ZaZa / Sheldon

or

Team #2

Law / AJ

Kobe / Chills

JJ / Marvin

Horford / Solo

ZaZa / Sheldon

Man that is tough call. I go team #2 mainly b/c we don't have to worry over paying to match an offer to Smoove.

JJ and Horfy do "know how to play" as some one else said.

I think we'd be pretty darn close, but Kobe's not asking me for advice on this one, and ultimately his opinion is the only one that matters.

I really doubt he thinks the Atlanta Hawks are as attractive of an option as the Bulls and Mavs. We're fooling ourselves if we think we're even being discussed in these talks right now.

Quote:

I think we'd be pretty darn close, but Kobe's not asking me for advice on this one, and ultimately his opinion is the only one that matters.

I really doubt he thinks the Atlanta Hawks are as attractive of an option as the Bulls and Mavs. We're fooling ourselves if we think we're even being discussed in these talks right now.

I agree that we aren't on Kobe's radar for a team. That said, the Hawks actually can offer the best pieces to the Lakers for a trade. Some combo of JJ plus one of our forwards beats anything that Chicago and/or Dallas can pony up.

As much as I dislike Kobe's personality, his talent is undeniable. A team of Law/Kobe/Marvin (or Smith or Childress)/Horf/Zaza would be very difficult to beat.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree that we aren't on Kobe's radar for a team. That said, the Hawks actually can offer the best pieces to the Lakers for a trade. Some combo of JJ plus one of our forwards beats anything that Chicago and/or Dallas can pony up.

As much as I dislike Kobe's personality, his talent is undeniable. A team of Law/Kobe/Marvin (or Smith or Childress)/Horf/Zaza would be very difficult to beat.

We would then need to shore up the ownership situationa nd get a championship level coach on board.

You don't buy a Bentley and let a drunk homeless man drive you and all of his smelly buddies around in it.

"We would then need to shore up the ownership situation and get a championship level coach on board."

I couldn't agree more. However, it looks like ownership may be straightened out sooner than later if the Hartley firing is any indication that the ASG is starting exert real control over the teams...

1) The Lakers aren't doing any deal with us, unless it involved JJ . . . period. If I were a Laker fan, I'd be mad as hell, if all I got back for Kobe, was Smith, Childress, and M. Williams.

2) I think this situation is a little different from the Minnesota one, in that both Minny and Boston were desperate to do something. Boston got to keep their superstar in Pierce, while the T-Wolves, who didn't want to pay Garnett 20+ million, then risk losing him for nothing after this season, bit the bullet and took on all of Boston's young talent. Right now, the Lakers don't feel that they have to do something RIGHT NOW. If this was next year, wtih Kobe's player option coming up in 2009, the feeling there would be much more critical.

3) If you trade Horford, we're right back where we started from, with no legitimate inside scorer.

4) I wouldn't even consider doing the deal anyway. Not now. Not until I see how these group of Hawks come out during November. The best thing about our tough schedule out of the gate, is that we really get to see where this team is at vs elite teams.

5) Why bail the Lakers out of this situation? If Kobe is unhappy, let his azz be unhappy. He'll opt out in 2 years anyway, and then we can get into the bidding war for his services.

6) A Kobe trade might get us in the playoffs, but it doesn't make us a title contender, because we'd lose JJ in the process. And it's a very real possibility that we lose Kobe after 2 years anyway, when his player option comes up in 2009.

In all, it's too risky of a deal for the Hawks to make, if they're trying to build a winner for the long term. If a deal does go down for Kobe, it'll be more to put fannies in the seats, than about winning.

• Premium Member

Actually, Kobe has some real leverage with his no-trade clause, and that's why I think there's no way JJ leaves Atlanta. He wouldn't want to play here otherwise.

If Kobe even considered coming to Atlanta, it would be for Josh Smith & Co.

Quote:

Actually, Kobe has some real leverage with his no-trade clause, and that's why I think there's no way JJ leaves Atlanta. He wouldn't want to play here otherwise.

If Kobe even considered coming to Atlanta, it would be for Josh Smith & Co.

They already did a trade for a bunch of mid-leve talent, when they traded Shaq. To do it again, would drive that fan base crazy.

So if I'm the Lakers, I'm looking to get a star player + a damn good complimentary player, in exchange for Kobe. Nothing less than that. If Kobe doesn't play in ATL without JJ, and if the Lakers don't make a trade unless it involved JJ, then the deal might as well not be discussed.

Then they better be prepared to be mad as h*ll at a deal with Chicago. I would take Josh Smith alone over just about everything Chicago is offering. Ben Gordon has maxed his potential. He is a score-in-bunches combo guard off the bench who will command $10+M next year. Tyrus Thomas is about the same age as Josh Smith (maybe a year younger) and isn't nearly as good. I wouldn't trade Josh Childress for Joakim Noah right now. To be honest, I wouldn't trade Marvin Williams for Ben Gordon. My Kobe offer would be:

Marvin / JSmith / Shelden / Claxton for Kobe / MEvans / big

Look at what Dallas is likely offering:

Josh Howard / Jason Terry / Devin Harris

Josh Howard is a player I like BUT he is what he is. He is a 2nd or 3rd scorer on a good team who can get to the FT line and play with energy. Terry doesn't have much value, IMO, because he has to be playing with other good players to make a positive contribution. Devin Harris still has potential and would be a good fit for a rebuilding team like the Lakers (assuming they trade Kobe).

So here are the deals:

Howard/JT/Harris

Gordon/Noah/Thomas/Nocioni

Marion/Barbosa/ATL 08' 1st

JSmith/Marvin/Shelden/Speedy

I believe Marion can opt out after next year. He will likely command close to $20M. Definitely not worth much more than half that. I like Barbosa in a Ben Gordon-like role and the Atlanta pick certainly could have value. Lakers aren't going to be a contender when they trade Kobe. They should make a deal for pieces that can grow with Crittenton/Bynum. They could play big:

Javaris Crittenton

Marvin Williams

Lamar Odom

Josh Smith

Andrew Bynum

Quote:

6) A Kobe trade might get us in the playoffs, but it doesn't make us a title contender, because we'd lose JJ in the process. And it's a very real possibility that we lose Kobe after 2 years anyway, when his player option comes up in 2009.

how much more time is left on jj's contract? he's already been here a couple years (or have i just lost sense of time). won't his contract be running out in two or three more years?

on the one hand, having kobe playing for the hawks seems like an exciting proposition now, but honestly, i don't think he'd be any happier here than he is now in la.