• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Am I the only one worried the Smoove has not

Peoriabird

Quote:

Not every Sf has to be Larry Bird.

And not ever PF has to be a traditional low-post scorer (instead, I would argue you need one of either your PF or C to do that... it doesnt have to be the PF... see Phx).

Why is it that there is no set mold for a SF (as you say here), but there is a set mold for a PF (a low-post scorer)?

I mean, come on, how obviously hyprocritical can you be?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

In all likelihood, shot selection will continue to be a key area of Josh Smith's game that he needs to improve this season. The two things he needs for his offense to take off are continued development of his offensive skills and improvement in shot selection. He has already made some strides in both areas and hopefully will continue that progression this year rather than do the "start off the year rough and improve" routine we have seen from some of our guys in past seasons.

Quote:

shown improvement in his offense this year?

Seems like the board has been so focused on Marvin's summer that Smoove's so called new post moves or lack there of have not been the focus of this board in the preseason! Heck even Woodson had to yank him last night for taking all of those bad outside shots. I think that we are going to have to forget about Josh Smith as a reliable second scorer because he truly doesn't have the skills. Don't get me wrong, Smoove is a wonderful athlete whom the Hawks need on the team defensively but offensively, he is probably no more than a complimentary player. He desperately needs to improve his shot selection and his basketball IQ to not be a liability on offense and to get his shooting percentage up to where it is comparable to other power forwards in the league. Also, according to posters that attended the game, his man defense could stand some major improvements also.

22322.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Josh Smith has bought himself some slump like grace periods with his emergence as a true NBA stud over the last few seasons.

I'm not sure I understand your statement about being a stud over the past 2 season? You talk like he was considered for the all star team at some point as a Hawk. The fact still remains is that a lot of experts outside of Atlanta still don't like his game at all!

I used the word "emergence" for a reason. He's currently in the midst of becoming an NBA stud and his growth accelerated at a very impressive pace throughout last season. "Stud" is not a very definitive description, but it's my way of saying that he's become an elite level talent - not on the all star plateau yet, but clearly in the upper tier of NBA players. Almost every team in the league would find a way to get him 30 + minutes.

He's a stud, he's an emerging star, he's well known for his style of play and his unique all-around impact on games. His learning curve has shown to be steep, and his potential for further improvement is still huge.

I'm sure there are plenty of critics, but I doubt any team in the NBA would take a pass on him if they had a chance to get him for a good deal.

Peoriabird is trying to take shots at Smith now because his gay lover Marvin Williams has played well in 5 meaningless games. Smith has earned the right to be the teams 2nd scorer at this moment talk to me when the season starts and these games really count lets see what these players do. This guy is trying to jump the gun and start something in hopes people agree with Marvin WIlliams being the second scorer. 5 preseason games now Marvin Williams is an allstar get real dude.

Chill out man. Most people on here know that Smoove is the 2nd option. But, some nights it will be ZaZa, some Chill, some MW, some maybe even Horford.

Who cares who the 2nd option is? It's about the team over any individual. And if JJ starts dribbling away the clock to settle for J's then screw that as well.

The Hawks need to play together, this first option, second option is not worth talking about but Smoove is our 2nd best player. Maybe best overall.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin can drive to the basket with the ball better than Josh.

No he doesn't, at all. Smith scores MORE inside at a higher percentage, while getting his shot blocked MUCH less. Smith proved very successful when driving to the basket last season.

Quote:

At this point in time, Marvin is better posting up than Josh as well.

It's probably a wash, but that point really doesn't even matter because neither post up with any regularity.

the pressure should be on all of them to win games. that's why I'm happy in hindsight we wound up with Law and Horford.

They're winners. Hopefully they can make winners out of the rest of this bunch.

Quote:

Here's the thing. JSmoove was a project out of HS that was basically taken due to some mad athletic skills and his Atlanta connection. He was a no-brainer shot-in-the-dark by a clueless BK. He shouldn't have to be in the conversation as far as being a second scoring option - the simple fact that he has made the starting lineup is major ups for JS. The guys who should be the second scoring options are the guys taken at 2 - 5 - 6 in previous drafts. Putting pressure on JS for making HUGE strides from HS is BS IMHO. The pressure should be on JC/MW/SW.
pillepalle.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

To me that not an improvement! But whatever!

Just wait until the season starts before you claim he "hasn't improved offensively" that's just lame. It's PRESEASON and you haven't even seen him play. BTW he shot 7-12 in that game. Noone can judge if his skillset has improved without seeing the games, you should know that. And there HAVE been reports that he's added a turnaround J down low, and one game he made a "dreamlike" shake before being hacked by the defender because he was about to tear the rim off. Based on what I've read, his skillset has improved, hopefully is shot selection will also improve.

Smoove can go 2-10 shooting and still impact the game like nobody else. Forget his offense...look at his impact on the game, the way he fills up a stat sheet.

When he scores 20 with efficient shooting then that's gravy. His blocks, rebounds, and even passing is critical.

Smoove and Marvin both are better than average passers for their positions. Smoove and Marvin are both unselfish. Horford is also a GREAT big man passer. We have some skills that win games now...not just scoring.

• Admin

I thought we established long ago that in application, Josh is a tweener. He doesn't have the size or game of a PF and he doesn't have the handles or shot of a SF. The only way he ever plays full time SF for a team is if they have a very specialized lineup, well coached lineup (phoenix, dallas, etc). Otherwise he's always going to be shuffled around because of his tweenerisms.

Quote:

Peoriabird is trying to take shots at Smith now because his gay lover Marvin Williams has played well in 5 meaningless games. Smith has earned the right to be the teams 2nd scorer at this moment talk to me when the season starts and these games really count lets see what these players do. This guy is trying to jump the gun and start something in hopes people agree with Marvin WIlliams being the second scorer. 5 preseason games now Marvin Williams is an allstar get real dude.

WOW

Relax?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

WOW

Relax?

I had to laugh when I read that one! drink.gif

I know, and that's funny. I've had my butt in season tix since 1985. I'm a Hawk fan even if all current Hawks are replaced. I love Smoove's game but he isn't beyond reproach. He isn't Jordan or Kobe or LeBron.

He is a potentially great player on the rise who does a number of things well. But, you don't have to piss all over another player to make your point. We know that the allegiance to Smoove trumps the team because we read the board. I just wish there were less people obsessed with a player (positive and negative) and more concerned with the Atlanta Hawks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think some people on this board are more fans of a particular player than they are of the team in general.

Understatement of the century right there.

I dread the day that Josh Smith is traded, but I personally expect Horford to push him out of Atlanta. The question for me is how many years it takes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I think some people on this board are more fans of a particular player than they are of the team in general.

Understatement of the century right there.

I dread the day that Josh Smith is traded, but I personally expect Horford to push him out of Atlanta. The question for me is how many years it takes.

Careful man! You might be accused of being someone's gay lover if you continue to talk like this! tapedshut.gif