• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Joe Says NO to PG...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

"I know Joe doesn't like running the [point] anymore because it's a lot of extra work for him. We rebounded the ball a lot better in the second quarter when we rolled that lineup, but it's not something I'd want to live on. We need Acie [Law IV], Speedy [Claxton] and [Tyronn] Lue back."

Claxton is not with the team for personal reasons, and Lue (knee) and Law (wrist) sat out with injuries. That left Anthony Johnson and rookie free agent Jamaal Tatum, who has battled a tender hamstring the past two weeks, as the only other available point guards.

That forced Joe Johnson into some spot duty at the position, which he played during his first season with the Hawks (2005-06) and averaged 20.2 points, 6.5 assists and 4.1 rebounds.

Tuesday night he finished with 13 points and eight assists, and the assists number would have been in double digits had his teammates converted a couple more plays.

"I don't know that I want to be doing this all the time," Johnson said. "I'll do it in spurts, but I'm not really trying to do that again, play the whole game at [point guard]. It just takes away too much from what I need to do offensively.

"But as long as we win, and I'm only doing it in spurts, I can't complain."

I find this funny. He was brought here to be "our PG of the future"... grin.gif Anything BK can use to convince people to do what he wants done. One day, you may hear Smoove Say "I don't want to play PF any more. Only in Spurts, but it takes away what I'm trying to do at the Sf spot."

Here is the link to the whole story.

click

I never did buy the JJ as pg nonsense.

Quote:

One day, you may hear Smoove Say "I don't want to play PF any more. Only in Spurts, but it takes away what I'm trying to do at the Sf spot."

Amazing how you can take any scenario with the team and manage to fit your agenda in their somewhere. Very impressive.

Quote:

"I don't know that I want to be doing this all the time," Johnson said. "I'll do it in spurts, but I'm not really trying to do that again, play the whole game at [point guard]. It just takes away too much from what I need to do offensively.

If only Marvin said this. There would be names like "quitter" and "not a team player" floating around.

ya know somethin guys...

I'm pretty sure BK just said that JJ was going to be our PG to maintain a good relationship with Chillz. At the time Chillz was starting to wonder because BK told him he was the starting SG and when the JJ talk came about, he started to wonder "but i thought you said this BK?"

so i think it was to appease chillz, but bk knew that JJ wouldn't work out as pg all along

Quote:

ya know somethin guys...

I'm pretty sure BK just said that JJ was going to be our PG to maintain a good relationship with Chillz. At the time Chillz was starting to wonder because BK told him he was the starting SG and when the JJ talk came about, he started to wonder "but i thought you said this BK?"

so i think it was to appease chillz, but bk knew that JJ wouldn't work out as pg all along

Yeah...that sends a nice message from management to players...how do you know if we are lying to you? It's easy,...our mouths are moving. stirthepot.gif

• Premium Member

It's still very shocking... But I wouldn't label him a non-team player just yet. He's the leader of this team. It's just shocking to hear him say what he's not going to do?? He did preference it by saying he'd do it in Spurts if it helped the team win. However, my question is why not do it full time if it helped the team win?

• Premium Member

I think BK promoted it to ensure that the deal went through. At the time, Chillz was coming off a strong second half of the season at SG... and It looked as if He and Smoove were our 2,3 of the future. So in order to make Ownership bite, I think he tried to sell them that JJ would play PG and Al would play PF... and we'd have our team shell.

Well.... That didn't happen.

Quote:

It's still very shocking... But I wouldn't label him a non-team player just yet. He's the leader of this team. It's just shocking to hear him say what he's not going to do?? He did preference it by saying he'd do it in Spurts if it helped the team win. However, my question is why not do it full time if it helped the team win?

I think the premise is that he'll do it to help the team win on the occassion that we're thin at PG.

• Premium Member

I understand and appreciate that.

My question is this:

IF we find that JJ playing the Point wins... and makes our squad Better... Would he do it 100% of the time? I get the feeling the answer is no.

• Premium Member

Quote:

IF we find that JJ playing the Point wins... and makes our squad Better... Would he do it 100% of the time? I get the feeling the answer is no.

That's just the thing, it WOULDN'T make our team better and JJ knows that. JJ would get absolutely abused by quick PGs.

• Premium Member

Of course he would IMO, but that's just not possible.

What I got from his interview was that he didn't want to play PG because we need his scoring, and he can't score as effictively and efficiently while trying to set everyone else up at the same time. This team doesn't have a true 2nd option (as of now), we DAMN sure need his scoring, and he knows that.

• Premium Member

Don't you think it odd that on a night when we scored 103 points and everybody got into the scoring roundtable and had it not been for AJ's shooting we would have probably shot better than 50% that JJ's saying he doesn't want to play PG?

Honestly, our offense haven't really clicked that well in a long time. If him playing PG is an answer... I think that what he was suggesting tonight is that even though we were successful doing this, I don't want to do this fulltime.

• Premium Member

You do realize that we played Minnesota right? They are almost a legit LOCK to have the worst record in the NBA. They didn't even have Foye who is their 2nd best prospect/player.

JJ played against Marko Jaric for most of the game, a 6'7" complete scrub PG who isn't athletic at all. Jaric isn't even a true PG either. I think I would wait for some better examples than the Timberwolves.