and it worked a few times. After they figured out how to break it, the damn game was virtually over.

Quote:

Come on now Las. You sound like a former ballplayer. Do you ACTUALLY think that Lisa Leslie is playing with the same intensity in a celebrity b-ball game, as she would if this were an Olympic game? And I saw the game you're talking about. McKnight can ball. And it was obvious that Lisa was out there, just having fun. But when she wanted to score, she scored with pretty much no problem.

She might have been joking around the first couple of times, but after that it was clear that she was trying hard for the rest of the game and he contested most of her shots, while he went on to get the MVP. I believe he hit the game winner on her, I forget.

Again, I'm not denying that the women have skills, they play like the men did in the 50's. I'm just saying that the gap between men and women (heads up) is huge. As a guy who respects the women's game, that celebrity game was one of the most embarrassing / hilarious things I've ever seen.

Can you imagine if the face of the league (say Lebron or Tim Duncan or Shaq) got abused in a game by a singer? I know it's not the same, but it still looks bad.

Quote:

I looked. It was Ex.

No it was me. I have the private message to prove it.:

DAMNIT YOU @SSHOLE LOL

you ruined my thread!

delete that post man!

i made a bet with Chillz I could

a. find out how many lesbians post here and

b. have atleast 6 people call me a name

LOL dude you are going to ruin it.

please edit that post!

Quote:

Quote:

She might have been joking around the first couple of times, but after that it was clear that she was trying hard for the rest of the game and he contested most of her shots, while he went on to get the MVP. I believe he hit the game winner on her, I forget.

Again, I'm not denying that the women have skills, they play like the men did in the 50's. I'm just saying that the gap between men and women (heads up) is huge. As a guy who respects the women's game, that celebrity game was one of the most embarrassing / hilarious things I've ever seen.

Can you imagine if the face of the league (say Lebron or Tim Duncan or Shaq) got abused in a game by a singer? I know it's not the same, but it still looks bad.

In a real game, McKnight would've been doubled, and forced to give the ball up. And actually, I think it was he and Diana Taursi, who got them back in that game in order for them to win.

But here's the REAL QUESTION.

Have you seen some of the Sqawkers play? If so, could a Hawksquawk all-star team beat the US women's National Team?

Not having seen anybody from this board play (except for existing friends that I pointed here), I highly doubt we could beat the US team. Just like your average woman can't keep up athletically with your average man, your average working man who wastes time posting online doesn't have the athleticism of a pro female athlete in her prime. Hell I don't know if you could field a team that could run for 40 minutes without being winded.

Are you seriously comparing a group of guys from an obscure message board to the US women's national team and suggesting that means women are playing good basketball?

An average D3 men's basketball team could easily win the WNBA championship. That's not good basketball.

Silly. Comparing men and women. In fact, they ARE

different. Hope you've already noticed this.

Seriously, men are, for the most part, taller, heavier

and much stronger. No contest. A good men's team

simply overpowers a women's team. That's not the point

of women's basketball.

Men play over the rim. Slam dunks is the rule of the day.

If that's your thing. If that's what basketball is all

about for you, then forget the women's games.

Becoming a redneck WNBA fan - - -

If you can enjoy someone who doesn't have to be

above the goal and throw it down, you just might be

a redneck WNBA fan.

If you can enjoy basketball played ar a very high speed

with a lot of hustle plays, you have a chance at becoming

a redneck WNBA fan.

If you could bring yourself to watch a beautiful, talented

female (Candice Parker comes to mind) play a great game

of the female variety of basketball, perhaps there is

yet hope for you to become a redneck WNBA fan.

If you insist that all you wish to watch must have a

beard and harry legs, forget the WNBA. But, if you

have a real eye for some nice looking chicks who have

a lot of athletic ability, you are a candidate to become

a real redneck WNBA fan.

thumb3d.gifthumb3d.gifthumb3d.gifthumb3d.gifthumb3d.gif

Quote:

Are you seriously comparing a group of guys from an obscure message board to the US women's national team and suggesting that means women are playing good basketball?

An average D3 men's basketball team could easily win the WNBA championship. That's not good basketball.

First off . . . GrayMule always understands. We need to start calling him "Obi-Wan" Gray Mule.

Now . . back to what I was going to originally post.

See . . this is what I'm talking about BDawg. Just flat out no respect for the women's game, because they can't do some of the things that the men can do. The reason why I mentioned the "Hawksquawk All-Star team", was to see just how far the disrespect went.

Once again, the major difference between men and women in basketball, has to do with height, speed and strength. When you talk about how to play the game, from a fundamental and strategy standpoint, there is very little difference, if any at all.

I've heard people say that Pat Summitt couldn't coach a men's basketball team on the college level, because college basketball is played "above the rim". Are you serious?

She's the same woman that had her 3-time national championship team in the late 90's, running Tex Winter's triple post offense. You know . . the same offense that Tex employed with the Bulls, when they won all of those titles?

Matter of fact, she went to Tex herself to see how it was run. She can coach the game, regardless of who she's coaching. The ONLY problem she might run into with the men, is getting their total respect. But hell, men who coach men run into that problem too. ( see Woody and Smoove )

From a skill standpoint, Diana Taursi plays the game at a very high level. Same goes for Candace Parker. A woman like Seimone Augustus may have the best mid-range shot in basketball . . men or women . . period.

But most men who call themselves hardcore basketball fans, for whatever reason, can't appreciate the same traits that make a guy like Kevin Durant special, if they see those same traits in a woman like Candace Parker.

That's the difference between a pure basketball fan . . and a fan that just watches the NBA or college.

Some people who watch NBA ball, can't stand college ball. And vice versa. If you can't watch both NBA and college, including the women, you don't appreciate the skill and mental capacity it takes to play basketball on any level.

Ish . . I can watch a bunch of 8-year olds play junior league basketball, and enjoy it for the different skills that each kid brings to the table.

Like Obi-Wan said . . I can appreciate the game when it isn't played above the rim. It doesn't take a highlight dunk to get me excited about the game. A great pass gets me excited.